The story of the demise of my late grandfather's crystal ball.

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by dreamer, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It was the damnedest thing.

I had never used the talking crystal ball left to me by my late grandfather when he passed away, even though I’d heard many stories about how accurate its predictions had been. So the other day when I needed a good weather forecast for Brazil next month I thought about trying it out. After removing it from a special safe and recharging its battery for 24 hours, I sat it down nicely on top of my dinner table. But just when I was about to ask the Brazil question, it fell off the base on its own and dropped right to the floor. While it was falling to the floor I thought I distinctively heard it say something like this, “O R C T Israel”, but then within a second it was broken up into pieces. Franticly I said to the pile of broken crystal, “what did you mean by that, a stock, should I go long or short?” But there was no answer. I kept repeating the same questions but apparently unlike my late grandfather’s talking crystal ball, a pile of broken crystal simply couldn’t talk.

So now I’m left with the unanswered questions of what kind of the weather I can expect to find in Brazil next month and what exactly the talking crystal ball’s final words “O R C T Israel" meant……………….

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    For the weather in Brazil, I would consult weather.com.

Sachin

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Please don't tout individual securities like that.

Thanks,

Sachin

4. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Not touting the stock one way or another. And thanks for the weather.com info. Here's something from Briefing.com just now. Last post on this matter.

13:00 ORCT Orckit Comms -- sales ramp, tiny float pushes stock (57.60 +5.10)
    With ORCT having rocketed so much lately, we thought readers might be interested in more details on the co just for informational purposes, not to advocate buying/selling it up here.. The co is an Israeli-based co that makes "next-generation" routers and other telecom equipment. The co's Corrigent subsidiary sells a new class of metro-optical transport products that it describes as "revolutionary in its economics." Corrigent's CM-100 is a packet-ADM that fuses together SONET/SDH technologies with packet technologies such as RPR, Ethernet and MPLS. The stock has been on a tear since late Jan when it reported Q4 sales up 330% sequentially to $8.2 mln. The co expects demand for its Corrigent CM-100 product line will be strong in 2005. The top line should continue to surge as the co expects Q1 revenue of $17 mln, up another 113% sequentially and more importantly, a profit of $0.15, following a loss last year. For 2005, the co expects revs to ramp to $80 mln on EPS of $1.60-$1.70 (p/e 35x). Also spurring the shares is the co's tiny float of 3 mln shares. Keep in mind the co only has just 4.4 mln shares outstanding, so it's a still small market cap of $250 mln. Another potential catalyst is the 3-for-1 split set for early April.