The reinforcements for Chivas :: How much will they really help? [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Knave, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The reinforcements for Chivas :: How much will they really help?

J.P Garcia's chip shot was great.

2. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA

well it thought they were gonna help the team...but didn't expect that kind of improvement...

3. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I gotta say watching those 2 play right now it makes me wonder if they arent possibly the 2 best players in the league right now. Their skill level is incredible. Anybody who has Chivas left on their schedule better worry now.

4. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    yeah got to love crew luck..
    we were all like well we still have a chance we got rsl once and chivas twice.
    now i'm saying.. ********

5. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    same with us we havent played them at all this year until today and we have a game out there later in the year.

6. Zivheads

Zivheads New Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Evanston, IL
    I thought the Fire were screwed because we already played both Expansion teams twice, while the other Eastern Conf. teams still had guaranteed wins over RSL and Chivas. But no more. Wow, are Chivas fun to watch. They finally have the players that can make their style of play work. In a matter of 45 minutes they went from my least favorite MLS team to my 2nd favorite MLS team. Ole!

7. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Yeah, this "Palencia" guy is a little bit of an improvement over Matt Taylor. :D

Yesterday I voted "mid-table club", but so far it's looking like the option above it might be more appropriate. Chivas still can't defend worth s**t though.

8. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's wait until they run into a little better defense and a little more in-form team than the one they're playing today before we get carried away. Probably won't get that much space playing KC, NE, or SJ

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "With the number one pick in the 2006 MLS Super Draft, Chivas USA selects Marvell Wynn."

:D

10. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    "Pirata" Castro was supposed to play today but was injured, aparently he will play next game, he is a solid, experienced defender and should improve the goats deffense

11. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The new players looked good, but unless the refs stop giving HORRIBLE PK decisions against Chivas (4 in the last 3 games, all of which cost the Goats points) then it's really a moot point.

Once again, the officiating (disgraceful) decides where the points does, or doesn't go in an MLS game.

Whose the bastard in the black was never so apt.

12. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    In all honesty, even though the ref helped the Metros and they equalized on a last-minute shot, Chivas USA did not deserve to win this game. They allowed the Metros to knock the ball around with ease 15-25 yards from the Chivas goal for most of the second half. You just can't do that without getting punished sooner or later.

And the goats needed to win this game if they had any hopes of reaching the playoffs. They're 15 points behind Colorado, with 8 games remaining and 9 for Colorado. Not gonna happen.

I'm standing by my original "mid-table MLS side" choice. :D

13. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    The decision to bunker the entire second half was not smart at all. With the group Metro had on defense tonight they should have kept going at them all game. They helped Metro by packing it in.

14. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    yeah and you can't bunker with that kind of defenders either...

15. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    They would have helped but the Metrostars cleverly signed their re-inforcement (named Michael Kennedy) just before kick-off.

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Metrostars other than Guevara could hit the broad side of a barn with their shots, they probably wouldn't have needed the ref's help. The Chivas defense is still the most porous in the league, and only Guzan's heroics are keeping their Goals Against column looking respectable.

17. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Does anybody besides me hate Chivas USA more and more as the season goes along. With the exception of Guzan and Ezra, I cannot stand these thugs. Not even Matt Taylor. But I guess that this hatred is good for the league.

18. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not as much as i hate kc......i had to say it

19. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to go on record and admit that I was wrong. Palencia and Garcia came to play. They showed passion and resolve. And a hell of a lot of skill. It is clear the new players will have a huge impact this year. But that may not translate into results. And I still don't see them making the playoffs. Only 9 matches left to play. Just not enough time.

The defense is still very bad. But if Castro brings the same level of quality they will be better. How much I don't know. I still think they need to upgrade the outside backs.

They should stick with El Guzano. I don't know anything about Garcia except that he is currently the third choice keeper at CD Guadalajara. But the United States does have a better track record of producing world class keepers. And Guzan has all the tools.

20. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

Likely true..If they keep their new additions and improve with their new selections in the off season they will be a totally different story next year and the LA Derby will really be something.. :cool:

21. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    If all these guys they brought in are coming back next year Chivas is going to be a force to be reckoned with. The advantage they will always have over every other team in MLS is they have this large supply of talent already in their organization in Mexico that they can always tap into.

22. steviemsv

steviemsv New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    SAN DIEGO

I don't know anything about Garcia except that he is currently the third choice keeper at CD Guadalajara.

when you have olswaldo sanchez as your main goalie, it'd be hard for anyome to take the lead spot. but definietly guzan should be the goalie the rest of the year