The "Still Hope For Milwaukee" Thread

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by K-sWeise, Mar 26, 2009.

1. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    So our first chance at getting a MLS team didn't work out and is now in the past. This is a thread for anyone to bounce around any ideas on what we can do moving on in the future. Even though the ideas may be a little naive or optimistic, I think it is important for the people still holding onto the dream of a team here to talk about what we can do and keep our heads high... And if we can unite, I am sure only good can come from it.

Ok enough of the inspirational talk. I'll post later my pizza is almost done...:D

2. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well of the people who come around here anymore... Does anyone know what is the state of the Bucks right now? What they do will have a large impact on soccer in the city in the long run, so as update or thoughts would be appreciated.

3. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I think the nba will be looking at a lockout in a couple of years. I think I heard a dozen teams need financial assistance this season. the player salaries are out of control, benchwarmers are getting paid way too much. ticket prices are expensive. they are losing corporate sponsors.

I just don't think someone will come in and move the franchise right now. Herb needs to sell but who is going to pony up the cash right now?

I hope for a mls team in milwaukee though. I don't want to support chicago.

4. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well when the buck's for the bradley center runs up in 2010 what is going to happen?... it could be 2011. I dont think that they will renew it and there is no way that they are going to build another stadium. I have heard rumors on how Attanasio wants to build a stadium in the same property as the brewers along with hotels, etc. and possiblly buying the team. Maybe we need to turn him into a soccer fan.

5. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    If we're really interested in seeing outdoor soccer in Milwaukee anytime soon I think our best bet is trying to convince the Wave to give up on the indoor game and a league that has only four teams and convert the club into a USL First Division team. Aside from that, perhaps there is enough interest/financial backing to at least scratch together a PDL team. I noticed Kalamazoo has one and even a women's team to boot, so we should definitely be able to support one here. Perhaps then we can build from there and upgrade the team to second division, first division and then maybe MLS. It seems several other cities have been more successful promoting a USL team than building a club from scratch. And with Marquette and UWM here, a good solid roster of players shouldn't be too hard to develop. Does anyone know what the interest level is with either pressuring the Wave toward outdoor soccer or developing a new USL team?

6. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    To be honest I am not sure, but I cannot believe the Wave hasn't persued this more seriously. Yes, I know that the Wave United fell, but they cant actually believe that the gimmicky indoor soccer sport is better off money-wise than outdoor. And now that the MISL has dispanded and became a 4 team XSL! I guess I dont know their finanaces, nor have I run a major sports team but you'd think they would be scrambling to get outdoors before their whole sport dies. How many fans are showing up to their games?

(Not to mention that the USL teams that Milwaukee had done well in competition also)

7. milpballer12

milpballer12 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Now im just a teenager but do anyof you remember the TWO times when we had USL teams and how we couldnt support those? If the MLS were going to expand they would choose big cities. For example, Seatle who has a huge soccer community (they have 26,000 season ticket holders, thats more then 90% of MLB and NBA teams), Philidelphia and maybe in the coming years they will add one in boston? But Milwaukee isnt big enough, we dont have people like Drew Carrey who love the city so much they will build a stadium. We couldnt support an USL team why would we be able to have an MLS team when there are already bigger cities and existing USL sides? Also, ethnic teams are just SILLY. Especially in a segregated city such as Milwaukee. If any existing clubs were to have a team it would be FC Milwaukee or Bavarians. Bavarians because they have such a history, FC Milwaukee has won like 160 state championships in their 15 years running? And FC is building new fields.
    Oh and the wave already did have an outdoor team, the wave united, doesn't anyone remember? I practiced at uhlien and that stadium would only be about half full (not really a stadium but anyway) at their games so I definatley think MLS is out of the question unless it is to develope in a different way.

8. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If someone can put together a strong business plan, I think that it is not too much of a stretch to have us in the MLS. It is not purely population that is a factor. Yes are we a bit of an underdog because of our lack of size compared to other cities, but that does not mean that we can't get a pro team here. We have a pretty solid soccer tradition and a natural rivalry with Chicago among other things. The question is can someone put together a good enough business plan to grab investors, or can the Wave collect enough cash to put a bid out themselves. It is a matter of if you can get the money. If the money gets here, then a team will too.

9. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take a USL team in a heartbeat. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has been showing the USMNT a lot of love recently with articles not by the AP, but by reporters at the paper as well.

If they give Lambeau or even Camp Randall a USMNT game, people will flock, and then MLS or USL will look.

10. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know I have heard people say that the field wasnt big enough at Lambeau or something to that extent. I agree though, if there was a big Wisco turn out for that game it could help.

11. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe after the recent Soldier Field game they'll think about other midwestern options for a match. I could see a Canada vs. USA friendly as a logical choice, but that would be after the World Cup.

12. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    "New ownership must be found within the next few weeks, or at the outside within the next within the next month, for the franchise to continue operating, according to sources."

Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

The article also mentions that the NISL would "be happy" to have the Wave, but since they need an owner so fast it seems unlikely. I don't know why they never seemed to consider going outdoor.

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They tried with the A-League, but the players they tried to convert to outdoor just resulted in a disaster. It would be a good idea for them to disband, and come back under new ownership with a USL franchise under the same name.

14. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing the Wave would be a big blow to soccer in this city, as well as my childhood :p

15. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not the wave's fault. Besides, with the Milwaukee Mile closing, that opens up a HUGE opportunity for real estate for a top notch soccer facility....

16. JaMikePA

JaMikePA New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys have the Milwaukee Bavarians of the semi-pro National Premier Soccer League. The Chicago Fire owns a NPSL team also, so there's some geographical rivalry. I know it's not as good as having an MLS team, though.

17. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
  18. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about this too. I would be very excited to see a team come here. It's just that...well....there are a lot of non-MLS cities.

19. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But few as baller as Milwaukee.

20. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought that I would add that the Wave's new owner is a former colelge roomate of a friend I know

21. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    really? so whats the word on the wave then?

22. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are playing in the NASL this year, and are aiming, and it's very possible, for 2,000 season tickets. They are believed to be hovering between 1,300 and 1,700 right now.

23. Mourinho's Mentor

Mourinho's Mentor New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Good luck Milwaukee.

24. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Regardless of The Wave, it seems possible that this new league could target MKE. I mean leagues combining has happened enough times in American sports, and that would put us in the top divison or a possiblity to be promoted.

25. illwauk

illwauk Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Milwaukee
    A few weeks ago, I read an article about a survey that was done at UWM with the results suggesting that the area currently occupied by Engelmann Field should be reclaimed for academic purposes. It also suggested that the area of the campus that is currently forested should turned into a "sports quad" that would house all of the sports that don't use the Klotschke Center.

Now I know these are some huge "what if's," but with all the talk and demand around the campus for a football program, maybe it would behoove UWM to cancel its baseball program for the sake of not having to set aside the area for two athletic fields and use the scholarships to start a football program. Having what would be a Division 1-AA/FCS football program share the new soccer field would justify a 15,000-20,000 seat stadium being built around it. With a perferctly-sized venue now available, maybe Milwaukee becomes a more viable candidate since the lack of a place to play was the main issue that put a cramp in Peter Wilt's ambitions.

Just a few thoughts...