The Steroids Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 655321, Sep 28, 2004.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, SportsCenter opened last night with something like "We start tonight with breaking news concerning a steriod admission by a former American League MVP with connections to Barry Bonds." Whatever you think of Bonds, there is no reason to mention his name before Giambi's in this story.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    It's hard to believe that he's innocent when drugs get delivered to his house and in his name. It's also hard to believe he's innocent when his trainer is the one involved in the scandal with the baseball players.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Face it people, the followng peole all have one thing in common:

Sammy Sosa
    Tyler Hamilton
    Ben Johnson
    Barry Bonds
    Mark McGwire
    Jason Giambi
    Lyle Alzado
    Ken Caminiti
    Lance Armstrong
    Marion Jones
    Gary Sheffield

not to mention...
    every NFL lineman, and most every player in the league
    every rider in the Tour de France
    3/4 of the position players in MLB
    the list could go on and on...

All cheaters. Flat out, zero doubt in any reasonable person's mind.

5. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Is it just me that has noticed that all of the players that have admited using steroids AND the ones that are accused of it all have extremely bloated faces? Not to mention the oversized necks and bodies. These guys all look alike. From Caminiti to Bonds to Giambi to McGuire they all have the classic look of a steroid user. Anyone that thinks that the McGuire/Sosa summer wasn't roid ridden is in denial.

Bonds is no different. It couldnt be more obvious. Nonetheless when he breaks Ruths record the media and fans will turn away from the truth and give him a standing ovation when he touches home plate.

What a country. We destory 28 year old recently renewed stadiums to build new ones for $700 Million, we ship our jobs to India, Mexico and China, we ignore voter fraud and irregularities in our latest Presidential election,we use yellow stickers that say "Support our Troops" on our Oil guzzling SUVs (ie Oil...War...Troops) and we celebrate athletes that literally cheat to outperform their current and oldtimer competition. One day someone will look back and say, "What the F*** happened to America?".

6. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Cheating in sports? No way!

Put me in the minority of people who don't care about who used it and don't even care to argue about it. I watch sports for entertainment and getting upset about it just doesn't seem worthwhile. One of the most exciting things in the last few years was watching Sosa and McGwire go for the records. As a big Cub and Sammy fan I was rooting for him and it was a fun ride. So he was 'roided up, probably used corked bats, and sacrificed a virgin for every home run, whoopty do. I was entertained, so sue me. Bonds hitting 73...I was entertained even though I was sure he was hopped up on roids. When the bat hits the ball and it flies out into the Bay I'm not thinking about roids, I'm thinking what a great shot it was. I don't even think they should put an * by his records. He hit the ball the way every other player does, its just his go out.

Why worry who's doing what? They'll ban substance "X", the player will switch to "Y" until they test for that and then he'll go to "Z", unless "Q" works better that "Z". I'll cheer just as loud for Sosa and Bonds (well maybe not Sammy because he blows now) as I would as if I thought they were clean. I'll boo Giambi just as load because he's a Yankee, not because he's a dope fiend and at the end of the day I'll enjoy baseball just as much. Friggin Cubs...

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the spirit!

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The sad thing is that Bonds and McGwire were great players before they became supersized.

I don't know if 3/4 of MLB players take steroids. I'd be amazed if Manny took steroids, he's got the body of a couch potato.

9. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    I think you are in denial. Well, it's hard to keep up the wishful thinking after this news.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/12/03/bonds.steroids.ap/index.html

By the way, if Sheffield has an ounce of credibility, Bonds had been totally in charge in the Bonds/Anderson relationship (remember the SI story on Sheffield). Therefore, it's impossible that Bonds didn't know what substance he was using. The bottom line however is that he was indeed using performance enhancing drugs whether he claimed ignorant or not.

10. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evidence? You want evidence?

Here it is:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/12/03/BALCO.TMP

He, like Sheff 'unknowingly' used the 'roids. Case closed. I hope he fails miserably in his run at Hank Aaron's record.

11. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good timing, Metros#1. Beat me for it by 3 minutes.

12. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Well, you got the original article though. :)

Talk about the fairy tale...
    "Bonds testified he had never discussed steroids with his trainer -- not even after federal agents kicked in Anderson's door to serve their search warrant. That was out of respect for Anderson's privacy, Bonds said."

If anyone believes Bonds was telling the truth, I have a piece of Brooklyn Bridge I would like to sell him.

13. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    The sad part about this whole saga is the number of people who are in complete denial. I had a friend who just loved Barry Bonds and could not accept reality especially when the facts are pretty clear. Baseball is a mess.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's that sorta spite that makes just shrug my shoulders. If the Red Sox locker room was proven not to be 100% clean this season would you turn your back on them, erase your sig, and wish them failure for the rest of time?

15. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Zing

16. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    So you're ok with baseball players using substances which are illegal and which are scientifically proven to greatly increase the risk of suffering severe health problems?
    So you're ok with "competition" where some competitors are using substances that if you or I were taking them, we'd be arrested, but not only do they take them, but their league's 'policy' against them is so much of a joke, it reeks of practically telling them to keep doing it, here's how to not get caught.
    So you're ok with Mays, Mantle, Dimaggio, Williams, Ruth, Aaron, etc being mentioned in the same breath with people who cheated to get mentioned with them?
    Your attitude is precisely the one Baseball is banking on so they can continue to poison their players to provide a juiced up product for people like you.
    I bet you like wrestling too.

17. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Then what are you doing on this thread?

Ben, I meant 3/4 of position players. I bet a slightly smaller percentage of pitchers use. But I get at 3/4 just by estimating how much more prevalent it is likely to be than the minor leagues, a league that HAS had rules in place with enforcement policies and such.

Remember, 1/3 of the minor leaguers selected for Olympic trials were dismissed for positive tests. Given that, I think it's naive to put the major league level at anything below 1/2, and I think it's much higher. Just too much incentive, and it wasn't even against the rules.

As for Manny, I'm not so sure. You're right it's not quite as obvious as guys like Nomar, Bagwell, Thome, ARod, Blalock, Delgado, etc., etc. But if I had to put money on it, I'd still say yes to Manny being a user.

Btw, this is an interesting post from Sons of Sam Horn:

18. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    It's amazing that Bonds apologists kept trumpeting he should be one of top two or three players of all time while never mentioned the fact without the drug-enhanced numbers of recent years, he was not even close to players like Mays, Williams, Aaron, Ruth, etc.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Really? He was more or less universally acclaimed as one of the top 2-3 players of the 90's before those numbers. He was gonna go down as one of the top playesr of his generation regardless. Then you compare across eras and it would have been debateable, but he definately wasn't a flash in the pan like Giambi. He was a top player for a whole decade plus.

20. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Exactly. He wasn't a HUGE homerun hitter, but was still an incredible player. Had he not been using the steroids, he'd be compared with Mays and Clemente, rather than Ruth and Aaron.

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Well, I am seriously bummed. I'm glad that he wasn't sticking needles in his arms, but I also don't entirely buy the "I didn't know" story. I'm sure the truth falls somewhere in between.

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    What I love is that we live in a country where you're villified if you put a bunch of performance-enhancing substances into your system at your own risk, but you're worshipped if your lifestyle primarily consisted of whores, booze and hot dogs, like the Babe.

Bonds is obviously guilty. But I refuse to compare players of yesteryear to those of today. It's unfortunate that Bonds is still considered to be "chasing Ruth," because Ruth played in a totally different era in which the ball was deader (made it harder to hit for power) but pitchers were way more tired (because most pitched complete games every 2-3 days). Totally different game. Performance enhancing drugs are just another reason why modern players and old-timers shouldn't be directly compared. Would any of the old-time legends have used performance enhancing drugs had they been available? Who knows (although I'd venture to guess Ty Cobb would be down with it...).

I wonder what Barry's godfather Willie Mays thinks of all this.

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Oh please...how many extra homeruns do you think he got strictly because of any 'roids and not because of the fact that he can read pitches like noone else in baseball and has possibly the most compact and efficient swing that anyone's ever seen?

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    don't expect an answer.

25. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    What Bonds does to his body is not my concern. However, I am sick and tired of all this sports pundits having this holier than thou attitude. These guys have been hyping Bonds and his exploits for so long. They all knew what was going on, but none of them really cared. They were more concerned with making a buck and being politically correct than looking at the facts.