(THE SUN ARTICLE): "It's Time to Think About the End of Wenger"

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Jan 18, 2012.

1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As does the Huddlestone, Dawson, Defoe, Lennon generation.

Shen-O and R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see this thread get back on track. Phew. And any discussion of Tony Pulis is banned, unless of course he becomes our next manager. :eek:

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1028 bmoregnr, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    I stand before you not as a reactionary. Today I rooted for nothing more than a total and decisive victory. Likewise, I know that no single game does a trend make.

Let it be clear-- especially given this odd transfer season, on top of several recent years of slightly less-odd transfer seasons-- that I could not help but have a worst-case scenario in mind for today. Said scenario was exceeded by thirty percent.

Firstly, I claim no greater allegiance than your plus or minus my sixteen-years-of-overseas support. Secondly, I will forever be heartened by the Arsène Wenger OBE bust, and any ensuing statue, that is or will be affixed about Ashburton Grove; and I will forever bow before the genius player-personnel decisions and positive-football tactics that occurred during the man's seventeen years of service.

It is clear to me, all of that now being said, that the time has come for us to take sides, for me to take sides, and I can no longer support the continued management of Arsène Wenger OBE.

Arsène Wenger OBE is of a different time, a different game; and sadly to me, a parting of the ways must now occur for Arsenal Football Club to stay ahead of or even within this time[1]. Perhaps it is my inability to grasp whatever measure of genius or dysfunction currently gripping the man or the club, but some change beyond current practices must now begin to sow.

Today, uncharacteristically, I did not see the “In Arsène we Trust” banner; and somehow I find that fitting.

[1] Arsène Wenger OBE should finish his current contract. If by some measure of genius, dysfunction or miracle-- that admittedly I am currently unable to comprehend-- AFC finishes well within the top four and comports well in this Champions League campaign, then I will eat this post.

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That read like a speech that someone passes out after they finish because of the two bottles of wine they'd had.

5. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have been supporting the club since 92 or so, and I couldn't agree with you any more myself. It is a very hard place for me to come to, and all respect for his being by far our greatest manager ever, but it is becoming ever more apparent that his time has past. It really pains me to say it, because I think he is still an amazing coach of the players that he has, and great workign with youngsters ... but the greatness of Fergie was his ability to adapt and stay with the modern game. I hate to say it, but I think that it has well and truly passed Wenger by. Perhaps if he had someone in charge of the player moves he could still be effective, but things as they stand are completely untenable.

I have been saying for awhile now that I felt this was the year that we are going to be looking at a 5th-7th place finish and we are right on course for it now.

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth be told it was beer, good beer mind you; but otherwise your statement was fairly accurate. I am reawakened, and well into unsaid amount of red wine, and this will be the outcome-- COYG!

7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pookspur, do you think your signings will bed in before the 31st?

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    they may not all literally have beds in London by the 31st, given levy's tendency to drag things to the last minute (though we obviously can't complain about how much has been accomplished already in this window), so probably not. but, yeah, how soon it can happen is the question.

after watching a performance like they just put in in Tbilisi, one gets cautiously optimistic. but then, it's Dynamo Tbilisi. and my natural default emotion of pessimism for all things spurs says it'll take a while.

sorry so vague, but it really is some heady stuff going on at N17. i'm not sure what to make of any of it.

9. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    was just asking so we can catch you off guard lol..

10. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we don't sign anyone meaningful (or anyone at all). I have a feeling the club will be sold soon. When you sell a business, you offload deadweight and you put it in a good financial position (stadium debt paid off, new high paying endorsement contracts signed). The new owner/manager will have a good skeleton of players on which to build on. Plus, assuming things have gone as they have—we'll finish fourth, so new ownership gets to step right into Champion's League revenue.

I think, it'd be the "sell high" position that every businessman looks for.

ChapacoSoccer and Rewinder repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Top notch analysis.

Remember also the huge amounts of cash stockpiled.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ill be happy if kroenke sells up tbh. He doesn't seem to care and hopefully someone comes in who can develop the academy and bring in players instead of sitting on stockpiles of money

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kroenke has never sold a club.

Also, having young quality players on hand is probably more valuable for a football club than having a massive cash stockpile.

14. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a strong suspicion should we beat Tottenham, the "Arsene out" lobby will be very quiet. lol.. We gooners will never cease to amaze me, we're a fickle bunch lololl....

That said, for me personally, I'd only be fully pro-Arsene if we either have a good premier league challenge, win a trophy, or do well in the Champions league.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There are standard methods of valuing a business and factors like cash to hand and de-leveraging are critical

16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why should he sell? it's like any other property, people can hold on to it as long as they choose.

He doesn't care, however he true "caring" is his net worth, so to speak.

the issue is why shares were sold to him. if former shareholders thought he'd be another Shiekh, they were misguided.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming they picked him because he looked to be a hands off owner, one that wouldn't interfere with the management of the club, and one that believed in a sustainable business model. And in fairness, he has done what they expected.

18. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC