the sweetness of revenge [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by BroonAleMagpie, Aug 15, 2002.

1. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Many thanks to my second-favourite team, Chicago, for *pasting* Kansas City 5-1 in Napierville last night. Special plaudits go to referee Erich Simmons for giving Meola two cautions for dissent (or "descent" as MLSnet has it) and red-carding Nick "hey, lemme rearrange your bones" Garcia, contestant for this year's Kle Kooiman Memorial Trophy.

How sweet to hear that someone put 4 goals past Meola, then put another past his sub when he was thrown out on his ear. the performance apparently included a chip over Meola by Hristo "Bulgaria's Answer to Marco" Stoichkov, who then collected his own chip and slotted it home.

Of course, it's tunning evidence of our ineptitude that a team only midtable (if you ignore the silly divisional-lead thing) can pour this gasoline over the Whiz and ignite it, and we can't even score a single goal on them (well, one that the Moron can't call back somehow), but cold comfort is better than none, and seeing that scoreline did my heart good.

As GooseGirl says, Ray has gotten our defense running pretty smoothly; get the offese up to the same mark, and we'll be int he playoffs no problem, and maybe get "our" cup back.

Oh, *and* the Post suggests that the Moron may be facing disciplinary proceedings as a result of last weekend's fiasco. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19330-2002Aug14.htmlCouldn't be better...

2. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Yes. Kenny gets disciplined. That would be nice.

I would have rather had the goal though.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire could have scored at will. KC was horrid in the back. I'm not a Fire fan, but they were fun as hell to watch last night.

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    DId any slip through Tony's hands due to donut or pie residue??

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but he was very slow to react at times. And once he started going down to try and stop Stoichkov's breakaway, he couldn't stop the momentum.

That chip was sweet. The passing on the first four goals was nice.

6. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    I'll second this motion. I loved watching this game. Great to see "El Fatador" Tony get his due even though the ref was generally incompetent and unfair. This was a make up for the fact that Kansas got a point on Saturday.
    Beasley was MOM. Lovely touch on the first goal and had poise and control throughout the game. He'll be in Europe after the end of the season. As well at Hristo played he had some bad plays, like the "back through ball" to Fabbro that resulted in the opening goal.

7. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah to all those Fat Tony supporters clogging up our boards earlier this week;

HARD CHEESE!

K

8. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my favorite part, Tony recognizing his weakness, overcompensates and gets scored on again.

"We were able to posses the ball and I was able to make a diagonal run," Beasley said. "Kelly saw me and I was yelling at him and he played a great ball. I tried to cut Nick Garcia back inside and I saw Tony cheating to the near post, so I hit it to the far one."

quoted from soccertimes article available here:
    http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2002/games/aug14.htm

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now, now, if Tony were truly "fat" he would simply have to put his "fat" in the way of these shots and would have only let in 1 or 2. ;) :D

10. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As gradifying as it is to see Fat Tony riddled with goals, unfortunately, with the Chicago, and Columbus win, it makes it that much more likely that we will not make the playoffs. It would have been more beneficial to us if KC had won. So maybe Tony had the last laugh.

TS.

11. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    What does it say that the MLS Player of the Week gets pasted and ejected in the very next game?

Perhaps its the soccer gods throwing us a tiny bone.

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We weren't making the playoffs back in June so lets enjoy the moment

K

13. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Exactly. We're in "small glories time." Maybe the players want to worry about the playoff, but it's no concolation to finish 8th and then get pasted by the top team.
    I'll be happy if I get to see a DC win the rest of the season. Each game on it's own.

14. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Chicago were deserved winners.

Me, I thought the referee was crap. Utter and complete. The late pk call was harsh and he sent of Tony because he was on a card rush. I'm no Meola fan, but that whole last 3-4 minute sequence was bs.

15. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So negative...dang *Joe Dirt voice*

TS

16. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I'm with you, 79. I thought it was a really entertaining game to watch, and I did thoroughly enjoy it, but combined with Columbus' win last night, I went to sleep with a rather sinking feeling. DC is at the point where we need some other results to go our way, and they didn't.

I take no joy in the fact that Meola got pasted last night and we couldn't put jack past him 4 days earlier.

17. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Hey, I'll continue to look at the glass half-full:

I always thought it was a matter of time that Columbus and Chicago would play to their potential (especially Chicago). So those teams are now distancing themselves from us. Keep in mind that this could be the beginning of the end for KC. They have received most of their points thus far by tying games, rather than winning. They have played two more games than DC and only one point more than Chicago and Columbus. Maybe DC can get rid of the curse and start winning games, sneaking into the playoffs at the expense of Fat Tony et al.