The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. My point was there has to be a feint to kick at the ball to have an offense, not merely a stop.

Attempts to deceive are part of soccer and not inherently illegal. The question is when they become illegal/unsporting. IFAB has told us that, on a PK, it is when there is a feint to kick at the ball. It's always tough to judge written descriptions and to include all the key details in them. If, ITOOTR, that was a feint to kick the ball, then its an offense that needs to be called. (And as I noted, I'm with you on the idea that I'm not construing in the kicker's favor if he wants to try this stunt.) From your description, I didn't see a "feint to kick," just a stop. And just a stop is legal.

I also think I like the continuous motion concept as it seems more clear to me--though there may be hiccups with it, too.

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #827 RefIADad, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    I never say a word on judgment calls (and like you, I usually sit away from the masses because I don't want to feed off of any commentary - fortunately, our parents are pretty quiet because they know I officiate and know I'm not going to say anything on judgment calls during the game). I also counsel my son to not argue judgment calls. However, wrong rule interpretations are completely different. When I played baseball, I also umpired. My coaches got me involved with rules issues with them (i.e. they came with me so I could explain) because they knew I could explain the rules better than they could as an umpire.

My son shouldn't have yelled the rule (he should have said this to his coach, but kids do what kids do), but I'm absolutely not going to criticize my son for knowing the laws of the game and being able to question a rule interpretation.

If the referee didn't want the blowback, then know the rules and interpret them correctly. That's why we are paid. We will all miss judgment calls. I tell my son I've never officiated a perfect game. However, the one thing that I will not be burned on is going into a game not knowing the laws of the game and the rules of competition. The two things I expect from referees is 1) know the rules and 2) hustle.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Again, what would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot? I would bet nothing. And, I know you think the world of your son, but saying it’s okay to YELL at a referee is something I disagree with strongly. He wasn’t questioning, he was yelling.

4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty obvious we are going to just have to disagree on this one and move forward. Perhaps next time, the referee in question will know his rules better. You never know who is going to be sitting in your crowd. I also said that my son should have handled things better. He should have told his coach, and the coach should have communicated. We had a discussion about this yesterday. He was right about the rule, but you have to go about things differently.

As for talking to the assignor, that would have gone nowhere. This assignor has "his guys" and he doesn't allow other referees to work in the tournaments he assigns. The complaints about tournaments in this town have been long and loud by multiple clubs, and nothing's ever done about it. I offered to help two weeks before the tournament, and despite my reputation and qualifications (Iowa's not that big - we often officiate at the same events all over the state with the same officials), I was told "show up and we'll try to get you on some games." It's lazy and unprofessional assigning, and I didn't even bother bringing my gear to help out. Several people asked why I wasn't officiating on Saturday, and I told them why. Most of them just gave a nod of the head and some variant of that being par for the course in this town.

5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Not a problem. But, after two requests, you still haven’t answered the question about the shoe on the other foot. And, you have disparaged the assignor, too. Quite smug.

6. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about other areas of the country, but where I am from, referees have been warned and suspended for openly criticizing other officials. We have been told that you are a referee even when you are not officiating a match. If you see officiating mistakes or ways that an official can improve, you need to talk to them in private.

Rufusabc repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd tell our coach that it's an illegal play.

As for the assignor, how is that disparaging? I did everything expected of an out of town referee that we discuss on this board. I even offered some game time options to make his job easier. They needed referees at this tournament, just like they need referees everywhere. I got a "thanks, but no thanks - we'll let you know if we need you" while referees were working non-stop from 8 in the morning until 6 at night. I've officiated in multiple tournaments and multiple states, and in every other case the assignors are more than happy to work around my schedule as long as I'm up front with them and don't turn games back once I commit - even if game schedules change.

I understand assignors have a very difficult job, which is why I do everything in my power to help make their lives easier. If it's "smug" to express my displeasure with how I was treated when I was willing to help (and sacrifice time from my family during the day), I guess I'll have to accept that.

dadman repped this.
  8. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    If teams didn't like it, they'd stop coming and stop paying the tourney fees.

9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    What makes you think I'm disagreeing?

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    From quoting me and going to the magic book, I thought you were implying I missed something, but I couldn't figure out what it was. And now I know why. :)

11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I was simply offering a higher power in support of the opinion of socal lurker. ITOOTSLR?

12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I took us down this rabbit hole. Nothing makes me more frustrated than seeing rules misapplied. I take a great deal of pride in being prepared and understanding the rules, and it greatly frustrates me when I don't see the same level of preparation from others. It was a frustrating weekend with game changes, having to deal with others not following our state's Covid guidelines (and then acting like we were the ones at fault), and I took my frustrations out here.

I'm not going to apologize for how I felt about the situation. However, I should have kept quiet and followed the chain of command to report the problem. I'll do that next time.

dadman and djmtxref repped this.
  13. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    U13 boys (w)rec(k). At kickoff, purple player to a teammate: "What is our record?" Teammate: "We are undefeated. You knew that." Player: "I know. I just wanted them to know."

Final score - Yellow 2, Purple 0.

MJ91, Law5, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karma works in interesting ways . . .

dadman and Gary V repped this.
  15. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    sleeping dogs......
    sleeping dogs.

dadman, IASocFan and socal lurker repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of work, I had to turn the games back. I wouldn't have said anything - I was wearing a cap and a mask, so they would have never recognized me anyway. :)

dadman, IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.
  17. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    So today was one of those days where I/we heard EVERYTHING. Was working our local, extra fun, mainly hispanic, adult league and it's playoff time. These games are normally very intense and now they are the freeking world cup. Players are yelling at their teammates, opponents and of course, the refs. Because of the drought in the NE, we were forced off our normal full sized field (grass is just about gone) and onto an oversized 9v9 field, with smaller goals. Too small and bodies are pinballing all over the place.

These guys like to play physical and generally don't bitch about hard play, but foul someone and both teams yell. One about the foul and the other because you called the foul. Game is about to start and I look at the game ball and it is crap. Hard enough, but old and ragged. Ask teams if they have a better ball and nope. So 2 minutes in and green has a goal kick. Center back picks up ball and yells at me the ball sucks. I said, you got a better one? He gestures to his bench and they throw a good ball on. He then punts the old ball straight behind the goal, deep into the woods. Of course the ball belongs to the other team and they are all yelling. I go up to him and ask him if he goal was to piss off the entire other team because he just did.

I had a play where the attacker was late to the ball and took out the defender. I blow extra loud, call the foul, give the YC, am writing it up, and the defender comes over and goes "c'mon ref, c'mon". I look up and ask him what the heck he wants me to do? He just says "c'mon ref" again and walks away. I really think they just want to complain.

I had another play where two players go high for a header and one of them throws the elbow. I call the foul and give the YC and he is loudly incredulous. Wants to know why. I told him (just as loudly) he elbowed the guy. He says, "what are you so upset about?" I say "you guys are trying to kill each other". He goes "c'mon, no one got hurt". I'm speechless. A few minutes later, I call another foul and everyone is yelling, and I yell "foul on blue, green kick, move back". Same guys goes, "hey ref, relax, we're just yelling at you, I think you need a drink"

5 minutes to play and green is desperate to tie the game. Blue is dribbling the ball along the sideline and green thinks the ball is out and just stops, but AR is right there and signaling play on. After ball is kicked out, green turns to AR and says he is the reason they are losing the game. I learned this after the game was over.

Finally we get to the end of the game. Blue had come back from 2-0 and won 4-3. 2 PKs and 5 YCs. I have added 8 minutes of extra time due to pks, subs, injuries, and general time wasting. Of course green thinks that is not nearly enough. Green middie goes past me and wants to know how much other team is paying me. Then green back goes by and says I don't deserve my money. I just chuckling to myself and want to ask them which is it? Ironic thing is that green is the team I most enjoy watching. They are small and fast and relay on passing and skill, rather than banging the crap out of the other team, which is all too common in this league.

As we are leaving the field, one of the subs who did not play (no re-entry league) tells us we did a great job as obviously it was a very tough and intense game. And that was a great way to end the day!

dadman and seattlebeach repped this.
  18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/governance/bylaws

Policy Manual. 531-11. Section 4.

Now whether or not your state association and/or SRC has a functioning Ethics and Grievance Committee is another story. We choose to be a members of U.S. Soccer and as such that ethical code applies 24/7, 365.

dadman, Law5 and Kit repped this.
  19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U14 girls center. Black is leading White 1-0. A pretty wild scramble in the penalty area sees me come into the penalty area. While just 5-6 yards from play (yes, I realize I could have been hit by a ball that would have been egg on my face, but I was sensing a potential hot spot for trouble), I clearly watch White's goalkeeper trip Black's attacker with both arms outstretched. I immediately whistle for a penalty and point to the spot.

White team's defender: "That's our goalkeeper!" (Admittedly, I think the defender felt like the keeper had possession of the ball. This was not the case at all. Had it been, I would have been right on top of the players calling something to the effect of "Keeper has it!!" Something like this really does help me defuse potentially volatile situations where the keeper has possession and attackers are looking to hack away.)

Me: "I know it is. She can commit a foul as a keeper."

IASocFan, dadman and MJ91 repped this.
  20. swoot

swoot Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Girls HS game, about 15 minutes into the first half when I whistle for a foul on the visiting team. Parent from the home team hollers "She's been doing that the whole game."

I wanted to turn around and tell them that they weren't allowed to use that line until the second half. Just walked away shaking my head.

dadman and MJ91 repped this.
  21. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    U10 wreck. In this league, all kicks are indirect at U8, not U10. Five minutes in, a defender swatted the ball away in the PA. I called for the PK. Coach yells "All kicks are indirect." I said "Not at U10, Coach." "Yes. Direct isn't until U12." "Even for penalty kicks?" "Yes. This should be an indirect penalty kick."

o_O

Beau Dure, roby, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  22. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    #847 MJ91, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Gah, I did a couple of U8's this weekend in between some older Rec youth games... same here with indirect on all free kicks up to and including U8.

In my 2nd match, kid does a toe-tap on top of the ball, ball doesn't even quiver, then teammate takes off dribbling... [tweet]. I quick-explain and am thinking maybe a do-over as is often done here for U8's on things like throw-in's to help them learn. But, coach wants to argue... "All he had to do is TOUCH IT!" I smile, explained "kicked and clearly moves" once more, but she's not having it. So, meanie me goes by-the-book gives the opponent the IFK.

Same coach in 2nd half... foul on opponent, her team toe-pokes it over and past everyone into the back of the net. I signal goal kick. Here we go again... "But we scored!" No, coach, ball didn't touch any other player before going in. "Are you trying to say that was indirect?!?" Yes, coach, all free kicks in U8 are indirect AND I held my arm in the air just in case. "But it was a great kick!!! That's hardly fair!"

Yes, they are getting worse and at earlier age groups...

IASocFan, voiceoflg, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  23. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I had an MBB game yesterday with an IFK (they all are in our league), two fast touches later the ball is in the net and I'm pointing back for a KO.
    Complaint #1 - "Ref! You have to whistle for a restart!"
    Me - "I didn't have to."
    Complaint #2 - "Ref! You didn't signal indirect kick!" (surely I'm getting set up by someone who lurks on BS)
    Me - " Oh yes I did. My arm was up in the air." - (Ha! Set up rejected into the 3rd row!)

IASocFan, voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    there are just too many tempting responses to that . . .

voiceoflg repped this.
  25. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    This season, the benches are mostly on opposite sides of the field, which seems a good excuse for the coaches to parade up and down the touchlines. At the lower levels, I usually allow the coaches to do that because of the teaching aspect. But, as soon as a word of dissent occurs, I’m putting them in the technical area for the rest of the game.

I am also not taking a word of dissent from any HS assistant coaches either. They complain about one thing, they are banished to the bench.

IASocFan, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.