The rising cost of streaming

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Sep 2, 2021.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I liked when the games were free, even if the production quality was not very good. I found out today that UC Davis is requiring viewers to register with a service that requires payment.

I think I'll do a survey of BW and San DIego area teams in the next few days to see who is still free.

2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    I refuse to pay for BTN+ to watch the Hoosiers. I just had to switch from ESPN+ to Paramount+ to get the Milan games. Thankfully, P+ includes CONCACAF qualifiers and Champions League. I'll be watching a lot less college soccer this season without ESPN+ though.

espola and fknbuflobo repped this.
  3. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I've had a love-hate relationship with BTN+ for years. I justify limited timeframe BTN+ subscriptions by thinking about the cost to attend a single game - usually about $10 or so. That's the monthly cost of an IU-specific BTN+ subscription. I know there are away games I won't be able to attend, so I bite the bullet and sub.

4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    You two guys know each other?

5. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Strangely, only through BigSoccer. I keep inviting stphnsn down for a tailgate (and the tailgate last night was the highlight of the otherwise bleak evening)!

stphnsn and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Sacramento State (BW men's soccer associate member) requires ESPN+ signup.

7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    UC Davis at San Jose State is free after providing facebook account.

8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Good video and audio, knowledgeable announcer (sounds like a student). Single camera, no replay, but bug on the progress bar can be moved back to make your own.

9. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    UC Irvine at LMU --

Free after a couple of commercials. Video looks bandwidth-limited (blotchy colors and discontinuous glitches; audio is good with fair commentator. Replays after significant plays and a little highlights collection at halftime.

10. JayPak

JayPak Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Creighton used to produce home games in-house and stream them for free, and the quality was good. Now, the Big East bundles all the schools' in-house productions and sells them through Flosports, which is expensive. Hence, fewer people watching Big East soccer.

JoeSoccerFan and espola repped this.
  11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Slightly outside my declared survey -- CSU Bakersfield requires ESPN+ subscription.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    And I always tell myself "next time," but life's complications always seem to get in the way. At this point I'll be lucky if I make it down for a game at all this season.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    USD home games are free streaming, after a too-long commercial about WCC.

UC Irvine games require ESPN+ subscription.

14. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    On the other hand -- Pitt at Penn State is live now on FS1. Not exactly free, but included in my (too-expensive) cable package,

15. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    So I watched the UC Davis at USD game (all but the first few minutes. Davis won 3-0. I then read the writeups on both schools websites --

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/9/12/mens-soccer-aggies-shutout-toreros-for-first-victory.aspx

https://usdtoreros.com/news/2021/9/12/mens-soccer-toreros-defeated-by-uc-davis.aspx

Apparently written by people not at the game.

A few more details -- Davis' first goal came after a left-side corner led to some kicking the ball around, then a long shot from outside the left of the PA. The second goal was a long pass to a header. The last was a ball brought up the right side, passed to a shooter in front whose shot was blocked but not controlled, and he put in the rebound.

16. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Cal Poly home games require a subscription to sidearm sports, which is free until at least next June.

17. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    CSU Northridge requires ESPN+

18. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    UCSB requires a Stretch account, which is free with email address

19. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I have been watching some of the UCSB home games this season, but now that it is Big West Tournament time, an ESPN+ subscription is required.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That deal was signed this summer between the Big West and ESPN+.

21. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I was hoping that since UCSB and Cal Poly did not require an ESPN+ account to view their home games that they would continue the practice into the conference playoffs.

Any idea what will happen in the NCAA tournament?

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conference contracts will drive the events when it comes to postseason. Regular season can be different, as some schools may choose to stream through their own internal capacities, but conferences can also sign deals where it all goes through a media source (like the Horizon League does with ESPN+).

NCAA tournament is typically up to the host school isn’t it? Or, it also could be streamed on the NCAA website, which was what several were shown on in previous years. Those were free too.

espola repped this.
  23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Last year, IIRC, it was a mix of free, pay and not available. For example, I know some were unavailable to me (PAC12 NCAA) specifically since I don't have the PAC12 Network - though I'd be willing to pay for it if available. Many were on ESPN+ which I have.

I believe that almost all the matches were free a few years ago. Hopefully this returns - but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck.

ThePonchat repped this.
  24. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    A last note -- the D1 semis and finals are on ESPNU, a channel that requires an additional subscription cost on both of our cable hookups.