The stupidest church in the whole world

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Dec 1, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a rightwing, black Church in Raleigh called Upper Room Church of God in Christ. Earlier this year, they were involved in a homophobic controversy. Not quite Fred Phelps territory, but the next county over.

But their latest stunt is really, really stupid. They took out an ad urging people doing their Christmas shopping to patronize only stores that included "Merry Christmas" or similar language in their ads.

OK, let me get this straight. There's a movement afoot to make Jesus not the reason for the season. And the solution is...

to organize some kind of boycott while indulging yourself in the orgy of gratuitous consumption that Christmas has become?!?!?!

What a bunch of retards. If Jesus were here today, after creating peace in Jerusalem, his next stop would be to invade this church and wreak some holy havoc.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The stupidest comment in the whole world

Where did you get this "homophobic" observation? They said nothing of the kind; that seems like your sordid comment!

And on another point... you do this every day! You patronize Soccer stores and would probably patronize BigSoccer advertised soccer stores! So really, what this Church is doing is no different that what superdave does and what superdave is urged to do in the commerical sense!

Come back and post when you have a point to make... this one "doesn't hunt!"

IntheNet

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was alluding to a previous scandal.

Superdave is upset about the hypocrisy implicit in a church trying to influence shopping while at the same time preaching about the holiday losing meaning.

While I'm not as outraged as Dave, I sort of see his point.

Come back when you learn to read.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights

Any bets on an over-under before some European poster puts up a link to Landover Baptist (or a similar site) without "getting it"??

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

If Landover Baptist was real (and it's pretty realistic, thanks), it still wouldn't be the stupidest church in the whole world. $cientology still has this award sewn up. Maybe if someone starts the First Church of Slamming Your ******** In a Car Door, the Hubbardites would have some competition.

6. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Hmmmmmmmm, eggnog!

Merry Xmas to all!

7. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Do you really think if Jesus were alive today, he'd be able to manage peace in Jerusalem? If I recall correctly, he wasn't able to accomplish a great deal during his first lifetime. In fact, I seem to recall him coming to an unfortunate end, because in general, people didn't think much of him at the time. Would a new Jesus in today's world be any more successful?

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Every religious entity that I know urges patronage of member retail establishments... Muslims leaders do it, Jewish leaders do it, and Christian leaders do it! Do you seriously believe that there is something wrong with Christian's patronizing fellow Christians' shops and buying their goods from retail operations managed by Christians?

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about the golden plates which could only be read in a special box by a certain...oh nevermind...

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be the 2nd coming, the New, Improved Jesus. I'm sure he could handle it.

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Jesus would have a Piper Cub . . .

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an Upper Room church in Fayetteville. I always thought it was the only one. Operates out of a building the size of one of Shaq's shoeboxes.

13. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Dave. He's exactly right.

14. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Here' a mountain:

^
    ^^
    ^^^

Here's a molehill:

^

Mountain:

^
    ^^
    ^^^

Molehill:

^

See the difference?

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Competition, yes.

But from the little I know I suspect they'd still remain the champions.

(Hilarious. Sorry, I couldn't give you any more reputation points.)

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most grabasstic piece of stupidity I've ever seen you write, and THAT is saying a ton.

17. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the thread title, I'd say that they are all in a massive tie.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any evidence for your assertion?

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Best. South. Park. Song. EVAH.

"Dum dum dum dum dum!"

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well done.

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

If the church made a general statement to this point, you would be right. But instead they made the point particularly about Christmas gift giving, which is unChristian in many ways and instead derives from the holiday of Saturnalia, one of the many pagan winter solstice holidays that the Church tried to take over with their rather unconvincing proclamation that Jesus was born on Dec. 25th.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not necessarily, no. I am bothered that they're advocating boycotting so called "non-christian" businesses.

23. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the funniest post I've read in a while.

24. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca

When I was a teenager my best friend's father owned one of the franchises - er, I mean churches. Trust me, the more you know the more you'll agree with Loney. (only on this issue!)

25. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, you also have one of the better churches in the world, dealing with the worst broadcasters in any democracy anywhere.

The Rev. John Thomas, who serves as general minister and president of the United Church of Christ, is having a hard time figuring out why the same broadcasters that profited so handsomely from airing the vicious and divisive attack advertisements during the recent presidential election are now refusing to air an advertisement from his denomination that celebrates respect for one another and inclusiveness.

"It's ironic that after a political season awash in commercials based on fear and deception by both parties seen on all the major networks , an ad with a message of welcome and inclusion would be deemed too controversial," said Thomas. "What's going on here?"

The ad in question is part of an ambitious new national campaign by the UCC to appeal to Americans who feel alienated from religion and churches, and to equip the denomination's 6,000 congregations across the U.S. to welcome newcomers. In an effort to break through the commercial clutter that clogs the arteries of broadcast and cable television, the UCC ad features an arresting image: a pair of muscle-bound bouncers standing in front of a church and telling some people they can attend while turning others away.

After people of color, a disabled man and a pair of men who might be gay are turned away, the image dissolves to a text statement that: "Jesus didn't turn people away. Neither do we."

Then, as images of diverse couples and families appear on screen, an announcer explains that, "No matter who you are, or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here." It is a graceful commercial, which delivers an important message gently yet effectively -- something that cannot be said of most television advertising these days. But viewers of the CBS and NBC television networks won't see it because, in this age of heightened focus on so-called "moral values," quoting Jesus on the issue of inclusion is deemed to be "too controversial."

What was controversial? Apparently, the networks don't like the ad's implication that the Nazarene's welcome to all people might actually include ALL people.

Noting that the image of one woman putting her arm around another was included in the ad, CBS announced, "Because the commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples and other minority groups by other individuals and organizations, and the fact the Executive Branch has recently proposed a Constitutional amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast on the (CBS and UPN) networks."

NBC was similarly concerned that the spot was "controversial." UCC leaders, pastors and congregation members are upset, and rightly so...

[​IMG]
    What hypocrisy, what insolence what arrogance!

Good luck with all that. I wonder, has anyone done a mental health assessment on the public discourse?