The Team of the Decade?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by The Germans are coming, Aug 20, 2014.

1. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    I just spent some time doing the usual searching for nothing on the internet stuff that anyone does and came across this article and analasys of the Greek team that won the European championships 2004. I remember that tournament very specificaly, I was only 14 at that time, didn`t really watch the Euro 2000 but did watch the WC 98 and WC 02. Back then as you impressionable kid I had this fixed notion in my head that there was this set of 8 great teams that were always destined to win these kinds tournaments and couldnt be beaten by anyone else. And BAM!!! Greece wins and everyone couldnt believe it. I remember very well how my schoolcoleagues, father and others kept talking for a few weeks about how the world had suddently turned on it`s head.

Anyway. This article proclaims that this Greek team is the best team of the last decade.

Would you agree? Or do you think that place belongs to someone else?

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/29/greece-euro-2004-tactics/

I am honestly enclined to say that the greatest team of the last decade was the Spanish national side 2008 - 2012. But if one argues for 2000 - 2010 I would agree that it could be Greece 2004.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    They probably meant the best in term of tactics and formation that had ignited a so-so team in quality into Champions
    Otherwise I agree with you Spain 08-12, Brazil 98-07 or France 98-06 dominated that decade

3. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If the best you can do is to win a continental championship, I think it's too much to say you're the best team of the decade. Sure, 2004 wasn't a WC year and there's no reason Greece could've not been able to win that too, but the best team - if you pick one year only - has to be one of 2002 Brazil, 2006 Italy or 2010 Spain.

Personally, I'd give it to Spain 2010, but I know I'm biased.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just to be clear, Michael wasn't saying they were the best team. He was saying they were tactically the best team, the one who used tactics most effectively to suit their ends, utilise what they had and ultimately to paper over a lack of quality.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, for tactics and formation, I have to give it to Greece 2004.