The St George's Park National Football Centre thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 18, 2010.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think we need a thread to follow this project now that it is certain to go ahead and lets keep all the details in one place ;)

Latest news is planning permission has been accepted -

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2010/stgeorges-170510

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I'll only believe it when the place is up and running .

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It's an optimistic step. Getting the planning permission sorted means progress. I like Sheepshanks aswell. He's taken on this job, only appointed around a year ago and we are now seeing good progress. I wouldn't mind him becoming FA Chairman.

4. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Bringing in Sheepshanks to head the team to deliver this centre was one of the best decisions the FA have made. Him and his team were the ones who actually delivered Sunderland's promised Stadium of Light for £23 million.

The project seems to be going in the right direction and things seems like they are getting done. The East Staffordshire Council also voted to go ahead with a housing development that will also be based at the site according to the BBC article.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Shame he wasn't brought in earlier.
    I think he is the best man to become Chairman. He knows the game. Has links to the FA, Football League and Premiership.
    He's proven he can do a job for the FA and put their interests first.
    He's helping do the job now since Triesman has gone so I think they should just give it to him personally.

As for the project I think it's finally showing positive signs after so long.

6. Skald

Skald New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Portsmouth, UK
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great News what with all the turmoil at the FA I have been a big advocater of this for a few years. Good to see some positive news.

7. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/22/fa-national-football-centre-residents

Darn locals...

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Sounds like another frustrating delay is possible.

9. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I think this can be cleared up. The authorities should be easy to talk to. But this single resident will probably just be an idiot. The FA already have planning permission from the council anyway, so it probably won't be much of a problem.

10. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    What a surprise.
    How the hell can afew training facilities disrupt the life of these cvnt residents?
    they are acting like a prison is being built or something.

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd write to my MP kidz to block these Torie voters ffs...

...Nick Griffen got invited to Buckingham Palace...Also known as The Queens digs...Got his invitation cancelled ffs...Now I hate the BNP and all it stands for boys and germs but the last time I checked...England is a Democracy and he is an MP, who had been invited months ago...

Ps - Someones arse-dropped at the Palace imo...My money's on Nazi Prince Philipp kidz...

[​IMG]

12. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    It's not surprising, it happens at every new training facility being built these days. Everton's Finch Farm was opposed, so was Sunderland's new Training facilities. Spurs had to change to a different location. I don't think there will be a big hold up on this one.

13. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2010/stgeorges-181110

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Some positive news that it's now rolling.

The issues for me is firstly that the FA have had plenty of time whilst this idea has been stalling to give younger coaches a chance with new ideas. All I keep seeing is people like Eastick and Wigley hanging around.

Secondly there still isn't really a plan or idea as far as I can see. It's all a bit vague and that always worries me when the FA are involved. They bluff and drag things along until you get to the point when you realise there wasn't even a plan anyway.

The other fear is this might be another expensive mistake. It needs the right direction. 1,400 FA Coach 'Educators' but who are they? and what are they educating? if you get what I mean :D

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I didn't realise Mel B had been banned? Shame he was a funny character imo :)

16. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Hopefully Wigley should leave once Pearce's time with the U21's up, with any luck that is after the finals in Denmark next year. I'm not sure about Eastick though, might just have to wait it out with him.
    Well there are a quite a few fragmented articles around from the past year or two when it was stop and start. Things like coaches saying that they had to go 4 or so different places across the country to do their tests to get a UEFA Pro Licence. Things like that would be eliminated by having a central place to do everything with better equipment, much more efficient. That's just an example I can think off my head.
    I think the money invested will already benefit us in the long run more than when the FA decided to rebuild Wembley and halt doing an NFC about 10 years or so ago.

"The FA Coach Educators" could do with a bit more elaboration, but that is a job for the journalists to scrutinise now and in the future. There will probably be more information regarding areas like that as the centre is being built.

Yeah I forgot about him, doesn't surprise tbh, always seemed a little odd.

17. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    met his wife via this site..

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I hope so but I just don't know. Eastick and others just seem to be continuously employed which makes me worry about the point of this if the 'jobs for the boys' thing is still going on now.

Yeah, I agree with this definitely. It's not really the specific project that is the problem but how it will be used and who will be holding power over it.

I don't think we can hope for this. Our journalists are almost all moaning doom merchants that don't really analyse or look in-depth at much at all. They will ignore it and then if it does eventually fail they will moan about it then :rolleyes:

:)

I thought he was joking about that. Was she American?

19. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    yeah ,I think she is a moderator in here.
    Mel was originally banned for stalking her in this site.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  21. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England