The return of women's professional soccer.

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SUSIE-Q, Oct 24, 2005.

1. SUSIE-Q

SUSIE-Q Red Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Boston
  2. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: WSII to steer WUSA re-launch.

?

That's from 2004...... :confused:

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Yeah, please look closely at things like dates before linking articles.

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

Hey now, December 2004 is a pretty recent announcement by WUSA standards :p

5. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

....and after reading that article, is like discovering a photo of an ex-g/f while cleaning your room. You wish hadn't and now you are all :( .

...oh..well...

6. socrisus

socrisus New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Anyone got any factual info ?

7. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Re: Will WUSA Return or is it a Myth

Go to thread. re:kk141.of Turkeys,Parades and Xbox360's... since I have no idea how to cut,paste and post you will find an interview with Foudy about the WUSA that maybe helpful for your there. tenth thread to the exact.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

There will never be another league called the "WUSA". That brand name is forever poisoned.

Eventually, someone will attempt to start another professional women's soccer league.

9. playsambastyle

playsambastyle New Member

Nov 8, 2005

Is there a new league in the works or is that a far away dream?

10. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

Not anytime soon, I spoke to a former player in mid september, she had no info other than the 2007 that has been thrown around... Mitts, in early august, told me that there would be an anouncement by the end of October.... it is (IMHO) getting too late to get things together for 2007

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Neither, IMHO. I'm pretty sure someone will try again in the not-to-distant future.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

The WSII (Women's Soccer Initiative, Incorporated) has developed a couple different business plans. They are currently shopping those plans around to prospective investors and corporate sponsors.

If they can get enough support from both categories, they plan to launch a league in 2007. At this point I don't know how successful they have been at getting investment and sponsorship.

I do know that a new professional league from this group would be much leaner and meaner - and likely more geographically compact than the WUSA was. We're talking class A minor league baseball. Or more likely, short season rookie league baseball.

Players would all get paid, but the majority would need to work during the offseason. As such, the new league's season would not conflict with high school and college coaching seasons.

13. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

Here's the most recent release from WSII (almost a year ago).

http://www.wusa.com/news/?id=1723

Nothing more recent than that on anything on wusa.com .

If anyone besides MLS tries to start a league, what Andy wrote makes sense - 3 month season mid-May to mid-August - no coast-to-coast travel. I'm personally pulling for MLS to make a go of it when stadia are in place.

14. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

You're scaring me. A leaner WUSA is like telling Keira Knightley to go on a diet.

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike

In hindsight, Version 1.0 of a women's pro league was probably a bit too ambitious. A more regionalized league would probably be better at the beginning.

16. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

:eek: :mad:

Donut be dissing mah avatar like that! :D

17. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On the mark, along with Andy. I would expect the teams to be limited to the east coast. If that is the case, probably 6 teams.

18. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny

Whom are they going to attract? national attention no, nobody would realy adopt a team that is not located locally unless there be tv coverage nationally. name any league today that is centralize rather it be Football.Basketball, etc. beside can any one team attract an average of 5000 fans a game with such a set up. what about if several games are playing the same day how much leveage does it have taking the city soccer demography in mind. somebody better make sense of this tread.

19. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

Is that who that is? See, that's why you don't put sexy, thin actors in little avatars. They are virtually invisible.

Don't we already have semi-pro leagues for women? Why bother creating another semi-pro league and pretend that it is a real first division league? No thank you. Go big or stay home.

Please pass the donuts. :D

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

And your point?

The objective is to start a league that can survive. The next professional womens league won't be national in scope. But then, neither was the last one. Exactly which WUSA team did your garden variety fan in Chicago follow?

As to attendance, what does "national footprint" have to do with local attendance? Teams will - or won't - draw 5,000/game based on local marketing and ticket sales. I don't know of a single WUSA team that drew measureable numbers of fans outside a 50 mile radius. In fact, few teams other than college and pro football do.

Look at the growing pains of MLS. Look at the failure of the WUSA. Look at the ups and downs of indoor soccer, arena football. Look at the disaster that was the XFL.

Starting a professional sports league is a losing proposition. In the WUSA's case, it was over $100 million. The amount of money on the table for the next women's pro league won't be that high - and if they lose it - it'll be gone, too.

The #1 concern will be survival. All other considerations pale in consideration.

It'll be a lot closer to the National Lacrosse League than to Major League Soccer.

No, there won't be any real national media. It'll be doubtful that any games other than the final and maybe inaugural game are on national TV, and even then it'll likely be something like Oxygen or Fox Soccer Channel, and not ESPN.

I know I hope in vain, but hopefully we've seen the last thread with "WUSA" in the title. The WUSA is gone - forever. Savor the memories and memorabilia.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

No, there is no semi-pro league for women. There are two national amateur leagues (W-League and WPSL) that are designed primarily for college players to play through the summer while retaining their college eligibility.

The WSII business plan is for a fully professional league.

22. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny

This isn't time to be funny. they are college and women who have played soccer from a young age who will love to have a place hound they skills. that kind of statement wouldn't go down well with them.

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

[​IMG]

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

. :p

24. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I have always been curious, but what can be learned about women's soccer leagues that exist in Europe as it pertains to one to re-starting one in the US?

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I thought his post was quite humorous.

As for the college players, what are they doing hanging out on BigSoccer?

Frankly, I think a lot of BigSoccer posters are more protective of players than the players are of themselves. I also find, as a member of the media, that players tend to have a better sense of humor than most posters in the women's forum. Those that remember the blow-up in the Beat forum over the Kelly Cagle photo probably remember a poster even contacting the team. I talked with Kelly last year, she thought the photo was "great" and funny. So I updated it.

[​IMG][​IMG]