The San Jose Earthquakes Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, May 12, 2022.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the recent publication of Travis Clark's article at MLSSoccer.com on the multitude of YNT call-ups for 'Quakes players, I figured it was time the club got their own thread (with Dallas and Philly.) We can use this thread to talk about the players and teams.

Below are the Earthquakes players called to represent the United States:

U15 National Team

Owen Anderson – Midfielder, Quakes U15

Rohan Rajagopal – Midfielder, Quakes U15

U17 National Team

Fidel Barajas – Forward, Quakes U17

Cruz Medina – Midfielder, Quakes U17

Edwyn Mendoza – Midfielder, Quakes U17

Oscar Verhoeven – Defender, Quakes U17

U19 National Team

Ethan Kohler – Defender/Midfielder, Quakes Academy U17/Earthquakes II (MLS NEXT Pro)

Emi Ochoa – Goalkeeper, San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

Nathan Rodrigues – Defender, Quakes Academy U17

U20 National Team

Tarun Karumanchi – Midfielder, UCLA (former Quakes Academy)

Niko Tsakiris – Midfielder, San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

San Jose isn’t just sending players to compete for the United States, though. Quakes Academy players are also representing six other countries across North America, South America and Europe:

Defender Alejandro Cano to El Salvador U20

Midfielder Allan Juarez to Guatemala U20

Forward Diego Otoya to Peru U20

Defender Tristan Viviani to Malta U20 (former U.S. U17/U20)

Defender Lorenzo Avalos to Iceland U17 (former U.S. U14)

Midfielder Oliver Hernandez to Mexico U16 (former U.S. U15)

Articles: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usynt-callups-a-measure-of-success-at-san-jose-earthquakes-academy

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/...st-represented-club-with-u-s-youth-national-t

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I feel like the first really strong class of academy kids for SJ was the U17s consisting of 2003 and 2004s. They got shafted big time by Covid-19. Lost two chances at Generation Adidas Cup, were in final eight of DA Cup and near the top of the Northwest Division for playoffs when everything got shut down. They lost a lot of scouting opportunities. Some of these guys may emerge later and surprise people.

gogorath repped this.
  3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The Brothers Cowell.

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Maybe we watch for Matteo Tsakiris too?

gogorath repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Cruz Medina have any younger brothers? We'll take a dozen, get to work Medina family!

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, jeff_adams and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    What was interesting to me was how the Quakes structured the line up. Their older and more experienced players were played on the outside and the young straight from academy guys were the spine of the team.

TheFalseNine and gogorath repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    John Wolyniec is now the Technical Director for San Jose.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/san-jose-earthquakes-hire-john-wolyniec-as-technical-director

I suspect his first assignment might be coaching Quakes2. Current interim Earthquakes’ head coach Alex Covelo and his number one assistant Luciano Fusco have their hands full coaching the first team (including an Open Cup campaign). Wolyniec seems like the perfect coach to link academy players to first team contracts. He balances coaching to win with coaching for development.

Interestingly, he’s now the second recent hire with Red Bulls academy experience following the hire of Youth Scout Matt Martin.

The Quakes are involved in an important project to build a new multi-million dollar training grounds facility and Wolyniec’s input into the design and functionality of the plan might be extremely valuable.

xbhaskarx, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be a great signing for them.

11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Haven’t seen full games of his but he looks really good in all highlight cuts I’ve seen.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. Cruz Medina
    5. Fidel Barajas
    7. Niko Tsakiris

TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #15 ussoccer97531, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    I apologize in advance for a small rant on a pet-peeve of mine that is very soccer-lingo and rankings classification-based.

I'm not trying to criticize their individual rankings, as I've explained why I don't like doing that type of thing, so I won't do that, but when I see people rank players by graduation class it drives me crazy. If you were to go by graduation class and ranked the 2025's, you are ranking late 2006's (who play U-17 league) and 2007s (who almost all play U-15 league). It's possible to do. I understand why they do it (they are a website that caters to college soccer) and how to do it (I've ranked players from different birth years before also), but it's really hard to do and I find that it's most logical to keep players by their birth years. Cruz Medina is over 15 months younger than Niko Tsakiris, yet they are from the same graduation class.

For the same reasons it drives me crazy when I hear people reference a player's numerical age as opposed to their birth year. The difference can be nearly 12 months between two 18 year olds. It tells you really little to reference the numerical age. I'll give one quick example. There's one player for San Antonio FC's U-15's that I think is a relevant prospect. If he was an '07, I don't even know that he'd be a YNT level player. However, I was given reason to believe recently that he's an '08. If thats true, he's easily a top 10 player in the age group IMO. Thats a difference of probably about 50 spots better in his age group just from being an '08 as opposed to an '07, so hypothetically that he's 14 (born later than June 17 in 2007 or earlier than June 18 in 2008) tells me very little when the difference is what I stated for being an '08 as opposed to an '07.

15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    A braggard parent. My decades have shown that those types are always well adjusted and reasonable.

Not.

WheezingUSASupport and Campeones123 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bragging or proud that his kid is reaching his goals and achieving his dreams?

twoolley repped this.
  17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    FROM MY EXPERIENCE parents who need to proudly proclaim to everyone in the world how great their kids have done usually aren’t very well adjusted themselves. If they are doing great it’s out there to see already. You have already told your kids how proud you are. Shouldn’t you have?
    Who is the promoting for?
    Yourself. Not them.
    Why?
    You want the attention for yourself. Me, me, me.
    Look how great I am and what I did!
    This isn’t a reporter asking if you are proud of your kid and you saying of course I am.
    You are taking a subjective ranking, promoting it on your own to the world and shining a light on yourself.
    Again, FROM MY EXPERIENCE parents who need to do that usually have their own issues. Insecurity, push their kids to hard for their own needs, want the spotlight for themselves, are rarely rational about their kids ability, are uber defensive, and usually blame everyone and everything else if they don’t keep succeeding to a level they want (don’t see that much here do we;)).
    Just sayin.

My opinion that’s all.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We don't know what preceded the post. Was the kid slighted at some recent point?

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  19. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Agreed. I don’t know the whole story and what happened. Just an off the cuff remark from me.
    I would wager there are few people who have kids who haven’t run into the type of parents I just described. Many actually harm their own kids.

Do I know this is the case here? No. Social media spur of the moment reaction.

Not pretty.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheFalseNine, ussoccer97531 and gogorath repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    San Jose fans should also watch El Salvador’s games for Alejandro Cano and Guatemala’s for Allan Juarez, especially Cano. I really hope they give him a first team contract soon, although I’m not convinced it’s coming.

jeff_adams repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Quakes academy player Drake Callender