The Schreuder Era Starts and Ends: 2022-23 Ajax Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    That’s a nice win in a beker match at Twente. Felt like one that absolutely would have been a loss with Schreuder.

Deadtigers and Orange14 repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A nice combination goal by Kudus was the match winner as Ajax head into the next round of the Cup with a 0-1 victory. Ajax defended well in the 2nd half and were the dominant team. The positional play is so much better than under Schreuder and free kicks don't seem to be as big an adventure. Ajax did a good job in duels winning the majority of them and were good at clearing the ball in the box.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (7) - had one tough save to make but otherwise was not troubled
    Rensch (7) - good defending today
    Timber (7) - had a very weak pass early in the first half that was intercepted but he recovered to make an good initervention
    Alvarez (7) - strong game with just a single weak pass that marred his performance; moved up in to the MF with 12 minutes to go
    Wijndal (6.5) - maybe should have done better going forward but it good game overall
    Taylor (6.5) - had a couple of poor passes but also had a good shot on goal that forced a smart save
    Davy One Goal (6) - decent game even if he did not get his goal
    Berghuis (6.5) - had a poor pass late in the match that forced him to foul conceding a free kick deep in the Ajax half
    Kudus (7.5) - had to keep the ball at his feet with two defenders close by and then beat the keeper which he did
    Tadic (7) - very good ball possession and his pass to Kudus led to the game winner
    Bergwijn (6) - decent enough
    Conceicao (6) - had a decent spell coming in for Klaassen and his pass to Tadic led to the goal
    Brobbey (5) - had a couple of passes but not much involved
    Bassey (6) - on late for defense and delivered

RKC waalwijk comming up on the weekend

BPBlueSox repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Other than poor coverage on the RKC goal, Ajax were pretty much in control of the game. They were rotating the ball quickly trying to find gaps in the packed in RKC defense. Eventually the goals came for a 3-1 win. Rulli had one tough save to make but he was way to lackadaisical on the offsides call that negated a RKC goal. The back line was good in stepping up, forcing attackers into an offside position. The pressing was very effective with Ajax regaining possession more often than not. the top five teams in the table all won their matches so there is no change in the order with Feyenoord sill maintaining first place.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (6) - made one good save but had a couple of not so good plays
    Rensch (7) - much better play from him before going off, he defended and pressed well and worked hard on offense with some good overlaps and passing
    Timber (7.5) - had a couple of nice runs into the offensive half and was calm defending; got his first goal in a year which turned out to be the match winner
    Alvarez (7.5) - strong on defense both on the back line and in the MF when Bassey came on
    Wijndal (6.5) - really sloppy pass that started RKC on to the attack for their only goal of the game but otherwise was decent
    Taylor (6.5) - don't know if he was directly at fault on the goal, but overall he was above average
    Klaassen (5.5) - had a couple of runs into the box, but the team is much better with Kudus in the attacking MF position
    Berghuis (6.5) - had some good moments with the ball and his looping kicks into the box always were dangerous
    Kudus (8) - just a rock solid match but he is better in the MF than on the wing
    Tadic (7.5) - some very good ball control in the box
    Conceicao (6) - started on the left as Bergwijn was not fit
    Bassey (6.5) - defended well which is all he was asked to do
    Brobbey (6) - got a nice goal and made some good runs to get free
    Hato (NR) - on late
    Sanchez (NR) - on late
    Rassmussen (NR) - on late

Ajax are home to Union Berlin in the Europa League qualifying match next Thursday. Union are surprisingly in 2nd place in the Bundesliga and have two former Ajax youth players: Sheraldo Becker and Danilho Doekhli who are starters. Of the leaders, only PSV also play on Thursday with a trip to Seville. Feyenoord and AZ are already qualified for the knock out round.

4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Excellent work off the ball today.
    Enjoyed some of the pressing and energy to close down RKC players.
    Speed of play is better but lacking due to not enough quality
    Heitinga has them playing with purpose.
    One of Rensch’s best games today.
    We missed Bergwijn and Conceicao is just not good enough.
    Brobbey immediate impact.
    I’m just not a fan of Tadic playing the whole match. He’s not a striker, or winger but just makes poor slow decisions often.
    Against better teams he will kill us.
    Klaassen and Taylor struggle to make anything creative happen hurts the midfield buildup.
    Timber in top form. Both he and Alvarez very lively and committed to gain possession immediately.
    Wijndal ok but he’s just not good enough at the end of the day against better teams I have the feeling. Needs to develop consistency and production.
    Kudus roaming around is just so athletic.
    His ability to hunt the ball and press is top notch.
    Brobbey needs to start.
    Get him service early play faster to utilize his strength and ability on the ball to bring others in and run off his hold up play.
    Berghuis running more is also good to see. So creative but when we play quickly he’s generally involved in these actions.
    Good shift from Bassey tonight.
    Be smart and simple in possession is the key.

5. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    If JH doesn't start Klaassen and Taylor and Tadic doesn't play 90 min. we have some chances though slim, against Union.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The problem is the team is so thin in terms of depth. Heitinga does not have a lot of options particularly if Bergwijn is out for this match. Klaassen remains such a huge liability. His only value is making runs in the box. I used to joke when he first came up to the senior team ten years ago that the ball died when it was passed to him as he just has poor handling ability and speed. Look at how much more impact Kudus has in the MF. In the absence of a true right wing player, I would move Berghuis up and drop Kudus back.

I think I saw Union play against Dortmund a while back. they appear to be a very sound team and this will pose a very good test for Ajax. They don't have the quickness of Napoli who tore Ajax apart in the CL group so maybe out club have a chance.

Deadtigers, richsavare and BPBlueSox repped this.
  7. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    re: Berghuis and Kudus… this is essentially how they played for a bit of the second half on Sunday, right? Berghuis up (right) and Kudus as like a 10? Kudus really did look so dangerous coming through the middle like that with his creativity/skill. I feel like I remember that Kudus when he was first busting on the scene back before he got hurt in that Liverpool match a few years back.

richsavare and Orange14 repped this.
  8. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I watched Union Berlin a few times now including their past 2 games to scout for JH
    LOL!
    They definitely have shown some different looks with regards to their formation and they will press in midfield quite a bit.
    I would think they could press the Ajax backline which has struggled quite a bit against this tactic with the exception of Timber. Rensch coming off his best play I thought this weekend and the very average
    Wijndal will need to be solid and smart.
    Will it be Bassey or Alvarez as Timber’s partner in the center of defense?
    Neither is great with the ball so whom ever gets the call needs to be solid.
    Coordination of Ajax Midfield and Defense needs to get stronger against counters and start limiting the big gaps we saw during Champions League matches.
    Dutch/Surinam Forward Sheraldo Becker has a lot of pace up top and will be need to be closed down immediately.
    Danilo Doehki formerly of Vitesse in center of defense has been excellent and is a menace in the air.
    He must be accounted for and his name has been mentioned as a possible Oranje callup. Ajax needs to step up and play quicker in possession to create chances.
    Don’t need to see crap play from Taylor and Klaassen in midfield. Tadic needs to perform better too. Very wasteful with the ball.
    Hopefully Bergwijn returns because he adds some more creativity and combination play, but I don’t expect him to play after missing out yesterday.
    Please No Conceicao again either.

9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    It's semi insane how much better Ajax with just a semi-competent manager the guys want to play for. Very basic, logical lineup changes and the players not hating JH have made a giant difference.

Things like Winjdal starting, benching Sanchez, allowing Kudus to just roam, moving Tadic to the 9, Alvarez to CB were extremely obvious moves. Thankfully we got a manager who can see these things vs. brain dead AS.

I agree with @richsavare -- Conceicao is a fun dribbler but other than that? I haven't seen much. Hopefully Bergwijn is back soon and he can go back to a final 15-20' sub. I'd really like to see Grillitsch more especially in there for Klaassen. But that seems like it'll never happen.

I'm curious how Ajax will approach this upcoming stretch. If we advance in EL, it'll be at least 5 straight weeks of double match days. I think the league should be a much higher priority. But we will see how they operate. It's not like they have tons of options.

Kudus was totally miscast as a 9 with Klaassen by AS. He really should be given the chance to roam as the top of the midfield with support under him. Get the ball deep and advance it. But also have th chance to press. We really didn't see this until ironically the Volendam match when this happened and... Kudus scored.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think he is back in training.

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I believe he was on the bench last match?

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    right you are, Grillitch was on the bench. I'm unsure of how good he really is. He's only played in three matches this season and all were cameo substitutions.

13. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Both Ocampos and Grillitsch signings have turned out to be an utter waste.

14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
  15. Rench not having a good match sofar.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The nil all tie was flattering to Ajax who were outplayed for maybe 80 of the 90 minutes spending much of the time in their own half of the field. VAR intervened seeing a the merest of hand balls on a what would have been the match winner for Union. Kudus was the only offensive player who created much at all. Everyone else was mediocre with a lot of lazy passing. Heitinga has a week to figure out how to break down the Union defense and I wish him well but don't think he has the MF players who can make a difference. Football is a strange game, and all it takes is a single goal to win a match.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (7.5) - made some very nice saves to keep a clean sheet
    Rensch (4.5) - had some very lazy passes but did have some decent play as well but not enough
    Timber (6) - good on the ball as expected
    Bassey (6) - defended well
    Wijndal (4) - mediocre and rightfully subbed off
    Alvarez (6) - defended well but poses no passing threat in the MF which is needed against this type of team
    Taylor (5.5) - played deep to provide a passing outlet on the left as Wijndal pushed up the field; the tactic did not work
    Berghuis (5.5) - slightly above average is not good enough in a game like this
    Kudus (7) - really strong with the ball all evening but got little help
    Tadic (5.5) - his free kicks were next to useless, wait, they were useless
    Bergwijn (4.5) - mediocre
    Brobbey (5.5) - drew some fouls and had one chance where he was ahead of his defender but did not control the ball well
    Klaassen (5) - worked hard which is average for him

Ajax host Sparta on the weekend and then travel to Berlin for the 2nd match of the tie. Maybe the football gods will favor Ajax.

BPBlueSox and wynaldaisagod repped this.
  17. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Lots of the issues were on AS. But this match proved what I've thought all along: This team has a serious quality problem. It really shows up in the midfield.

It's why I liked Alvarez in CB to bring on more quality in MF. But even with that move, we just lack guys with the technical ability to play for Ajax. It's really concerning going forward that 2 of the better technical players (Timber, Kudus) are probably gone this summer.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. upload_2023-2-16_22-49-1.png
    Well, some superpower did think it too;)

19. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How did Doekhi do???

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hard to say as Ajax could not get into the attacking third. Union dropped everyone behind the hall in a 5-3-2 formation. Their MF suffocated the Ajax attack

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sounds like it was a boring 0-0 game.
    I'm glad I went golfing and didnt watch it

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    golf in February in The Netherlands??? Another example of global warming???

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Marbella Spain, my friend :thumbsup:

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Aha! Did you play at the Marabella Golf Club that was designed by Robert Trent Jones?

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands