The Salvadoran issue [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mikemeg, Jul 27, 2002.

1. mikemeg

mikemeg New Member

Jun 3, 1999
    Arlington, VA,USA
    I wanted to very quickly acknowledge how well it seemed to go tonight. I saw no trouble in the parking lot (got there pretty early, but after the game was fine too), no trouble on the way in, no trouble in anywhere in the stadium, no evidence of trouble in the lower decks (looking from the upper decks), and no cheering for the away team.

I still say that given all available evidence, it was logical that things would go poorly, and there may have been some incidents that I didn't see, but it seemed to go VERY well. I am thrilled. If it was as it looked, thank God, and I heartily welcome the new Salvadorans to the United community.

And soon, perhaps we'll all have something to celebrate together!!

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Word.

The only time they jeered our team was when Etcheverry really sucked up on a corner late in the game, and I was jeering with them.

3. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    From the quite side it looked the same.

Pleasantly surprised. Welcome back.

4. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problems in the stands. On the field? Well, that's a whole other issue...

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen! I say welcome back, too.

Winoman

6. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I say kiss my asss. They've never proven to be DC fans, only Salvadoran player fans. Since they now have ONE player to cheer for, they'll be nice enough not to SHlT on us. Oh thank you sir! May I buy you a beer to throw on me? Even when we had Arce, I always heard them talking crap to the Bolivians. Now we have to keep this new player, good or bad, or we'll pay for it. When they want to be DC United fans, I'll welcome them. But as long as they want to be El Salvador fans only (and therefore anti-United) they can F off.

This applies, of course, only to the a-hole fair-weather fans, not the positive supporters.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Ugluk, I saw some El Salvador flags tied together with DC United flags flying around. I also saw a lot of El Salvadorans wearing DC United jerseys.

That's enough for me.

8. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Not me.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Fans creating a good atmosphere and cheering for our team in an admirable display of behavior, and that's not enough for you.

Either you're a perfectionist, an idiot, or both.

10. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I welcome them back.

Their enthusiasm rubbed off on the rest of the crowd. The quiet side was as loud as its been in a while.

11. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Correct. They also have to:

- Not piss in the trash cans or seats.

- Not disrespect the women I'm with.

- Not grab my wife's ass.

- Not talk sh!t about other players. (They seem to
    hate the Bolivians for some reason.)

- Not throw food and beer.

- Not try to pick fights.

- Not support every visiting team.

If they want to support United, that's great - I hope they do. But even when we had Arce, the behavior of many of them was horrible. If they prove to be good fans, I welcome them. All I'm saying is that I'll wait to see that happen, after one game and one season, with or without their boy, before I bow down. If the old sh!t continues, what's to support?
    I didn't see the need for that, but...
    Either you're an asskiss, an idiot, or both.

12. Luis Chavez

Luis Chavez Red Card

Jul 11, 2001
    burke, va
    i think its common jealousy that the salvos have for the bolivians in fact for every othere hispanic team, they are jealous that there national team straight out sucks. [edited by moderator (JH6) to remove questionable content]

Tonight was just a show you will see the salvos have no sportsmanship. im surprised they were accepted by thamlin.

The day that i respect salvos is the day that they are well groomed, not drunk, can speak correctly,
    and go to a DC UNITED game that has no salvodrean player in it against a team that does and actually cheer for dc which is impossible

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reserving my opinion. I parked in lot 3 to avoid the tunnel. The people sitting next to me clearly came only to see and cheer for their countryman, not the team. They were stone cold silent except when he did something. To me that doesn't translate into a good atmosphere. Bizarre or surreal is more like it.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Can we refrain from the ethnic slurs, please?

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    So down here we have no schools smart head? this is racist and you don't have to generalize to offend a whole country, first of all your spell needs to improve! damn! I went to this thread just by coincidence since it was in the front page, I don't give a rat's ass for Cheyo Quintanilla but insult my country is another issue!

Now, I'd like to say that I'm not condoning the bad salvadorans behavior, there are bad apples ANYWHERE! but please do not generalize I'm a lawyer and speak 4 languages so please understand my reaction!

16. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Such venom here, but anyway...

I was sitting in 220, and my friends and I were in a distinct ethnic, linguistic, and, um, national, minority. Yes, most fans went nuts every time Q2 touched the ball, but they also cheered when Olsen, Etch, Convey, whomever played in combination or Reyes or Nelsen made a timely tackle. Ultimately, when they behave themselves, they're knowledgable fans who add positively to the atmosphere.

Frankly, the moment when they made the most noise in the second half was when Etch and Convey ran a little one-two by Heaps and Convey tried catch Brown cheating off his line by shooting to the near post. Brown made a fine save, but the Salvadoran fans around me stood and applauded the effort, even though Q2 was not even remotely involved.

17. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    You're right - there are bad apples everywhere. We have plenty of psychotic football and baseball fans in this country. I have nothing against Salvadoran people. I see many in the stands that have always supported United. They're passionate supporters. It's an issue of respect and common courtesy, not ethnicity.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ### MODERATOR'S NOTE ###

Here are some basic guidelines for posting in this thread or any other that deals with the Salvadoran issue. Hopefully following these guidelines will help us avoid the kinds of "difficulties" noted in some of the posts above.

1. Direct ethnic, national or racial prejudice is not OK.

ex. See Luis Chavez's post above.

2. Indirect ethnic, national or racial groups is not OK.

ex. From an old thread: ""Actually, let's all get our lawns worked on saturdays that way they can't make it to the games."

3. Discussion about fan group behavior (including potential behavior), based on historical experience is OK.

ex. See Ugluk's and Nancyb's posts above.

From here on out anything that falls into categories 1 or 2 will simply be deleted. So please don't respond to such posts. Also, anyone who cannot refrain from direct or indirect prejudice will find themselves carrying a card.

PM me with questions.

19. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I guess Q2 is Quintanilla?

20. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Yup. Quaranta is Q1, because he was here first I suppose. Just easier to type than their full surnames. We here at bigsoccer take lazy to the extreme:)

21. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Sorry, I needed to vent, I'm in cool mode again.

Ok, I know there are different kind of salvadorans living in the US, and there are a lot of bad persons that give a bad name to my country but that's another issue, I for one, travel quite often to ythe US and just for business, so I don't know NOTHING about MLS, I'm being honest, I have a lot of knowledge about european and southamerican football but not even who are starters in the MLS, so I noticed the tranfer of Cheyo to DCU by the local newspapers, i even thought to come to this forum and ask what was going on, what was the feeling about this signing but it seems like some fellow countrymen behaved so bad that the fans are afraid to even go to the stadium :eek: can someone give me a short flashback to know why is this?

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    THX

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I thought that tonight's experience was much better than those of the past. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I missed some things, but all I can remember is thinking that this was much better than I figured it would be.

24. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I hope that continues. It would be great to have a full, passionate house. And a win once in a f***ing while.

25. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'd settle for a goal once in awhile!! :D