The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1322596484546760706 is not a valid tweet id

2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    He makes more mistakes than he should. But you can see that the potential is there.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is a good description.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's about getting Osako into that "false nine" role. Take a look at how Bremen's player's receive a ball, give it a shampoo and shave, then look up to see if anybody's open who might want the ball. That just doesnt work. Osako is the right pivot guy in the middle who can shuttle the ball forward to Rashica and Sarge doing their thing left/right.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    29 and 43 on the game clock are worrisome. He just needs to pass into space there. If he can get that down he will be a tough cover.

6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal was great, overall game not so much for Sarge. But, baby steps.

Game was a classic BL midtable battle: nitty gritty. Not god awful from Werder at least. Pavlenka is so key to them staying up this year.

Excellency and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Ironic that he played well in front of goal with the finish and another good first time strike on target, but the rest of his game was pretty shaky. He showed what some people think he is lacking and got a nice goal, but I still think it was a below average game by his standards.

LouisianaViking07/09 and mace repped this.
  8. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Honestly I don't know what you were watching. He was very good. He is doing what his team needs from him, apparently not what you like to see.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the first half at that pt, & at the time it was the consensus view. Pretty sure what his team needed was not for him to lose his target opportunities & blow attacks because he didn't make decisions quickly enough.

10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarge sith a Kicker 3.0 against Frankfurt. Only Pavlenka with a 2.5 was rates better.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChicagoVT repped this.
  11. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    It's hard not to be overly critical of a player when you are focusing almost entirely on him during a game. I think this is especially true for Josh. All players have bad moments in games but, it seems like every mistake he makes is overly weighted. Compared to all of the other players on the field vs Frankfurt I think Josh was well above average. And that is pretty damn good for a 20 yr old striker in the Bundesliga.

12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    And there's a reason he doesn't come off the field this season...clearly the manager is happy with his performances (and just reiterated again that a starting 11 doesn't exist without Sargent).

Didn't watch the game, but that highlight package looked pretty good compared to the posts here. Maybe the highlights missed out on some of his 1st half issues, who knows.

mace and Winoman repped this.
  13. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I watch him every week (not saying you don't). The biggest problem I see for him is how to decide when his team needs him hassling people at midfield, and when they need him getting ready to break. He isn't super fast, so getting from one role to the other is a tax on his offense. But his team just needs him to do both, and they accept that his offense will suffer some. They appear to be right in their ask, their defense was brutal last year and is actually working well this year, and it is good to see him be part of it. I have seen deft touches moving the ball forward, he is not hesitant when he has reasonable options, but if he comes to a stop with the ball at his feet, then he's made a bad decision. It happens. The stats for duels won and passing percents are pretty useless for his game with this team. When you are tasked with pressing while your team mostly isn't, you are going to get the ball when you have no support (either by winning it, or your team winning it and sending it to you before you've been able to move into an attacking position).

russ repped this.
  14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    No kidding. I think it was WM's first game with Juventus where a few posters were pointing out his two bad plays and saying he had to clean it up or he'd be on the bench, ignoring his overall great play. Focus on any other player on the team and you'll find a some bad plays to be critical of.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's reality. It's a mix. We see all the positives, like the runs & pressures, the neutral overlooks when following the ball. We also magnify little things on it like a basic outlet your average fan cares little about. In addition, if anything we're inclined to be biased toward our players, though I like to rid myself of that factor which warps a fair & accurate perspective. Some don't appreciate that & want the rose-colored glasses version.

Of course one of the problems w/ this perception people were being too hard on Josh are some retroactively going back to read comments from the first half where he struggled & applying them for a whole game he grew into in the 2nd w/ a goal + positional move.

16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    repped because i'm guilty as charged, It is a 'soccer dad' phenomenon.

17. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5667 derek750, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Subjective means based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. Inserting a claim about your own supposed objectivity as an appeal to authority is rhetorically unconvincing (though some of your other points are certainly valid).

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a truism that fans of a national team, on average, are inclined to be at least a little biased toward their players.

As far as individual biases, they aren't all equal. Some are more biased to others. I am personally frustrated by bias, so I try to resist the urge for bias myself (everybody has some). But you don't have to believe that. It was said incidentally.

19. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5669 derek750, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    It's also a truism that someone doesn't get to claim they are unbiased (or less biased) because of a "personal frustration toward bias". It's actually much more convincing to reveal your own biases than it is to deny you have any.

Not personally attacking you, but I think it's important.

felloveranddidanadu, nobody and dougtee repped this.
  20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a shame, but also totally reasonable.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    stay healthy and relax this break so he's good to score on his next Bremen game

23. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    And from the website about those regulations: "The decision has been made due to a regulation from the Bremen health authority, which states that players who are returning from international risk areas must quarantine for five days"

So, can't Josh play the first game against Wales, then go back to Bremen for his 5-day quarantine, and then be ready for the next Bundesliga game? Isn't that what John Brooks is going to do?

FC Tallavana repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    looks like sun is shining on him

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... it is a shame but I think his role/worth are known qualities w/ respect to the USMNT and it will be nice to see a couple others get a chance. Who replaces him? Aron J?

TarHeels17 repped this.