The Sporting Life from The Weekly Standard

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by StoneIsland, Sep 7, 2007.

1. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the September 9th, 2007 issue of The Weekly Standard, Englishman Gerard Baker writes,
    Go to The Sporting Life, Real Football Returns for the full article.

Best line of the piece, while talking about American Football (emphasis mine):

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/040nanup.asp?pg=1

2. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow... great story. Got me thinking, about all those lonely superbowls I spent alone playing FIFA. I'm glad that the writer shared his true feeling instead of just trashing soccer becasue more people would nod their heads along with him.

3. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it refreshing that he didn't reflexivly bash American sports, as many Europeans are known to do.

4. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    There is a minority of us who like MLB, NBA and NHL. Still a minority, but there is a good deal of respect, especially for Baseball. It is traditional for one thing.

5. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I only bash, if i get bashed first. The problem is that everywhere I go I find people giving me crap for being a soccer fan. I'm more of an eye for an eye kind of guy than for turning the other cheek. However, I was taught to live and let live... different strokes for different folks... I could go on with old adages but you get the point.