The Return of Godard

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by GringoTex, Sep 4, 2002.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not that the world's greatest living filmmaker went anywhere, but Jean-Luc Godard's new film "In Praise of Love" opens this Friday in New York and Los Angeles before going nationwide.

Check out how Godard provoked a reactionary, Limbaugh-ish review from the normally liberal and staid New Yorker Magazine:

http://newyorker.com/critics/cinema/?020902crci_cinema

I'm declaring it a masterpiece without having seen it for Anthony Lane's hysteria alone.

2. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I betcha Lane's still chubbed up from his screening.

I've heard some great stories about NY & LA press wonks doing battle to get a couple minutes with Godard, and the politics involving the movie's PR people. Seems that a couple reviewers gave said PR company's late Summer bomb projects good reviews, and expected the favor to be paid back with an audience with the old codger, which ain't gonna happen. I love that stuff. More proof that reviews are for chumps.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It must have something going for it to bring out THAT much stupidity in one person. It was hilarious, though, reading Lane while I was also reading Rosenbaum's "Movie Wars." It's not like JR needed extra evidence to prove his theories, but Lane (inadvertantly) helps him make a few points.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (factual nitpicking)
    Besides just being silly throughout, Lane is erroneous in stating that Simone Weil died a Catholic. She never converted.
    (/factual nitpicking)

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WHAT! Are you criticizing the NYer's fact checkers? I thought they never ****ed up.