The Summer Thread/Where's Jumhed?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    See that. Thread and Jumhed rhyme. I'm a rhymer.

2. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    He's locked in my basement. Tried to arrest me, so I cut him.

I cut a lot of people. I'm a cutter.

3. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Surely that's only if I cut myself? I don't do that, only others. Ones who deserve it. Like jumhed :D

5. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Maybe you are so emo, that you NEED to cut others as well?

6. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Speaking of cutting, it looks like Newcastle will cut Oguchi Onyewu. We could get him cheap, a nice upgrade from Tony Gardner as a squad player defender and given a (more than) decent team and coach at Spurs he could develop quite nicely and would give our team some size and physical presence we seem to be lacking.

As a yank I'm massively biased, but he wouldn't be the first player whose talent Newcastle squandered, nor would he be expensive, not a big gamble. If Big Sam is alert, he'll keep him onboard and I'll move Newcastle up to about 8th in my Prem predictions for next year.

7. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    IMO, I never saw what the fascination is with Gooch. He's big, but so what? So is Gardner...

8. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Ghaly asked for a transfer a couple of weeks back. Fed up of playing out of position on the left/right and being dropped or benched when he had been doing 'well', he thinks, the game before.

The shirt throwing was partially a reaction to being subbed on and off again but also because he feels victimised by the manager and the fans.

10. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What would be the point? He has been a bust at Newcastle, and the problem here is that Newcastle doesn't squander talent as much as overrate talent. Unfortunately Gooch just isn't our quality. He might be okay at Boro, but he is way below the standard we need and are bringing in with Dervitte last year and Kaboul this week.

11. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    I don't want to start a tangernt, but Gooch hasn't been a "bust" at Newcastle. The reason they lost points is because they have no teeth in the attack - their defense, to be honest, has been one of their stronger points. He arrived at a team that needed more than a strong center back to turn their season around - it was really a no-win for him. And, besides, doesn't everyone always say it takes players a while to adjust to the Premiership? How about less than half a season?

Now that Allardyce is at the Toon, I was hoping that Gooch would stick around, but I think he'll be sold by Standard and find his way in a midtable team in one of England, France, Italy, or Germany.

12. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well this isn't the first time nor will it be the last time you call for Gooch (or any american player) for Spurs. At least your consistent.

13. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Titus Bramble is free, how about him?

:D

Released by Newcastle. How demeaning.

14. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    You mean this guy?

[youtube]jgnWpCZfpC0[/youtube]

15. jeffers77

jeffers77 New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    what does anyone think our chances are of landing Pederson? does anyone else agree he would fit great at spurs, just think of those crosses flying into to berbatov.

16. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Me or Malkamus?

17. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    yeah and Man City just released Stephan Jordan, he's at least as quality Bramble, we should pick him up as well ;)

And yes, I do want an American at Spurs, but not any American. Demarcus Beasley is one of my favorite American players, but I don't think he'd be a good fit at Spurs. Same for Jay Demerit or any number of American players.

I think Gooch is a bit of a diamond in the rough and came into a Newcastle team mid-season with a backline that was changed almost every match, no time to gel with the squad, etc. Given a pre-season to train with a squad and a bit more time to adjust to the english game and I think he'd be a great/cheap addition to our defense.

18. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    With all this legal talk about Tevez and West Ham, the papers have missed the real story.

All the other clubs are suing Bramble, Kieron Richardson and several others under the Trades Descriptions Act. Apparently the clubs are saying they've been impersonating professional footballers for years. Amazing it's taken this long to come to light though.

21. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He looks like a player who needs a consistent run of games next to an experienced centre back and in an organised team who play physical football.

Not that I'm convinced he's a diamond, in the games I've seen he has not shown enough awareness, potential leadership, mobility or technical ability to go that far. However Samba at Blackburn struck me as similar to Onyewu and looks a good example of how a physically powerful but limited centre back can be used very effectively in the right setup.

I can't really see this player having any benefit for us. But if he could get a move to Aston Villa under O'Neill then that could work out for him. Or if Allardyce was still at Bolton, that would have been another good option.

22. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    I doubt Gooch will come to Spurs, though I hope he remains in english football so I can watch him play week in, week out. I think he would benefit from the Bobby Convey school of football -- a couple years at the Championship level with a good manager and squad making him a much better player before coming to the Prem -- in retrospect if the Home Office hadn't been so damn dumb a stint at Spurs might have ruined him, sent him back to MLS, etc. Stuart Pearce could do with a little League One/CCC for a while as well, may be a quality manager but should go pay his dues at Tranmere or some such place.

Anyways -- how is Lee Barnard doing? I know he was injured, is he a possible 4th/5th striker for Spurs next season?

23. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Speaking of Convey, he'd be an excellent addition if we could get him cheaply. He isn't even getting much playing time for Reading, but when he was, he was doing quite well. Now that they've brought a young English kid into the squad and Convey's had some major injury woes really for the first time in his life, I think it'd be a great time to add him. Say what you will, but when he's healthy he's far better and more effective than Stuart Downing or that ilk of player.

Coming from the 2nd string of Reading, I bet he'd be just fine starting on the bench too. Left footed crossers with speed, ability to get off crosses at the endline while being closely defended, and with the vision, timing and accuracy to make them good crosses is hard to find. But to find that in somebody as fast and tireless as Convey makes him just what we need on the left side. Defending? Still needs some improvement, but it's better than when we initially moved for him.

-Digital

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a big claim. What has Convey done above Championship or Youth level?

Downing is a proven effective player at Premiership level and did well in the UEFA cup.