The Renamed 'random thoughts about music' thread"?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by nicodemus, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The best breakup album is Beck's Sea Change. Especially Lost Cause. My go-to breakup song though is Dylan's If You See Her Say Hello.

Dyvel repped this.
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Every Sunday it's become a tradition for me to play jazz music, cook something delicious, and enjoy myself.

Tonight, it's Mingus and Roy Ayers.

Ayers I feel doesn't get enough recognition unless you seriously like jazz. He's one of the most sampled artists in hip hop but even the longtime jazzheads I know aren't too familiar with him.

On a related note, I decided to attend the Detroit Jazz Festival this fall. They have Herbie Hancock on the first day and Gregory Porter on Saturday. It's free to the public, decided what the heck, I'm going. I've slowly started to appreciate just how magnificent music wise this city is.

Auriaprottu, Elninho and crazypete13 repped this.
  3. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Didn't know where to put this, so.....

Fun Fact: Elvis had his first concert ever, at the Shell on this date (July 30), back in 1954!
    Elvis was "so nervous he stood up on the balls of his feet and shook his leg in time with the music. To his shock and horror the girls in the audience went crazy, yelling and applauding."

[​IMG]

Check the spelling on the poster.

NER_MCFC and crazypete13 repped this.
  4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Been having this on repeat the past few months. It's a whole mood. Ranking Roger's outfit, his forceful-in-a-fun-way of trying to get people to dance, the drummer's shirt (I tried to track down one on the net), and that cafe they're all in (I wonder exactly what/where that is).

It's just a great video and catchy song. Good thing to wake up to.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? Its the Cavern Club, isn't it??

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to look that up. I've never been to Europe proper. Saw other people posting that that's where they thought it was. Pics look right on.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Never been to Europe either, but I was part of the Beatles generation(s) and learned what it was/looked like about mid 1964...

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I was an Elvis Impersonator specializing in The Early Years, I think I would start calling my act "Ellis Presley." The "tickets at Walgreeens" is interesting too. For me, it's interesting because Walgreen's founder grew up in my home town

Len repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dyvel, Nacional Tijuana and NER_MCFC repped this.
  10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Every Saturday at 11AM or thereabouts in a little public space under the bridge outside my place The Heavyweights Brass Band guys have been doing a pop-up concert during the warm months of the pandemic. It’s been my guilty little pleasure while I procrastinate grocery shopping and other errands.

Kazuma repped this.
  11. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KEXP is having some sort of an all request day. It's actually pretty good. Sometimes those can be pretty bad. I trust the pros more than most of my peers.

Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  12. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had Spotify for years now, and do love it. But it seems to throw random things at me. I was listening to "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens (sp?) a few minutes ago, then it went onto Neutral Milk Hotel and now LCD Soundsystem. No complaints. Good music. But I'm trying to figure out which playlists these are coming off of. I see no green indicators like normally tells you what's on if you're following a playlist.

crazypete13 repped this.
  14. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If you have the ‘Autoplay’ feature under “…>Edit>Preferences” turned on, the algorithm will play similarish music to your playlist when it ends. If you play a single track autoplay kicks in when that track ends.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  15. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, I don't remember the last time I fooled around with Preferences. That's actually a pretty cool feature to have, and it seems to work pretty well! Thank you for that.

crazypete13 repped this.
  16. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    On this day, October 17th 1954, John R. Cash signed a record deal with Sam Phillips at Sun Records.

NER_MCFC repped this.
  18. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    #1543 Len, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    65 years ago, during the afternoon of Tuesday December 4, 1956, the world's first superstar jam session took place and the MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET was born! Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins sang and performed their favorite songs at the famous Sun studio in downtown Memphis, Tennessee.

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler and NER_MCFC repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Cash's agent made him go in for the photo op, but he didn't stay and is not on the tapes.

20. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    That's interesting. I didn't think I'd heard Cash's voice much on the CD - although I'd read it was because he was further from the mic than the other three.

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A lot farther. Like across town...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Apparently. I always thought it bit odd; but if it was an impromptu gathering, and the recording was almost an afterthought, it made sense that the poor positioning was something that might not have been discovered - or even worried about - until it was over and listened to later.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Sam had no blank tape available, so when the jam broke out, he used bits and pieces of leaders and tails on other spools to record it snippets. I think it was just one live mike in the room.

This was Elvis back from the tour that he was on when Sam sold his contract, the tour where he bonbed in Vegas and swore he'd come back as their highest paid performer ever. He came by Sun to pick up his stuff, and ran into a Perkins session, with Lewis hanging around hoping they'd want a piano part or two... so there wasn't any advance warning for the studio; I'm not sure the recording even was Phillips'. Might have been Jack Clement?

And I imagine had he known about it Cash would have planned to be there-- he and Presley were road acquaintances, and Elvis seems to have recognized early, and with sympathy, that Johnny had it bad for June. I don't think the movie overplayed that...

Len, chaski and crazypete13 repped this.
  24. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    I just found this pic I took of a lady sitting in front of us at one of the events during 2019 Elvis Week.

upload_2022-1-8_13-50-51.png

I love Elvis Week.

25. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    I probably should have included this photo, I don't guess everyone got the relevance of the tattoo.

[​IMG]

A childhood photo of Elvis.

Dr. Wankler repped this.