The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Probably for the best, it'd be pretty embarrassing to see him get his ass kicked by one of those cardboard cutouts anyway.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Terrible news. Thoughts go out to Serge.

Deep Pal, Golara and soccernutter repped this.
  4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    BalanceUT repped this.
  6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I like that shade of green, but it will be strange to see Spurs wearing it.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me too, green is not a Spurs color but that looks classy. I didn't like last year's green 3rd but after the semifinal I guess it has become iconic.

The primary shirt is a bit of a mess design wise but not the worst. Not a fan of the yellow details.

There's a rumored 3rd that will be a simple all yellow like the away kits of yesteryear.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How often does Levy sell at a loss? Maybe other players would come in from Inter. Then again, I just read elsewhere that Spurs are not interested in selling him.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd much rather sell him at a 10m loss than not play him, which is essentially a 55m loss (minus whatever we end up selling him for down the line, which will be much less than 45m).

Then again, it'd be nice to have him on the books when Mourinho has us lying 12th in November and gets the sack. Not that it's what I'm hoping for, mind.

Deep Pal, electrickeeper and IvanIV repped this.
  15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Why, pray tell, is going out of the competition with weakened sides worse than having not qualified for it to begin with? They may both be failures, but the former is a lesser failure, surely?

Audere Est Facere, matey.

electrickeeper repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The big clubs win trophies because they play their strongest sides in all competitions. You never hear their managers making excuses before the game about having to play a weakened side or prioritizing this and that competition. When we get to the point where our managers stop doing that (and they have all done it, from Redknapp, to AVB to Tactics Tim to Poch and even serial winner Jose last season), we will be where we need to be, otherwise we are just a better geographically located Newcastle.

18. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let's just play in the PL.

Got it.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #969 pookspur, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Are you kidding? Ferguson and Wenger complained about fixture congestion and its affect on their teams and selections all the time. Mourinho was alone amongst the 'big clubs' managers that I can recall just getting on with it and stating unequivocally that he valued every trophy for which his sides competed. And maybe Pep. I can't recall him whining about it; but then, I can't recall him having 'depth' issues at City, either. But that's not the point ...

How is it that you're criticizing Mourinho for doing something that he hasn't done yet - and that you are doing now? I know he whines and makes excuses, but I really don't get why you feel compelled to make the excuse for him upfront just so you won't have to hear it later. It doesn't make sense. If you want to have a go at Mourinho for every bloody thing - and it seems you do - you should probably welcome Europe and yet another potential excuse for doing so.

Frankly, it is when we are unable to qualify for Europe and get deep into the Cups that we are like Newcastle. They're not bitching about fixture congestion these days - they don't deal with it. There are three ways to stop our managers from making those excuses: 1) just man up and deal with it [admittedly unlikely], 2) actually win something, or 3) simply don't compete. They'll all work; but only the first two will distinguish us from the likes of NUFC.

To Dare Is To Do, man! "It is better to fail aiming high ..." and all that shit. Bill Nicholson is looking down upon us, friend! Be worthy!
    :D:thumbsup::D

edit: 'Nutter! Get in here and bring some of that 'belief' stuff with you. I'm not cut out for this!

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Wrong! Go read his comments prior to the second leg vs Leipzig and before our league fixture at Burnley. Then go read his comments before and after the FA Cup tie against Norwich, a game in which he picked our 3rd string goalkeeper.

As for Bill Nicholson, wherever he may be, I just hope he didn't see any of our football last season.

BTW, audere est facere is not Latin for play weakened sides in the cup competitions.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    No, if we play strong sides in the Europa, I don't have an issue with it, but you know we will play weakened sides and the manager will be moaning about fixture congestion, the same manager who was dancing on the Selhurst Park touchline with his assistants after the amazing achievement of finishing 6th.

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The way to not play weakened sides in some competitions is to have a squad with enough good players that even the second string is strong.

Deep Pal and BalanceUT repped this.
  23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I meant that he hasn't made excuses for failing in the upcoming Europa League yet. I'll gladly acknowledge that he's a habitual moaner and excuse-maker. But I'm not so scared of hearing it that I'd prefer that we not even compete.

C'mon, we all know what it means. And don't act like it's anyone else who, in this instance, is advocating against it.

Deep Pal, IvanIV and electrickeeper repped this.
  24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    And why would he be doing that? Unless it's because he's excited about the prospect of having another excuse, the only thing I can come up with is that he wants to compete in Europe.

You don't. Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm glad, however, that our manager - however much I dislike him (and I do) - sees it differently.

Deep Pal, IvanIV and electrickeeper repped this.
  25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I want us to compete in Europe, but only if we field strong sides, otherwise what's the point?