The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We have drawn Portsmouth at home in the third round of the FA Cup. Remember that competition? Man City v Chelsea is the tie of the round.

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    RIP to another legend of our golden age.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah, some oil money may be coming in

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hate football.

jumhed repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The story is being splashed across all the UK newspapers.

8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They can naff right off if you ask me (which no one is, of course). Surely Yanited or Pool are a better investment.

I'd rather get by with an occasional domestic cup than take the oil money and start bleating that it's been a whole 3 years since we won the champions league.

pookspur repped this.
  9. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Football's dead mate

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think the feeling amongst the supporters is that Levy and ENIC have taken the club to a certain level and that they lack the ruthlessness/nous/finances to take us to the next level. The evidence is pretty overwhelming - 1 trophy in over 20 years. I am an evidence-based person. I just don't see evidence that we will ever win top honours with Levy at the helm.

If you look at the Alan Sugar era (1991-2001), our average finish was 10th, with a high finish of 7th, and we had a couple of seasons where we flirted with relegation. We never qualified for Europe through our league finish. In the ENIC era, we have improved with regular European football, a couple of title challenges, and the transition to the new stadium.

People point to the stadium and the magnificent training facilities, but we are not the only club that has a nice stadium and a state-of-the-art training facility.

11. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Spurs have long been known for excellent standards of training ground, going back to at least the 70s I think.

The new potential Qatari masters want the Cyprus flag banned?

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    This is the statement from the group of supporters who have been bringing the flag to home and away games for over 15 years. After the backlash from angry fans, the club backtracked on their idiotic decision and the flag will be allowed once again. The club are completely out of touch
    with the supporters. It really is time for Uncle Danny and Co. to buggar off.

SPURS CYPRUS FLAG STATEMENT IN FULL

We are extremely upset to share this news. Many of you have been asking us why our flag has not been up recently. Spurs have informed us that we are no longer allowed to bring the Spurs Cyprus Flag into the stadium anymore and that it is permanently banned from being brought inside.

The reason they gave us, is that the flag is 'a political' flag and political flags are not permitted inside the stadium. This reason is complete and utter nonsense. The Cyprus flag is 100% NOT a political flag. We have had this flag up for 15+ years inside White Hart Lane and now the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and not had a single problem. Now all of a sudden it's 'a political' flag and is no longer allowed inside. We have been part of the furniture for years and many fans describe the flag as "iconic". Everyone loves it. No one has a problem with the flag.

They are not telling us the truth in their reasoning and are lying to us. We as fans are being lied to. The club no longer care about us fans. We have been season ticket holders for 20+ years and travel to every game home and away and across Europe spending thousands each year supporting the club we love. And this is the way we get treated.

This is discrimination and we are truly hurt by the treatment of the club. They are sucking the life out of us. We are a cash cow. This is not a football club. This is a business. We have created a petition and will include it in our next tweet. We hope that as many of you as possible can sign it and share it across social media and with your friends and family to help us get the flag back in the stadium.

Many thanks.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Oh, I've never thought that. It's football ... not only can it get worse, it almost surely will get worse.

At some point I'm all but sure to say, "eff all this", and never pay attention again - which is essentially what I did with baseball (a game I played from age 7 until my early 30s and understood to a depth vastly beyond footy) in the early 90s. The soul of the game has eroded so far that it seems all but gone. That I'll be done with it entirely sometime appears almost inevitable, if I step back and look at the big picture.

So I try not to do that too much. Right now my focus is on tomorrow's Wednesday v Fleetwood Town match in League1. If you really try ... and don't dig too much ... it can almost just be a footy match.

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    So we lose our sporting director, likely lose our best player this summer, our Captain’s form has gone and he should probably go too. Conte’s got one foot out the door (like always).

No wonder Levy is talking to the Qataris.

/edit apparently the ban doesn’t apply in England yet, but they’re trying.

17. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The most political flag is that rainbow one. Get rid of one, get rid of all.

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    FOYS

Phillyspur and pookspur repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Lol. Succinct.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You can probably trace it all back to 1983, when Spurs became the first club to be publicly traded on the stock market. Keith Burkinshaw, the last manager to win multiple trophies at the club, said it best when he left after winning the Uefa Cup in 1984: "There used to be a football club over there..."

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  21. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're absolutely right, not that I want the rainbow flag gone. No idea why the Cyprus flag was singled out, are they going to ban all the Korean flags supporting Son? Or flags from any other local group attending?

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    So true, I remember back in the days of Robbie Keane, there was a season ticket holder sat behind the dugouts who would proudly wave the Irish tri-colours as the teams came out.

Yesterday, I saw some Brighton fans holding a Japanese flag after Mitoma scored his worldy at Leicester.

The whole flag thing is total bollocks from the Spurs PR folk.

23. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apparently we have stolen Arnaut Danjuma from under Everton's noses, for a loan deal. Young Dutch forward from Villarreal. Depth for Son I guess.

Not a fan of nicking someone else's player though, it happened to us multiple times.

24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Feels dirty, but it's nice that we're doing it to somebody else for a change.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I will wait until we see the photo with Poch.