(THE SUN ARTICLE): "It's Time to Think About the End of Wenger"

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Jan 18, 2012.

1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the case, then Wenger should GTFO. At this point, he's just helping Kroenke fleece the fans. Putting out the cheapest team which may possibly come 4th while pocketing the profits is a disgrace.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, we had to go 8-0-2 since our loss to Spurs to pull it off. Now, it is better to win more games than to lose them, and the resurgence was great to witness. But all I caught of the Wigan game was the last 25 minutes of the 1st half and the first 15 minutes of the second half (I must have left literally seconds before Walcott scored) and what I saw for those 40 minutes was downright depressing. I'm just jaded, I guess, and I'm bored with the quest for 4th. This was a particularly awe-less Man Utd team, and we weren't even in the same league.

I just do not care about Europe. Didn't when we had the Invincibles and don't now that we have Vincibles. Maybe if I did care about Europe, then finishing fourth would be an achievement, something to relish and to savor....

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Gazidis is making the right noises.

"But it is important to reiterate that, for everyone at the club, qualification for the Champions League is not our ultimate ambition. Our majority owner, Mr Kroenke, has made it clear that, while it's an achievement to make the Champions League, our ultimate objective is to win the major trophies.
    "We all share that clear ambition and will be driving the club forward to achieve it. Arsène and I have already been planning what we need to do to strengthen so we are better placed next season. One thing is certain: the club is in a very strong position to move forward and our form of losing just one of our last 16 Premier League matches shows that we have a solid foundation on which to build for success."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/20/arsenal-trophies-ivan-gazidis

4. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    My hopes are going up after what's been said but I'm smart enough to not be surprised if we really don't sign top talent.

5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That's funny because I'm actually more bullish on Wenger now than for the last three years or so. Especially now that his deal is up at the end of next season there is a good transition point to move him away without the disruption to the club of having to fire him.

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are going to be sorely disappointed when he receives and accepts a two year extension. ;)

7. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arseblog was actually pretty good yesterday and today for a change. I agree 100% with the point that Arsene had to teach the team how to grind out results because it was the only thing that mattered in the end. My quip has always been (well the last few years) that we dropped too many soft points to small teams. This year we had to tidy up and credit needs to go to Arsene. The fact that he has kept this mess together (albeit being soemewhat implicit in its creation) says a lot about his quality. Let's face it, he is the only world class talent we have left at AFC.

Like someone posted on here before (Gooner Maui??) without Arsene we are Spuds.

8. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't like Arseblog? He's generally pretty balanced and doesn't go to extremes like 99% of supporters do.

I don't think the dropping points to small teams thing is as big of an issue as our utter inability to beat the top 4-5 other sides in the league. I can't remember the last time I went into a game against United or Chelsea thinking that Arsenal were going to have a really, really good shot at winning like I did in the early-mid 2000s. If we pick up a point instead of losing to those teams, or get 3 points instead of a draw somewhere...who knows?

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    fcuk blogs! get your own opinion!!

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that data is accurate, it capsulizes the churn that's been discussed & lamented in recent years, as recently as last week when SAF himself was shocked at Mancini's sacking.

After Wenger, the longest serving manager throughout the English football leagues, is Tony Pullis at nearly 7 yrs. Wow.

I doubt it's possible but I'd like to see that chart from c.1995 and see how long people stayed then.

12. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulis is out at stoke.

13. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Arseblog but don't care to read it everyday as I used to and never on the day before or day of the match (superstition).

Now to your point, the league is decided by how well (or poorly) you do against lesser teams. You play 6-8 big matches in the league every season. And it is really the other 30-32 that decides who wins the league. Simple math.

14. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or if we take 2-4 extra points off the bigger clubs (not unreasonable), we move up further. You have to beat big teams to win the league while also not dropping points to small teams IMO

15. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have always done that. Check the records.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you sure about that?

check last season, or the season before

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we not beat City last season? Chelsea two seasons ago? United three seasons ago?

18. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes...there is definitely room for improvement but the basic tenet remains the same. Beat the small clubs, win a few of the big matchups.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Leet's right, Ray. And I get your point, but overall, when you're chasing clubs in the standings, having the opportunity to deny the other clubs points is crucial.

And this year we drew and lost vs Man City, lost and drew vs Man Utd, won and lost vs Spurs, and lost both vs Chelsea. 5 points from 8 games. That's what took us to the final weekend to seal CL football next year.

20. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Exactly. Draw with Chelsea or don't give up that stupid penalty against United and we are pushing for 2nd place almost...

The same could be said about losing to smaller teams, but IMO, great teams (re: championship teams) beat other top dogs for the title. That's what sets them apart.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    my apologies

i thought you said we ran through smaller sides in the past

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to imagine someone going to that trouble, but...

Anyone seen any obscure youtube vids of Arsene as a player?? Might be a laugh or two.

Edit: Mike that's not you is it?? (bmoregnr)

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, but saw him in good spirits Sunday.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear. Guess he don't come round here no mo.

Y'all keep up the good fight in Charm City