The Team. The Time. Your 2006 Nl East Champion, New York Mets!

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by otterulz, Sep 15, 2006.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so a tad premature, but can you blame me?

Anyway, here's part 2 of our Mets discussion.

2. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I want us to tank this series and clinch at home.

Ok, I don't, but god damn this feels good. The Pedro signing started this turn-around, and how fitting that he can seal a huge part of it tonight.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My buddy informed me that he got picked for playoff tickets. If all goes right, I'm going to game 1 of the 2006 NLDS.

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Wasn't picked, but it's always helpful to know someone that knows someone. I'm going to these ********ing games.

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

I'm psychic.

What the hell was that? I'm gonna try to go to the first game of the set now, to see if we clinch.

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I jinx it?

7. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Now it's official! And just for good measure, the Phils lost tonight too. Now all that's left is to lock up home-field for the NL playoffs, and set the rotation up.

And, the MLB postseason cash grab begins, as for only 25 bucks you can get the official Mets NL East Championship locker-room hat (that doesn't say NL East Champions on it.) That right there is why I only even think about buying those hats when a team wins it all. I'd love it if it was a possibility, but I'm not dropping 75 bucks for a Division, League, and World Series Champs hat.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a 2000 Wild Card hat for some reason. I think they made us wear it at the Mets Clubhouse Shop after they won it and I ended up just taking it.

But yes, it's official. First time since 88, we are the NL East Champions.

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Thread surprisingly slow today.

Anyway, the division is ours as everyone knows. 5th time in our history and first since 1988. It's nice to know that Lo Duca and Delgado are gonna see the postseason for the first time. Also kinda hard to believe that they're going to be seeing it only for the first time. Also rewarding for the guys who have been here the longest. Trachsel has been here since 2001 and has been underappreciated in my opinion. He deserves this. The controvesial signing of Glavine is finally showing its rewards. Cliff Floyd, the guy who said there was no light at the end of the tunnel a few years back has seen it and it's shining bright, even if his performance this season has been a significant drop. He knows he hasn't been peforming and he's greatful to be here. He's class.

The great thing about this club is chemistry. Just watching them celebrate last night, you could see it so well. Everyone jumping up and down together and hugging it out. I dunno, maybe I'm a little bit biased since I'm a Met fan, but it just looks like they enjoy each other more than any other team. You see the two kids that are the future of the Mets, who probably couldn't be any more different from each other in Wright and Reyes, yet they seem like the closest of friends. You see Valentin who says he hasn't had this much fun playing in the Majors in his entire career. You have Wagner bear-hugging Fred Wilpon for bringing him over. Lo Duca being the leader he is and enjoying the moment, knowing he's gonna see October. Same with Delgado, a guy who said no to us last season and now will see October as well. And how ********in cool was it to see Duaner Sanchez there in the dugout, cheering the team on and taking part in the celebrations also?

We still have a couple weeks left before the real season begins. I don't care if we got swept by one of the worst in the NL. I don't care if we can't hit left-handed pitching. I don't care if the AL is supposedly that much stronger. But this team has something special in them and I can't wait to see it in action.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D-Train hit 2 homers against the Mets last night. Perez pitched a pretty good game though. He seems to be taking form, which is a positive sign. Pedro gets the start tonight. Let's see how he rebounds from his near-breakdown last week.

I also wanna bitch slap Charlie Manuel, the equipment manager and guy who picks the uniforms. Pinstripes with the blue/black hats? You bust out the pins for the first time in what seems like forever and match them with the blue/black? Unbelievable. They should just get rid of the black altogether. No more black anything on the Mets unis. Make like the KC Royals and starting next season, the Reds and ditch any hint of black. I bet they don't wear the blue hats in the playoffs either.

Also, a bunch of people I know, including myself were chosen for a second drawing of the NLDS. I tried to get game 2 but was unsuccessful. I guess game 1 is good enough.

11. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Affiliation moves:

Mets AAA club from Norfolk to New Orleans.

This came about as part of a 5 team dance with Philadelphia, the Yankees, Baltimore and Washington, as everyone was moving their triple A affiliates around. The Yanks move from Columbus to Scranton, Philadelphia from Scranton to Ottawa (for a year, then to Allentown, PA), Baltimore from Ottawa to Norfolk, and Washington from New Orleans to Columbus.

The Mets are the losers in this one, as now their top affiliates play in the Pacific Coast League, as opposed to the more East Coast based International League. Also adds time to the call-up process.

12. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    And I'm going to game 1. Awesome.

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we stinking up the joint or what? Well, better now than 2 weeks from now.

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez Louise. I know September was never a good month for us but damn, talk about a beating.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome for you. Haven't had much luck with the ticket lottery. Have fun.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13-1 in the 7th. Pedro out after 2 2/3. Okay, now I'm concerned.

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Now it's time to start worrying. The team has lost 4 straight and 7 of their last 8. We're getting our heads kicked in. If it was crappy starting pitching, that's one thing, but the team ain't hittin a lick. I know we clinched and we'll finish with the best record in the NL, but if we go into the playoffs like this, we can expect a nice early exit and talk about what a failure this season was.

Pedro was absolutely dreadful. I don't think he should start if he's not healthy. I don't what experience brings; if you suck, you suck. Right now, he sucks. Willie's gonna have a lot of tough decisions to make and right now, I'm concerned. That being said, I know these guys will be ready for the playoffs.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hate to say I told you so about Pedro, but I had. Repeatedly.

Enjoy your NL East Champion shirts. Since we actually have a solid rotation in Philly, maybe we can lend you an National League Champion shirt in a few weeks.

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks sweetie. Worry about the Dodgers first, then we'll talk.

As for pitching, we need Maine in the rotation, badly. Game 2 should be his. Traschel should be scheduled for game 4, if necessary. Duque should pitch game 1. No questions.

Or we should just go to the bullpen from the beginning.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    So you think Glavine should just be long relief, I assume.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is right now a poor time to point out that leadoff hitter Jimmy Rollins has more 2nd half RBI's than MVP wannabe Carlos Beltran?

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aww, thanks so much. Just worry about making the playoffs first, otherwise you'd look silly making such statements about "lend you an National League Champion shirt in a few weeks." just you did with "Leave it to Mets fans to blow their loads in April. What a pathetic bunch. 2nd in their own city, and by September, 3rd in the NL East. Keep it up, clowns. This will make for good reading in a few months."

We wouldn't want to look silly again, would we?

As for Pedro, I don't think any Met fan is completely surprised by this. We knew what we were getting and that was a fragile pitcher who had to rely more on guile than power. We saw what he could do last season and the beginning of this season. Right now he's terrible. Come October though, who knows? There is one certainty at this point; we're in the playoffs and you're not. Not much your solid rotation is gonna do unless you make it first.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Game 3. Save Pedro for either game 5 or the pennant series

24. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Randolph has announced Duque for Game 1 and Glavine for Game 2. The rest hasn't been settled yet.

Pedro has returned to New York to be checked out by team doctors.