The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    bungadiri, Winoman, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  2. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Why the hell does everyone keep evaluating Josh as a striker… still? He doesn’t play striker for Norwich… far from it. He has been playing out wide almost all season and is pretty much a wide midfielder at this point. His lack of goal production up until this game has been bad but again it needs to be viewed relative to his actual role with this team. I feel like many of you don’t actually watch any of his games or even highlights and just check the scoresheet to complain that he hasn’t scored. Norwich sucks, no one is scoring on their team. If people actually watch the games and understand his role as a wide midfielder he has been pretty good for them. Let’s keep it going Josh!

taylor, Zinkoff, The Irish Rover and 6 others repped this.
  3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The brace was scored after the selection had already been made. Also, I don't think you make a selection off one game.

superdave and onefineesq repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    People twist words here.

I never said Norwich was to end the season like Derby. Only that it was very unlikely for them to save themselves, since at that point they were doing as poorly as that legendary Derby team.

It's still unlikely they survive.

5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    ‘Quite clearly below Pepi’ . Good luck reigning in those expectations man. Pepi has potential but let’s see how it pans out. MLS provides significantly more space and time on ball

Who said Sargent was close to Haaland. Certainly not me, ever. He’s a work in progress and def showed progress yesterday.

6. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Josh will be one of the few 21 year olds who can ever say they were nominated for ‘Goal of the Month’ TWICE and in 2 different top 4 leagues (by 21). He might be the only one.

He’s probably gonna be Norwich Player of Month based on last 2 games.

Probably going to make many ‘Team of Week’ selections.

Climbing goal scoring charts with many surprising big name near him.

The baby changed everything!

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty impressive scorpion by Josh. With his luck this season one could have easily seen the VAR ruling that goal out for the push on the defender in the box, but the soccer gods smiled down on him for once this year. Glad for the kid to have the brace. I truly hope he pushes on from here. I still hold that he’s looked pretty ineffective this year, but we’ll certainly see going forward what happens. He’s certainly going to keep getting getting minutes. How many chances and what he does with them is anyone’s guess.

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Positioning, tactical discipline workrate to name but 3

dark knight repped this.
  9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Woulda been typical of his luck for both to be ruled out, but they were good calls. The "push" in the box was nonexistent, and was actually really impressed by pukki there to work so hard and barely touch the defender. it was a nice play by him because usually that's a foul with even a slight push. But pukki was so gentle there the ref couldn't even pretend he caused the defender to go down

ttrevett repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you imagine the bad luck to have a potential Puskas nominated goal ruled out because of a flop by the defender sold some VAR judge? Glad for Josh that the goal stood.

zanderbz repped this.
  11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so few Haalands in the world for a reason. Sargent is still only 21 and that is young. There is still a lot of time for Josh to develop in front of goal regardless of position.

The Irish Rover and golazo68 repped this.
  12. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I haven't been "absent." I just don't feel the need to chime in after every single game (or after every single poor moment like you and Taylor). I've been consistent on my position on Sargent for years, including this season, and you can go back and see that. I've seen most of his minutes this year (I finally got Peacock because of him, lol) -- watched the first half before coaching yesterday and then watched the second half later. So, don't act like I'm a reactionary fan that doesn't actually know who Sargent is as a player.

Yesterday was a huge game for him. Your criticism of him has been way off base. He isn't "shrimpy" at all -- in fact, his physicality is a major strength of his. He isn't slow and unathletic, as anyone who has watched him knows. That is not to say that there haven't been things to criticize, but your shtick deserves to be called out for how stupid it is. If you're going to revel in Josh Sargent misery, expect to be called out when he proves you wrong. If you're going to constantly clown him, expect for that to come back at you when he performs.

Still a long way to go, but this was the kind of complete performance that fans have been hoping to see for a long time. It's the kind of performance that many believed he had in him. Many others, like yourself, have given up on him. Suit yourself, but don't be surprised if that comes back at you because that flies in the face of how young players develop even as you've argued against that logic over and over here.

kumuyc, Winoman, superdave and 10 others repped this.
  13. Ahem, they did it against superclubs like Real Madrid, Juve etc. in the CL. Not only in the Eredivisie.

usnroach repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Guys, why all the sudden interest in Sargent?

15. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Josh, and Norwich, have been showing little signs of improvement recently. I didn't see the game, but from the all touch video, he did way more than just poke in two goals. He looked really good on attack. The teammates he passed the ball to, maybe not so much.

I think all of the talk of him being slow is just not true. He's not a speedster, but he can cover a decent amount of ground reasonably quickly (at least some of the time). I was almost as happy to see him winning 4/5 aerial battles as I was for the goals. He seems to lose out in that department about 98 percent of the time.

It's obvious he has a lot more improvement to do. Maybe Josh shows more in practice than he does in games. I do notice that sticking with some players for a while allows them to develop. Jonathan David offered next to nothing game after game for many months at Lille a couple of years ago. Eventually, he turned it around. Maybe Josh is in a similar category. We can hope, anyway.

Good for Josh. He has been compared to Bobby Wood, for god's sakes. Hopefully he's not going to have that happen again.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Howdy guys - a couple of housekeeping notes:

I’m really losing patience with people who think this is a national team forum. I don’t give a ******** who is in your 23 and if your post has any name or nickname for our national team coach I may just skip due process and go to a red card. I’m going to start forum banning folks who can’t learn this.

I’ve just thread banned two posters for personal attacks. Personal attacks will definitely get you forum banned.

I also removed off topic other player discussion- we have specific places for these other topics to be discussed. Thanks.

@bungadiri @TheFalseNine

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be awesome if this became a turning point for Josh.

Is it ok to root for that?

usnroach, freisland, Winoman and 6 others repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Of course not!! This thread is the designated "safe space" for the guys who've never trapped a bag of cement in their lives to shitpost about a guy who's only 21 and already in his 4th season of Top 5 football because he isn't the player they want him to be.

Rooting for him will result in a suspension and praise will result in a lifetime ban. @dark knight @bungadiri @m vann , be on patrol!

19. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I mean compare Sargent to Rudrigo Muniz. Sargent has 14 months and almost a season and a half more professional top flight experience. He cost only 2-3 million more than the Brazilian.

Muniz has 3 goals in 9 appearances in the championship on a team that literally is blowing every team out of the water. Not a terrible return considering age and adjustment..

But the point is young forwards rarely pull a Haaland. It's a lot to be the central focus of attack. It's like this everywhere on the pitch. Outside players typically can be younger because the margin for error is smaller and traits like speed/acceleration play better.

golazo68 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Persective?

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    His gf/wife just delivered his first child.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Aww, man. Beerholder is out? That was a nickname from his playing days before we hated him.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Nobody has suggested that Sargent should look for move up, team-wise? WTF is up with YA/BS?

yurch10 and Winoman repped this.
  24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    ?