The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Marauding right back Eric Dier that was. Wonder if he fancies giving it another go.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this was ever posted. Tifo Football produces interesting videos about the sport. Here's one analyzing the balance sheet of Spurs that was released in 2019 for the 17/18 season.

4. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tifo is great. Their videos and pod get me through the week.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was interesting.

Trippier's tattos were hilarious, though.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well this really sucks, Lo Celso did his groin playing a meaningless friendly for Argentina and will be out the next 4-5 weeks. Why on earth are Argentina recalling him when he already played for them in the Copa America, has had no pre-season because of his transfer saga and has barely played for Spurs? Boy, I hate international football.

Phillyspur repped this.
  7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate it because of the corruption that is deeply infiltrated in it, but your reason is a good one to hate it, also.

Deep Pal repped this.
  8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    electrickeeper repped this.
  9. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, ******** ferdinand

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Talk about bad timing, Amazon is doing a docuseries about the club this season called All or Nothing. Insert joke here:

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Any manager with Levy is a marriage of convenience...

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd say there's a pretty significant difference between why he's brought in managers like Santini, Ramos, AVB, and Poch, and the reasons that he's brought in Jol, Harry, and Tim. The former, I think, were Levy's idea of more long-term projects, whereas the latter were brought in more as stop-gaps, or what Neville means by 'marriages of convenience'.

I don't know what Levy's had in mind with Mourinho, but Neville seems to think it more of the latter, and he's saying the same for Mourinho … that he's looking at Spurs as a stepping stone back to one of the biggest jobs, rather than a vehicle to his ambitions in itself. Not the happiest of thoughts, but reasonable enough.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Levy working with Jose reminds me of the old fable of the scorpion asking the frog to ferry him across the pond. The frog agrees knowing that if the scorpion stings him they will both die. Yet, the scorpion goes ahead and stings the frog anyway and as they are both sinking, the frog asks: "Why?" and the scorpion responds: "Because I don't know any better..."

I just don't know which one of Jose or Levy is the scorpion...

Deep Pal and BalanceUT repped this.
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    exactly. hence the 'marriage of convenience' - not one person using the other, but both using each other. Neville says that each is too smart to be blindly taken in by what the other is after, but will accept it in pursuit of his own objectives.

Deep Pal and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    'Boro are managed by Jonathan Woodgate, the man who brought us our last cup! Currently in 20th place.

No surprise about Eriksen. Should have sold him for whatever they could get, he has been pretty useless this season.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Still surprised nobody scooped him up at a bargain price last summer.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Have to wonder what clubs like Man U and Man City were thinking not scooping this guy up for £25 million in the summer. I shudder at the thought, but imagine a Toby-Laporte partnership at Man City.

No doubt here that the change in manager played a big role in the extension, Jose has worked well with veteran defenders in the past (think Terry, Ivanovic, Matarazzi, Samuel).

Man mangement is a big part of being a successful coach and Poch's strategy of leaving this guy on the bench in favour of Dier and Sanchez in central defense sealed his dismissal.

Daniel Levy is not always my cup of tea, but he played a blinder on this one by activating the 1-year extension clause in Toby's contract last January. If he hadn't done that, he could have been signed for free by a European club starting in January and could have left for free this past summer.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    apparently we've recalled Cameron Carter-Vickers back from his loan at Stoke. Basically, he can't get a game there. I'd guess we'll either loan him out again or try to move him on. he's pants and he's never going to feature for Spurs.

more concerning is that we're also recalling Jack Clarke, who also isn't getting minutes, from Leeds. not sure what's going on there.

23. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Clarkie (can we call him Clarkie already?), has been loaned to QPR for the rest of the season. Don't read too much into the fact that he only featured 3 times for Leeds. In the Championship, clubs are limited to 5 loanees in the matchday squad and with Leeds gunning for promotion, Clarke has been the odd man out. He will play more with QPR.