The Steroids Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 655321, Sep 28, 2004.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
  2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Re: Bonds tested for steroids

You won't get the results even if they are positive. The union says that you can't release results unless there are two positive tests for the same player.

Bonds coudl try to release them himself but the players union wouldn't allow that to happen.

but i agree, no chance he's on steroids anymore, if he's ever used them at all

3. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
  4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

He's never gonna win. We have the greatest hitter of all time in our midst and people hate him because he's aloof and gets on with his game.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Actually, people where I live hate him because he's aloof and he gets on with his game for a team other than the Pirates

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

If it somehow get released that they were negative it still means nothing more than he's not on 'roids right now.

What most people are focused on is the previous two years when he was involved with Balco and all of that information has yet to come to light.

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

...and he's more locked in now than he's ever been in his career. The man reads pitches and hits better right now than probably anyone ever.

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe him. I don't think he's on steroids. But he is not and never will be the greatest hitter of all time. I want to make that clear. Ted Williams was, is, and will always be the greatest hitter of all time, bar none. Absolutely nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

Okay, the second greatest hitter of all time. Doesn't diminish my point that much, though.

10. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace

And five years ago, he wasn't even in the top fifty of the All-Century Team. Thus, when he should've been just past his prime, he wasn't regarded as at least one of the fifty greatest of all time. Now he's regarded as at least one of the top five of all time. It's not like he's managed to stay as good in the twilight of his career as he was in his prime, he's gotten better. That's unusual.

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

Wow, I didnt' realize that there actually were people out there with their heads so far shoved up their bung holes that they think Bonds is/has been clean. It's not even up for debate, really. The only interesting question is "When did he start," and "What would he have done without them?"

IMO, he still would have been one of the all time greats...maybe even have broken Maris' record (it was never McGwire's or Sosa's to lose, since they cheated too).

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Congrats. You have just won this months "Talking Loud without really saying a goddamn thing" award.

So, how are you so sure?

13. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA

the thing is that strength doesn't get you home runs, its your swing

lets say bonds has been on steroids and whatever else, maybe a few fly balls which would have been caught on the warning track would have gone out, but he hits the ball so far that i don't think it makes that much of a difference.

I've never really been in favor of comparing players from different generations. You can't compare Ruth to Mays to Bonds..etc. No question he is by far the best player in the game right now, and probably the best player of the last 30 years. Unfortunately he's an ass and everyone hates him outside of SF.

I guarantee if he tests positive or not, we'll be telling our kids and grandkids about him though the same way we talk about Aaron and Mays today.

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe he's really a cyborg. I mean, cyborgs are technologically advanced so "Bonds" or should I say XR-300 has some kinda baseball tracking device where he can focus on the ball and hit it. That's also why he's so aloof with the media. I don't think cyborgs have great interpersonal skills. Look at the T-800 from the Terminator movies. Someone should look into this.

15. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

So, in over ninety years, two men hit 60 home runs or more in a season.

Then, three men do it in two seasons.

Something was juiced.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I see Bonds on TV almost every single day...there's is absolutely none of the tell tale signs of a steroid user on him. You remember Big Mac's forehead and how it stuck out and how pissed off he was all the time?? All you get with Bonds is a general shrug of the shoulders and a personal joke and laugh with the veteran players on the side when warming up or on base. Not to mention he's absolute peak physical shape, something that most people on steroids really can't claim.

17. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

All pitchers before 1893 were on steroids.

It's the only way one can explain how suddenly they stopped pitching every game as a complete game yet had astronomically low ERAs.

If the mind can't fathom it, then obviously it is impossible.

18. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

And don't forget the cybernetic armor on his elbow and shins.

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

[​IMG]

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

In summary...

Bonds hooked up Sheffield with some personal trainers. Apparently, these trainers gave SHEFFIELD some cream that contained steroids.

Also, Bonds is a real self-centered jerk.

Er, that's really about it.

Anything there you already didn't know??

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

That Sheffield used steroids supplied by Bonds' trainers.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is up for a strong debate. But as much as I hate him, he is really good hitter. He does have a great eye, and that is something that the current level of steroids can't help.
    Yes, that is unusual. But the greatest athletes often do/perform in ways that are unexpected.

Are the Balco steroids part of the typical family of steroids? If so, then the behavioral/physical change that we saw in Big Mac would be an indication. But somehow, I think the Balco steroids are a bit different. That may not be saying much, but it could explain why BB is/was on steroids and behaving "normal."

Circumstantial - at least in reference to Bonds' own use.

24. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

You're telling us you haven't noticed Barry's head? Sweet Fancy Moses, man, you're making the strongest case against yourself in this thread.