The Streak Continues

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 10, 2011.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks to Abby Wambach's will to win and brilliance and the USWNT's penalty kick mastery, a streak stayed intact today.

The USWNT has never lost a game that I have watched live.

I do have to apologize for having nearly cost us the game. I had to travel with family somewhere around the 60th minute. Of course, the US received its red card and double penalty kick then, and in the radio on updates from ESPN I had heard we'd fallen behind in overtime. I figured we were sunk. I was preparing to put an asterisk by my streak because I'd had to leave early.

And then the Wombat and crew delivered. I arrived at my location just in time to see the team celebrating on the field and the interviews with the Wombat and Solo.

And, I must applaud ESPN for its extended coverage of the post-game, its awareness of this game's importance and the network's sense of perspective - it showed the '99 Final as a special Classic showing immediately after the extended post-game.

I'll do my best to make sure I see the semifinal and (with the USA in it, I hope) the final!

2. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Fortunately, I was able to catch the first 65 minutes today, and the streak continues!

I will make every effort to watch the final!

3. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Unfortunately, the streak is history. While it would have been euphoric for America to win the WWC (particularly on an overtime header by Wambach), sometimes the game turns out differently from what one wants. Life goes on, in this case with an uplift for me thanks to the USWNT.