The Return of Tim Howard - September, 2015

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by John McGuirk, Jun 5, 2015.

?

Will Tim Howard start in 2018?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Howard, Guzan and Hamid is a really solid three. Steffen and Horvath from the U-20's are also starting to emerge. I like our depth at GK.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Last cycle when everyone around here was calling for Guzan to start I was one of the few who said no.

This time around I am saying move on Howard. It is time for Brad to start.

4. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't remember that many people supporting Guzan last cycle, but Howard is a legend. We don't need to screw over any more legends, especially if they have a chip on their shoulder and are playing well.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There was a long , LONG thread about it during the Qualifying. So many people were calling for Howard to be benched.

But I will say the same thing I said in that thread. Next cycle is Guzan's turn. And this is that cycle.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Howard would of been ripping the defense a new one vs. Netherlands, and they'd have deserved it.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Guzan is the starter now. We've got competent MLS backups and youngsters on the way.

Let Howard spend time with his family. If Guzan gets hurt and isn't available for important matches in the next couple of years, we can pick up the phone and call.

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd say probably not, but in the shorter term I could see Howard stepping back in, especially if Guzan's role at Aston Villa remains uncertain next season.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This speed bump for Guzan hasn't caused me to hit the panic button yet. I've seen Howard have some stinkers too... Guzan just needs to learn from these mistakes. He has the quality, to still be a world class keeper.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some, my self included, that thought he should get some more minutes in friendlies in case Howard went down but agreed I don't remember anyone clamoring to bench Howard for Guzan. I remember a few claiming Rimando was better than Guzan.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It happened.
    And the loudest clamoring happened during the Hex. Especially after the Azteca match.

12. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, this, x10000

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    We do not have the luxury of telling Howard to move on. People seem to think we have depth at Keeper but our young Keepers are nowhere near good enough to trust in a Confederations Cup or WC qualifying yet when the stakes are raised. There is nothing worse than to have strong roster of outfield players only to have a close result blown by a silly Keeper error that would not have happened a year or two later in development. Let them compete in camps and friendlies and we will see who earns the job. Howard is a special athlete and a general in the back. He left but he did it the right way and inspires his teammates. He should be allowed to compete for the job. If he left without really communicating with Klinsmann and it was a crucial stage in the cycle then that would be another thing.

John McGuirk repped this.
  14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    After Guzan I have very little confidence in the rest of our goalies. And frankly Guzan has been hitting the rocks as of late so I am happy to see Howard back in the fold.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    By the time the qualifying cycle is over someone will step up to fill in a backup need.

IF Howard can find it in his ego to be backup then I can be all for it. But as starter?
    I think it is Guzan's turn.

16. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Tom Collingsworth, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Won't be necessary imo. People in this thread seem to be seriously underrating just how good Bill Hamid has been for DC for going on 15 months now.

Hamid is getting ever closer to the Guzan - Howard level and I wouldn't be shocked if he's better than both by 2018, I would have no qualms starting him in an important match right now.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tim's form had dipped pretty severely if I remember correctly -- then the real timmy showed and no one talked about it again.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States