The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    All our targets have tens of millions added to their price

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's interesting, isn't it. I mean, it's great that it's happening, by why say it? One can envision Levy cringing at the announcement, for the very reason Jum's mentioned. But it's the club that's announced it, so it's got to have Levy's approval. Could it be something that Conte's insisted upon? Y'know, so that Levy cannot keep the wallet closed, then have folks like me saying, "we don't want the club spending money it doesn't have." Just spitballing, of course ... I have no idea. But it does seem strange to put it out there.

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's a sign to all transfer targets that they won't be the only good player brought in, that Spurs are looking to win stuff.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Goodness me, it's white!

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not a bad schedule. There is some moaning about having big games before or after CL matches, but our opponents will also have CL matches so I don't think that's a big deal, so long as we build a squad big enough to rotate players a bit.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm, I hadn't compared to the CL dates but you make a good point.

Looks a little tougher at the beginning, with trips to Chelsea, City, Arse and United in the first 3 months. Who knows how the World Cup is going to mess up this season. I wouldn't be surprised if some dark horse who had relatively few players in Qatar made a challenge.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An anomaly...Spurs play Bournemouth, Newcastle, and ManU consecutively twice next season.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    October will be insane. With CL and that midweek ManU fixture, we'll be playing two games a week for over a month. In the five weeks from 1 Oct to 5 Nov, we'll have eleven matches. It's madness.

A World Cup in Qatar, for f*ck's sake. I hate FIFA soooo much.

On the upside, there's a good chance I'll be able to sort a trip over around the Everton or Newcastle match, and with a little luck, get a CL home match, too. Looking forward to the Football League fixtures coming out next week.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    1. This is why we need a deep squad and a good squad. We are playing with the big boys now, the stadium is full and generating massive revenues, we are in the CL, no more excuses.

2. If you hate this WC, wait till 2026 with 48 teams and a ridiculous group stage with 3-team groups. At least my home town Vancouver and my native city of Toronto will host 5 games each - and Seattle is hosting as well, so the mighty Pacific Northwest is well represented.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah, I'm really disappointed with the venues; or more specifically their locations. Not that they're poor choices, of course, but simply because they're inconvenient for me. I might head to Kansas City, depending on matches/ticket availability, but quite possibly won't, given my disinclination to pay thrice the normal rates for accomodations and, well, pretty much everything else. I was hoping for Nashville - which was in the running - as I went to college there and still have lots of accomodating friends in town, but they went out at the last hurdle. Chicago, of course, would've been perfect, but they were already out of the running since Mayor Emanuel and FIFA couldn't get past each others' unpleasantnesses. And who can blame either for that?

Anyway, no luck for me come 2026. C'est la vie. Frankly, I'll get better value by putting that money to a handful of Championship and League1 games.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, surprised they no games in Chicago. With the airport, transport, and the city in general, it should have been a no-brainer. I'm also surprised they did Seattle with Vancouver being so close.

pookspur repped this.
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel pulled Chicago's bid early on, claiming that FIFA was looking for a blank check for FIFA expenses, and he wasn't going to allow Chicago taxpayers to get fleeced on his watch. Knowing how FIFA works, this is entirely plausible. That said, knowing how Chicago politics works, it's also plausible that the mayor's cut simply wasn't enough. Who knows?

BalanceUT and SF19 repped this.
  16. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Screw it, I am all in for 2026, I hope to get to several games, between Philly and New York. Might be my only chance to see a World Cup game live. I don't care if it is Ghana vs. Saudi Arabia, Iran vs. Bolivia, I'll be there. I was in Paris during 1998 (didn't get to a game) and the energy was amazing. I don't care about FIFA's money grabbing ways and stupid competition format. I'll be there celebrating humanity.

SF19 and soccernutter repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I was living about 5 miles from the Rose Bowl in 1994. It was a month long party, everybody having good times. I also got to a few matches (Baggio's PK landed about 30 rows below where I was sitting). If I never see another WC match in person, I'll be okay. But being in a city with a WC stadium, particularly the final...outstanding.

SF19 and Phillyspur repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Pffft. It's got nothing on Grimsby Town.

SF19 repped this.
  19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just bragging about a little bit of art my daughter got me, for Father's day. IMG_20220621_091955.jpg

BalanceUT, mekarshalev, jumhed and 5 others repped this.
  20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A young lady clearly brought up right.

**tips hat**

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  22. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spurs have a new subscription service called 'SpursPlay', where for £45 fans can get pre-season and youth games and behind the scenes shiz.
    Another way of getting money from the fans, which should work as my teen said he's going to subscribe.
    At this point, Levy is Mr Krabbs.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's everybody, everywhere. "For just $4.99 you can subscribe and get add-free content."

24. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lots of feel good content from the Korea tour. Sonny seems really happy they are all there. They were welcomed at the airport like rock stars.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007