The search for top class English/British managers.

Discussion in 'England' started by YankBastard, Dec 17, 2014.

1. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Really nice to Rooney doing well at Derby. He had such a good understanding of the football pitch as a player and it's good to see that translate to management.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Canada are top of WC qualifying, 2-0 win over the USA tonight, managed by an Englishman called John Herdman.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think they will be a lot of press coverage about him if Canada make the World Cup as looks very likely.

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
  5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    #131 Jenks, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    Weird thing for him to say given that his nephew managed Chelsea last season.

edit: maybe I zoned out or something but having watched it I don't recall him saying that anywhere in the video.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    So. Potter to Chelsea looks likely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62824133

I can't help being happy for him, but he may not have an easy time if Boehly's sacking of Tuchel was about results. It may not have been, to be fair - Tuchel does seem to rub his employers the wrong way.

7. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Nice to see Potter get a big job, as I said above this type of things very rarely happens in England.

roverman repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, from what I heard by various journalists it seems the consensus was that he rubbed his employers up the wrong way rather than results. Similar things happened at Dortmund and PSG apparently.

9. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

It is official. As others have said it is rare for an English manager to get a chance at a Premier League club competing in the Champions League. Chelsea did appoint Lampard a couple of years ago but not sure they'd have done so without the transfer embargo.

Should be a good test for Potter, I'm still expecting him to be England manager at some point in the future.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Chelsea will make or break that. A bad flop at Chelsea would surely dent his chances

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Well with a £12 million a year five year deal he is not going to quit Chelsea for England at any point in those five years.

12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Also theres a good chance Southgate goes after the World Cup.So he isn't going tp leave Chelsea after 3 months.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    That could see anyone replace him. Howe might be the FA’s second choice after Potter followed by Lampard maybe.

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There is now at least a decent handful of people to choose from though. Rodgers, Howe, Cooper etc. would all be OK by me.

15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Please not Rodgers

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I sort of agree. I don’t like some aspect of his style.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yes, but I just can't imagine Howe or Cooper leaving their Premier League jobs because of England. Which makes the pool of potential candidates not look so good.

18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think it would depend on how well England do in the world cup.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Cooper might but I don’t think Howe would until after the Euros.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Howe maybe not, as he's said before it's too soon, but Cooper? Surely he'd have to. That chance may never come again.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Good win for Lampard today. Many were predicting Everton to get relegated this season but he's definitely got the team playing for him. No defeats in 6 but with 4 draws. Only 7 goals scored this season could be an issue for them going forward.

Gaz811 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    They don’t really have many 3 goals or more a season scorers. Calvert - Lewin should be back soon but he has had so many injures I’m not sure he will be scoring much.

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Potter has started very well for Chelsea. 4 wins and 1 draw, including two easy victories over the Italian champions whilst playing some nicer stuff than we saw from Tuchel. He's also using a lot of English players. 5 starters last night with 2 from the bench. Mount seems to have found his form again under him.

roverman and BarryfromEastenders repped this.