The Superliga Title is still up for Grabs

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by JuveleoRules, Oct 31, 2004.

1. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So after Round 8 only 3 points separate the top 4 teams in the standings.

All Sporting Bashers please take special note:

As stated by yours truly weeks ago when everyone left SCP for dead, that all it takes is a few wins in a row and their back in it.

So everyone that left Sporting for dead, start looking in your rear view mirror.

And it starts next week against Porto at the Dragao.

The main reason I titled this thread "Title is still up for Grabs" is as stated above, everyone left SCP for dead after 3 weeks. Still to early know but things are starting to heat up.

2. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd like for porto and sporting to both lose the next jornada, but since that won't be possible, a tie would be good.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Benfica blew at least 2 chances of been up by 6 to 9 points,

4. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes they did, but even by blowing those chances Benfica are still in first place. :)

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I just got home can you give me a little recap of today's game, do you know if they going to replay the game? thanks

6. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    RTPI will replay the game today (maybe around 9pm or 9:30pm). There's a recap of Benfica's game in the Gil Vicente v Benfica thread. I don't want to put the result of the game here, I might get in trouble.

7. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Game is showing now on RTPI.

8. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Geez, I didn't know the title was still up for grabs. I was under the impression that whoever was on top by week 7 would be the champion. Damn, celebrated too early again. ;)

9. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nope, it is all wide open again :D

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This was the point of this thread. After week 4 we had all kinds of posts here stating that SCP was done, Benfica was the champion. Benfica had the biggest lead in their history, etc, etc.....

Too early.........

11. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    It seems to me that maybe after today game (Unsure of results yet) it is Setubal that has a "grab" on the Title, so far.

12. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I understand the point of the thread. You seem to be worried that people will forget the mighty SCP. Don't worry, we know you guys are still up there. Considering that my team hasn't won the title since '94, I certainly won't be celebrating anything until the 34th round. Especially after the fiasco that was the game in Barcelos, the worst Benfica have played this year.

13. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I never start predicting championships locked up after 3 weeks. Believe me, I've watched many, many, many, many seasons of all types of sports to know that.

Before you get too confident, just remember who you're facing. This is still a Porto defensive team that will do anything to make sure Sporting doesn't play its game. And, remember, it's at Porto too. So, Sporting is gonna have to overcome a Greece defense and the officials.

Good luck. Hope there's a tie out of it.

14. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa
    Sporting started the league with poor football, something had to change and in fact, scp seems to be playing football now ;) All the early noise was rather comprehensive - Peseiro stated that he had the best team, remember?
    Anyway, winning Estoril, Penafiel or even Naval for the PT Cup still doesn't make sporting too much of a threat.
    Benfica follows the same path with rather 'middle league football'. Thursday match will be somewhat reviling about that :(

Anyway, no one can say that being 3 points bellow European Champions is not bad. Porto wan in Luz ( no matter how) tied twice on difficult away games (Braga and Nacional). The only surpreise to me was really that 2-2 tie with Estoril. But hey, they have been scoring 2 games in a row with offside goals, so..... 3 points looks like 10 ;)

I'm cheering for scp next week - if they win, it will be the the biggest 'comeback' in our football history since Scolari called Deco, Carvalho and Ronaldo to our 1st team in Euro 2004 :eek:
    -Ricardo-