The South Part DEUX

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Finnegan, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    The last thread was getting a little long and I didn't want this Alabama vote to go unnoticed.

The good citizens of Alabama this election voted to retain racist language in their constitution. To be clear this was a vote to remove historically racist and segregationist language from the State Constitution. It was supposed to be a symbolic gesture but guess what? The people of Alabama choose to keep the language. And you wonder why those of us farther North hold the ideas we have about the South.... :rolleyes:

(via Atrios)

As a way of comparison, here in Oregon we had a similar vote in 2002 and the people voted to remove the language by a 3-1 margin (I still wonder about those who voted to keep the language :mad: )

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Fvck the South Part DEUX

Hey, Oregonians may be homophobes but at least we're not racist.[/Finnegan]

3. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you know any southerners, you know it's more about being stubborn than anything else. It's -we don't want some high falutin, politically correct liberals tellin us how to run our state - if it was good enough for my daddy and his daddy, then it's good enough for me.

and yes, i speak from experience, so don't give me that crap about being condescending to southerners.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After that post I'd rather just give you crap about being a moron.

5. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A moron because (geographically) i was born a southerner? or a moron because i speak the truth about why (a lot of) southerners voted the way they did?

6. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon

Got me there...dissapointing to say the least. But it is Apples and Oranges also - alot different in terms of timeline.

If there is a vote in 100 years to clean the constitution of the Antiquated bigotry of the 2004 Marriage Amendment I am willing to bet anything Oregonians clean the Constitution of the filth we passed last week by a 3-1 margin.

And FlowerGirl stubborness at being told what to do is not an excuse; countless men have tried to use this excuse with their wives to know avail.

7. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think y'all took my post wrong. I didn't say that i agreed. I think it's heinous, and there's absolutely no excuse for it. I was just giving you the excuse some Alabamians would give you.

I in no way endorse ignorance or stubborness for the sake of it.

I was born and raised in the south, but my parents were yankees. I'm this weird hybrid. A hospitable liberal. :D

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. A moron because you don't think for yourself.

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay, sorry for calling you a moron. Instead it's your neighbors that are morons.

10. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Motherfvcker, Alabama NEEDS more spending on public education!!!!!

Is there a site that can tell me how to make sure that none of my money goes to any of these "Red" states in any way?

By being over here, earning loot in ££££, I've got the federal piece taken care of, but I mean things like I wanna make sure no slack-jawed troglodyte is packin' my books in Amazon boxes in Alabama or something like that.

Not. One. Penny. To. Willful. Ignorance.

If you humps lack the genital fortitude to actually secede, than I want personal, virtual secession. I want Personal Red State Economic Abdication; to cut them off from any of my money, full stop.

11. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hahahaha... that's southerners for you. why do you think AL is one of the dumbest states in the country? It really worries me because i have 3 young nieces in AL. Hopefully my sister in law will keep home schooling them and not subject them to the Alabama educational system. As for your boycott... I have a suggestion.. don't buy any peanuts. :D

12. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It ok. I understand. And they aren't my neighbors anymore. Now it's the conservative midwesterners. :eek: Trust me, I can't wait to move back to the west coast or the northeast.

13. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Open letter to fellow southerners,

Dear rednecks,

If we'uns is gonna be emlighted like dose peoples up north, we'uns is gonna have to git rid of stuff like dem words in out costitutions. Nah dont be afeared, we'uns can still keep our schools separate. We just have to do it like they do up north and move to the suburbs...

14. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    North Dakota, Idaho, Arizona, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah all spend less per pupil on education, yet they all seem to learn fine.
    D.C. New York, and New Jersey are 1, 2, and 3 in spending per student yet all three are at the bottom in graduation rates and test scores.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/05/23/school-spending.htm

This is a fundamental difference in philosophy between Republicans and Democrats. Just throwing money at a problem isn't the solution.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'm on record in this forum as disagreeing with the general "throw more money at it" method of schooling, but the above simplification misses the point entirely.

16. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I think the numbers are a bit misleading, as well. NY and NJ have the largest percentage of urban area, and teachers' salaries, land costs, transportation, etc., are going to be higher. These figures don't really give us any picture unless we take into account all of the other factors, which, of course, USA Today is famous for not doing.

They don't call it the "McPaper" for nothing.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's why I'm in favor of states rights. 'bama wants to not fund public ed. Fine. As a California taxpayer, I don't want to fun 'bama's publuc education, either.

18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It figures you would be the one making the case that schools in Texas and Alabama are as good as those in the Northeast.

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Hey, why don't you go "F" yourself?

I was making the point that the dollar figures are misleading. NY and NJ may spend more money, but it costs more money to have a school in an urban area than it does in a rural one.

Why don't you stick to worrying about figuring out how to get gay people married rather than trying to divine wisdom from BigSoccer, you brain dead prick.

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you've been going to the Dick Cheney Finishing School for Anger Management. If I were you, I'd spend a whole lot more time on working on critical reasoning (though you'd probably find that concept to be some liberal brain-washing exercise).

You've made the point that New York is more expensive than Texas. So what? 'bama and 'xas are less expensive for obvious reasons beyond the urban/rural makeup; Alabama and Texas have crap school sysytems. Any objective analysis will easily point this out. You can argue that you've got a two inch dong for all I care, but the schools there still suck.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    See, this is what happens when Rhett Butler tries to sound like one of his overseers. It doesn't work. See some of my posts for a better grasp of Rebonics. Or you may want to read some old copies of Lil' Abner.

Fixed.

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Uh, Revolt? That's not what his post says.
    His point is that we can't do a dollar for dollar comparison on school spending because dollars go a lot further in mostly rural areas than they do in urban ones.

23. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was speaking to the Education Czar of America. Please excuse me.

Now, spread some more of your enlightened knowledge of the education system in the United States from your obviously lofty perch, above all of the peons below you. We wait with baited breath for your next prnouncement, telling us all where the finest schools and best education resides.

Were you always this sanctimonious, or is this something that just happened to you recently when you realized you were so much better than the great unwashed?

24. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    But how could he not have figured that out, what with his obviously higher reading comprehension level than those of us so unlucky to have been educated in the South?

25. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Gay" issue puzzles me. After waiting tables for years and years of voice throughout grade school, high school and college I have made many "Gay" friends. They all say that they were born that way. Isn't that the same as me being born caucasian, southern and heterosexual? Isn't that the same as someone being born African-American, etc..? So if being "Gay" is who you are as an American citizen then don't you deserve the same rights as any other American citizen. What is at issue here is the wholesale disenfranchisement of a section of the populace. This shouldn't be a question of morality or religious belief but a question of anti-discrimination laws. The same holds true for the racist language in the Alabama state constituition. There shouldn't be a referendum because the language is unconstitutional (IMO, and I'm not a lawyer).