The Schreuder Era Starts and Ends: 2022-23 Ajax Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax MF needs quality upgrades.
    Because of their lack of talent in this area the attack is broken as well.
    Apart from Berghuis we don’t see much quality whatsoever.
    Another important factor that hurts this current team is the lacking of quality from their outside backs.
    Rensch and Wijndal don’t have it.
    There is no supply line to the wingers or wide forwards which has been a huge staple of past Ajax sides.
    Tadic was poor again too. Pitifully slow on the ball had a great chance in box but stumbled and bumbled himself making stupid faces.
    Just so annoying watching this lackluster play continue from him.
    For the crazy statistics and analytical guys out there his numbers are deceiving.
    That all said second leg in Germany is very winnable as Union are not great.
    Ajax will need to function better with their speed of play and movement.

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, I'm a member at Los Naranjos.
    I'm still aiming to break 90, thats how much I suck at golf :ROFLMAO:

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Tadic is at the end of his career and needs to be replaced.
    For some reason I think he would make a great coach should he ever consider going into coaching

4. Ouch.
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...bar-weinig-klaar-tegen-union-berlin~a4cb8c4a/
    Ajax speelt met Frank de Boer-voetbal bar weinig klaar tegen Union Berlin

Met samenvattingAjax heeft bij de Europese hervatting bar weinig klaargespeeld tegen Union Berlin. Tegen de Duitse nummer 2 maakten trainer John Heitinga en zijn opkrabbelende elftal geen aanspraak op de vijfde opeenvolgende zege en daarmee een fraaie uitgangspositie: 0-0.

Johan Inan 16-02-23, 20:38 Laatste update: 07:17

5. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What the hell has happened to bergwijn? Someone wanna explain. Has he flopped or???

Cant see him being called up by Koeman.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When I was in high school in the 1960s in San Diego you could get a month pass to all the public golf courses for $5. You could tee off after 15.00 (3 pm in the states) and play a full 18 holes. Both of the Torrey Pines courses (North and South) were included in the pass. The south course has been used for the US Open. We would play 3-4 times a week if we didn't have baseball games. I got my handicap down to about 7 but that was it. Not good enough to play in college and I lost interest.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He has an agreement with Ajax to pursue his coaching license with the team once he retires. I suspect he will work with one of the youth teams.

Brilliant Dutch and Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    this is total sh*t. Most Bundesliga teams cannot cope with Union either which is why they are in second place. It's a more than decent side. Clearly this is not the quality Ajax team from last season and we'll see what happens in the return leg. We'll see if Ajax can change tactics.

BPBlueSox and Deadtigers repped this.
  9. Well, let's hope Heitinga makes it into the next round.

10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'd like to see what Fitz-Jim or Grillitsch have. They both can actually pass/advance the ball. Especially if you have Alvarez in the MF to help them.

Some of the drops in quality (RW, LCB, RB, CM, ST) are just downright shocking. You throw in Tadic isn't as good as last year and of all the sudden there are very few good footballers on this team.

When Timber/Kudus (IMO best 2 technical players) leave this summer, we're in serious serious trouble. It's really bad.

The brightside is Rulli looks good and that position should be set for a couple years. Elsewhere? Total disaster. Entire roster needs an overhaul.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He gets little supply.
    Big problem with the lack of combination from Left Midfield and Left back.
    Bergwijn is good when he gets on the ball most of the time but again the lack of talent surrounding him and in this entire squad unfortunately is below normal Ajax standards.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, there is a lot of frustration with this season's Ajax but that is the current reality for teams outside the top 10 Euro clubs. Every other team is forced to sell players to keep the books balanced because of skyrocketing player salaries. The only options are to run good academies and promote youth players as they come up and/or bring in transfers. The second route is fraught with peril as players from the outside may not have the technical proficiency needed to play in an Ajax system or they may just not be good enough. It's increasingly more difficult to scout players abroad and you can do what Ajax does and bring in 16 year olds to the academy or look for diamonds in the rough (Martinez and Tagliafico being the two best examples).

Occasionally the stars will all allign such as in 2019 and Ajax can make a run in Europe but that will always be the exception rather than the rule.

wynaldaisagod and Deadtigers repped this.
  13. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Watch a so called Ajax talent Kenneth Taylor play and it’s very sobering as he rarely moves the ball forward.
    He plays with very little confidence it’s hard
    San Diego is good living.
    My son just got accepted to San Diego State.
    Waiting on the financials which will be difficult.
    Beautiful place to live

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Best climate in the country. San Diego State has grown so much, I think there are over 30K students these days.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I agree. The 'consistently making CL KO stages' was going to eventually end. But to go from 6 wins in 6 matches to getting absolutely destroyed in the group stages is shocking.

This is a giant drop in quality from just last year. I'm hoping we can make some good buys this summer and promote a couple youth players to be good enough to be respectable in CL/a Quarterfinalist type EL team. Getting rid of players who aren't good enough. I think we're in for a few years of going back to irrelevancy in Europe unless we hit some home runs. We have some giant swings and misses from last summer.

I hope I am wrong-- things can change quickly. People say this Hato-age group has some speical players. We've had a few total dud generations from the academy.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You never know with youth players. de Ligt was outstanding from the beginning, van de Beek to a while to develop and of course tragically, the best player was felled by a heart condition (Nouri). Mazaoui was an ordinary MF who became an outstanding RB (he's back in training at Bayern after being out ill following the World Cup). Hato is really good and there are some other good players coming up. The problem is we all have such high expectations for Ajax.

richsavare repped this.
  17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe the best game of this new year. Ajax were pretty dominant through out and defended well with Rulli only having to make a couple of saves. Still three points out of first but moved ahead of AZ who lost to Feyenoord yesterday. Every player was above average on the day and Tadic got his 100th goal in Ajax colors with the PK. Union Berlin only managed a home nil draw against bottom of the table Schalke.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (6.5) - had pretty much routine saves to make and was good with his ball distribution
    Rensch (6.5) - played well today on both sides of the ball but needs to do better on over laps
    Timber (7) - solid game and had a couple of fine offensive moves into the box forcing a good save
    Alvarez (7) - good game on the back line
    Wijndal (7) - best game for Ajax with some forceful runs down the left side
    Taylor (7) - very good game on the ball today, did not hesitate with his passing and scored a fine goal
    Berghuis (7) - solid match
    Klaassen (7) - good pressing and his ball handling and pressing were good
    Kudus (7.5) - wonderful goal near the end that allowed him to pull his shirt up and show the sign of remembrance for his Ghanaian teammate Atsu who perished in the Turkey earthquake.
    Tadic (7.5) - good game both in the middle and on the left wing with two goals
    Bergwijn (7) - came alive with some good movement and shots that forced saves
    Brobbey (6) - decent coming on as a sub
    Bassey (6) - on for Alvarez and defended well
    Conceicao (NR) - on late
    Hato (NR) - on late
    Grillitsch (NR) - on late

All to play for on Thursday to keep the Europe dream alive and then away to Vitesse next Sunday.

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sounds like paradise :)

19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pretty strong effort today with quality movement in attack and speed of play.
    Brobbey will need to play early on Thursday to put pressure on the Union Berlin backline.
    Outside backs will need to play with the same energy getting up and down the flanks and the midfield must be a factor with quality possession between the lines.
    Get Bergwijn and Berghuis on the ball as much as possible.

Orange14 repped this.
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL @ Driessen. Make up your mind :D

[​IMG]

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Funny how much we would love Schreuder back. It might still happen if our board is willing to swallow the bitter pill and accept that Parker was a horrendous appointment.

Orange14 repped this.
  22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  23. Maybe a swap should have been made:)

Belgian guy repped this.
  24. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    First half against Union Berlin down 2 nil. Tadic not a striker.
    Outside backs don’t get involved in the attack much.
    Bassey awkward handball.
    Kudus mindless positional play negated tying up the match.
    Rulli with a disgusting howler right after likely kills match against a rather poor Union side.
    Bergwijn needs the ball more.
    Sad times for this Ajax fan