The reinforcements for Chivas :: How much will they really help? [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Knave, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I was curious to see what people thought.

How much will the reinforcements really help Chivas?

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: The reinforcements for Chivas :: How much will they really help?

it may help to review isactly who is coming and their background...

3. Eskandarian11

Eskandarian11 New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia

Im just thinkin which GoatHead voted SUPERCLUB. Hillarious.

4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think their quality will improve and they'll slid by the skin of their teeth into the playoffs, but get bumped off in the first game. They'll rebuild over the offseason and have a huge "re-launch" party before the first game of the 2006 campaign. How do yu say "Let's try this again" in Spanish?

5. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gosh, Knave, how many snarky Chivas threads have you started now?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

There's nothing snarky about this thread. I was just curious.

7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes:

8. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA

well i don't know about Chivas USA's attackers but seeing the losing record they have i think they'll help a lot..

Palencia used to be in the NT(maybe should even be playing for it right now) and he was one of the best players in Chivas during the Libertadores..

Garcia well he looks like a promising player, very skilled and with good technique..but was very irregular playing for Atlas and then there was the incident with his girlfriend..but he could help the team too..

9. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES

Honestly speaking, The new players coming from Mexico could only improve the team to a better level of competition. I still think that Palencia and El Loquito will not score against the Metros. The fact being that both players are stil going to need to adjust to the level of MLS which they will, but I think both players will be surpised on how much the level of competition has grown and developed in the MLS. I hope that Palencia is the first one to admit it.

10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

too little too late. they won't have the time they need to jell.

11. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Four more players from Mexico that will no doubt underestimate the quality of play in MLS. With little time to adapt to the league, or gel with their new teamates they will have little impact this year IMO.

And is Garcia really going to replace El Guzano as the starting keeper? I think that would be a mistake. The kid has earned his place!

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Whatever. If I wanted to be snarky it'd be much more obvious.

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was all confident before about the reinforcements helping them, but foolishly thought the additional players could begin playing much earlier than this.... SO by now, it's too late unfortunately.... But i think they'll play much better, just too many pts to make up and make the playoffs...

14. Vascao

Vascao Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Zona Sul
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will these players stay with cdcusa after the 05 season? Will they (Palencia/Castro) switch over to the mexi-league afterwards and then back to MLS come april?
    If all 3 of these players aren´t on the 06 opening day lineup, then Vergara/Cue clearly haven´t made the commitment they so often claim in every single interview they´re involved in....

15. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ

Paco's been my favorite Mexicano for a while. I think his flair will be good for the league. But more physical defensive play may hamper him the same way it hampered Hermosillo and El Flopador.

I have no idea what shape Paco is in, but if he is healthy and at the top of his game, he should be a nice signing. But these signings are far too late to help them to make a serious run at the MLS crown. Maybe if they had come a month ago.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the Goats USA are desperate for confident, stylish and professional play in the final 1/3. now they will finally get it.

i said it'll make them a solid, mid--table team but they might explode. they have 5 or 6 guys who can play tough D, but no one to put it in the breadbasket as it were. now they just might have that. it might change them completely...all for the better.

17. steviemsv

steviemsv New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    SAN DIEGO

palencia will rise to the occasion in the MLS and really help chivasUSA with advice and expirience that ramirez prolly isnt. i hope he sees going to the MLS as a real opportunity to make a name for himself in the US and go to a major MLS team...wishful thinking maybe...

BUT

no way will they make the playoffs this year.no way...but they will get a few more wins on other established MLS teams,like the win over the revs.so lets not all be down on chivas just cuz of all the boasting before the season began...

haha are you kidding?playoffs..heheh hohohaha...good one

18. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

They'll make the playoffs and go out in the first two matches. I profoundly believe that. Next year they could be scary.

19. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For those who think Chivas can make the playoffs this year, do you really think they can catch Colorado? They each have 9 regular season games remaining. Colorado has 28 points, Chivas has 12 points. That means Chivas has to make up a 16-point discrepancy in 9 games. In other words, Chivas has to win 5 more games than Colorado, plus an extra draw, over 9 games.

Chivas don't get a chance to take points away from Colorado until they play them on September 24th and October 5th.

By the time that rolls around, Chivas will have played away to Metro, away to Dallas, home with Columbus, away to San Jose, home with San Jose.

Chivas is also done playing against Salt Lake, whereas Colorado gets to play them twice more: at home on October 1st and away on October 12th to close out the season.

Can Chivas go 7-1-1 while Colorado goes 2-7-0 ?

Chivas also has to surpass Salt Lake. At the moment, RSL is 9 points behind Colorado with a game in hand. If they can win their game in hand and take both games against Colorado, then they would be considered even, not counting the results of their 6 outstanding matches.

Although Chivas would probably prefer RSL to take points away from Colorado, if RSL wins those games they are putting distance between themselves and Chivas, too.

- Paul

20. MarkA

MarkA New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    SoCal

Don't use logic and math on Chivas - they'll show the gringos. Just you watch...

LOL

21. steviemsv

steviemsv New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    SAN DIEGO

REAL is just as bad as chivas. hahahahahhaha

man if either team makes the playoffs then MLS is in bad shape.

both expansin teams barely have what it takes to make it in the MLS.

MLS is no flashb in the pan that it will let mediocre teams into its cup rounds.

And this is coming from a ChivasUSA supporter.

22. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito

Same can be said about the geniuses that voted "no change" and that they'll be playing worse than before.

:rolleyes:

23. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"They will now play like a team capable of scraping into the playoffs."

they will play like that, but won't accomplish it

24. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

they will help with the image of the team, for a moment I thought they may make it to the playoff, but it will take a total meltdown of Colorado for the goats to bypass them, with only 9 games remaining ? happens only in Hollywood.

Anyway, I hope this is the team that Vergara promissed, I read that Palencia and loquito had the option for 3 years, if so I'll buy a season ticket next year.

Palencia ran circles around River Plate and Boca's deffense with the blue machine in 2001, and again with big chivas this year against Boca, seems to be fit and ready, and besides the goats cant be any worse, but to push the team to the playoffs ? its the stuff of movies, we can only hope.

25. that'sthecrewforyou

that'sthecrewforyou New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Indy

Alot, if you are watchin the Metro-Chivas Game Alot
    And a good offence is the best defence