The Salgado to Chelsea thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Clan, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    And,

it confirms that we have no interest in Kluivert. Which is great news.

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    As much as you'd hate to admit it, your club will cash in on him provided you lads can come up with the cash to support his wage demands.

Other than that, kiss Salgado goodbye mate!

;)

5. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Salgado is the son in law of the ex-president of Real Madrid, who's no big fan of Perez, I'm told. He's also fluent in English. A move is possible. I don't think Perez will match Chelsea's offer, which is still less than Roberto Carlos makes I believe.

Madrid would be mad to let Salgado go, but I said the same thing about Makalele.

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  7. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Florentino Perez announced a "deadline" for contract renovations of thursday, saying if no agreement was reached he'd wait until the end of the season to renew contract talks. this would leave Salgado free to sign a 'pre-contract' agreement in the upcoming transfer period. right there for the taking. well, still haven't heard anything about Salgado signing a new deal.
    F*&cking Perez. And he boasts about the profit Madrid are making. How much is the difference between Chelsea's offer and Madrid's? About 6-8mil euros over 4 years if numbers I've seen are correct. Even at Chelsea he won't be earning half of any of Madrid's stars.

8. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    If we were to lure him to London, it would have to be substantial enough to justify his move..... therefore it'll have to match his asking price to Real.

We can afford him, it's just a matter of whether we need him or not.

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I think the steady hand of expierence is what Ranieri is after here.Whilst young Johnson is a class act for the future he is still green and mistake prone.At 19 he could understudy to somebody like Salgado for a few years and still have the vast amount of his career in front of him.

10. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_date=20031031&xref=20031031dasdasftb_1&type=Tes&anchor=dasftbA00

article says Madrid will announce in a few days that Salgado will not renew his contract as Chelsea's offer is 'too good to refuse' - states Chelsea's offer is 600 million pesetas a year (sorry, not sure what the exchange is, and I wish they'd stop talking in pesetas there's no such thing anymore) vs. 350 million a year offered by Real Madrid. states Madrid 'can't match' Chelsea's offer (uh, I think it SHOULD say 'refuses to match'). states that Perez told Salgado 'if you were my son I would advise you to go'.

How far does Perez have to go before Madrid supporters think its too far?! No one is going to complain about the yearly superstar purchases (Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Beckham) - but with a thin squad defensively Madrid passed up the chance to sign Argentinian central defender Milito (he played quite well against Madrid in a nil-nil draw with Zaragoza I understand), let Makalele go (which I wouldn't argue with as his behavior prior to the transfer was ridiculous imo), and now he's reportedly ready to let Salgado go as well. enough is enough.

As for Salgado, would he be a regular starter at Chelsea? It appears that there is no such thing, save Cudicini. I understand the lure of the British Pound but I can't understand star players accepting that level of rotation.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, lets look at who his competition is shall we?
    Mario Melchiot and Glenn Johnson.
    If he comes-agree to come-signs a pre contract or anything at all it will no doubt be the end of Melchiot.Johnson would be the understudy to the expierenced senior player and would probably get 1 in 4 starts.

I think Salgado would not be right in as he would take time to adjust to the game in England--much like it has taken Makelele a few weeks to adjust to the pace, style, physical nature and is only now begining to show the form he had at Madrid.

12. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i've heard rumblings that Ranieri is not too far off from selecting a regular starting squad (although I'll believe it when I see it). Is it looking like Makalele will be part of that? Do Makalele and Lampard ever play at the same time?

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I think what is actually going to happen--and most of the players have said so--is that Ranieri is close to picking a regular 6 or so players for every week duty.I highly doubt he will ever start the same 11 players, or, would be able to with the vast size of the squad.

Lampard and Makelele have played together before and do so quite well.
    In fact the middle line up of

Gronkjaer---Makelele---Lampard---Duff

is the one favoured by many.

14. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    interesting to see how things panning out. My half-Danish side is pleased that Gronkjaer is keeping a place. Anyways, I will go back to my own boards now.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Doors always open for you.........

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Re: The latest

Hopefully, you play as well as you can to make sure that your next employer pays you a large sum of money. Hopefully for us, at least :D

18. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Re: The latest

Retaining three fullbacks are unthinkable even for a cash rich squad like ours. Melchiot would not want to be third in the pecking order as well. All though he is a utility player and has covered for central defense as well, I don't see a need for him anymore next season when Huth comes of age.

If the rumour about Lucio is true (supposedly a replacement for Dessa?), then the higher probability for Melch to leave.

He'll still be a priced asset for a team such as ManCity where Keegan has been rumoured to be interested to sign him when available.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well,

it looks like we really want to sign a RB at the end of the season. If we want Johnson to be the eventual successor, I would think we're looking for a veteran to give us two good years and also mentor Johnson. (Which really rules out up and comers like Puyol.) I would think Thuram would be a great option, if Juve would sell him, or Zanetti from Inter. Sure, they aren't likely to leave, but if this thing with Salgado has shown anything, is that the right amount of money is a pretty tempting lure.