The State of Your Current Game

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by SoftTackle, Aug 24, 2004.

1. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    All summer long I've been playing the same save and now have reached the off-season before the 2010/11 season.

My career began as a Swiss manager with Servette, the Geneva club. I brought in some talent from Eastern Europe and we were able to tip Grasshoppers for the title. In year 2, we made a nice run to the knock-out round in the Champions League but we had no chance once paired up with Real Madrid.

Way out in the front domestically and seeing little opportunity to do much better in the CL, I jumped ship late in the spring to take over Preston North End's D1 relegation battle attempt. I failed. Not relishing a year in D2, I jumped at the chance to manage D1 Reading after they offered me the job, so my career at PNE lasted only 58 days.

At Reading, I transformed the side and from just missing out on relegation the following year, I guided them to a D1 Championship and a berth in the EPL. The first year in the EPL was a struggle hovering just above relegation zone almost the entire season, but a late charge saw us end the season just below the Inter-Toto Cup spots.

With year in the EPL under our belt, the Board gave me a lot more money to spend on buying players and paying players, so the buying spree commenced. That next year we qualified for the UEFA Cup finishing around 7th. And the year after that I made a nice run in the UEFA Cup but had an embarrassing defeat in the UEFA Cup which knocked us out. In the Semi's against Red Star Belgrade I was up 4-1 heading into the second half of the away leg only to give up 4 goals to lose. Domestically, we did fine and finished the season in third place to clinch a CL spot. Heady stuff for Reading.

And it was noticed, during the 2009 off-season Liverpool, having fired van Basten, offered me the job and I couldn't refuse. With Beattie already signed, I brought in a few players from my Reading side to round out the squad, such as Borut Semler, a young forward, Robert Koren, a midfield dynamo, and Igor Tudor to provide depth on the backline. And on the eve of the season I was able to sign Emile Mpenza for the ridiculous low price of €3M.

We ended up 2nd place in the EPL, Arsenal kept a 6+ plus lead for almost the entire season. And runners up in just about everything else. Newcastle nicked us in the League Cup. D1 Wolves knocked us out in the semis of the FA Cup, which prevented a match-up against Reading. And PSV knocked us out of the QFs in the UEFA Cup.

So is the state of my team which consists of a starting XI of (4-4-2):

Beattie Mpenza
    Duff Gerrard Tallec Castroman
    Riise Traore Lucio Simpsonhirs
    Kirkland

Owen is also still with the club, but he missed the entire 2009/10 season after his pet dog bit him and gave him rabies. :(

My eventual goal to get the job at Bayern Munich, but Hitzfeld is still there and winning plenty of glory, so it will be tough.

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an impressive story. I don't switch clubs that often. I think the most I've done is move between 3 clubs.