The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's the criticism itself--the lack of strength. You are simply saying, "He's pretty good for someone not so good at this."

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also one more point--I actually agree that he's good at flick headers. But those aren't the type I'm talking about. Here I'm speaking of the back-to-goal, man-to-man with the CB type of headers.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    1. This is a fair criticism as it relates to Josh's ability to beat players 1v1. However, there are lots and lots of really good and even world class strikers who don't have this ability. He links with teammates very well, and I think his movement is good and getting better.

2. He was tossed around quite a bit last year. I haven't seen that as the case nearly as much this season. He is still growing and getting stronger, but I think his physical tools are pretty good right now.

3. Heading the ball is not a major strength of his, but I think he is adequate with his back to goal and in the box.

4. I strongly disagree with this as I do think he is a natural finisher. He has scored bags of goals at every level leading up to the Bundesliga displaying "natural" goal scoring instincts along the way, and it's not like he's whiffing on chances on the regular for this Bremen team -- he's just not getting a lot of them.

He's a 20 year old striker with 2000 minutes in the Bundesliga and 6g/5a in that time. He's played well and has shown progress each year. I'd be shocked if he is the same player in five years as you suggested he might be.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewandowski was 57% last year and Haaland seems to be right in that 50% range. Any CB who is 8 for 21 on aerial challenges would be out of work. If Josh can get up there close to 50%, he would be doing well. It seems to be an area that it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect some improvement from Josh as he becomes a little stronger.

The Irish Rover and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those keeping track at home, 8/21 is 38 percent.

I actually think Haaland should be working much harder to win such duels. He certainly could be more dominate if he focused on it. But it isn’t a focus of his game nor does Farve use him that way.

6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Why are you talking about a center back? We talking strikers. You have the website to find those stats, so we can compare other strikers to Sargent, and not necessarily the two best in the world?

I just figured a striker wouldn't win 50. CBs are bigger and stronger, in general. Surprising lewendowski is so good he seems real skinny.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    most forwards trying to win aerials are attacking defenders in a lot better position than they are to win them, especially a hoof and hope side like bremen

russ and The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CB's are expected to win majority. I should have worded it differently for jumpy folks. Josh could use an area to excel in, (imo) and aerial duels may be
    an area as he gets stronger. That is all.

yurch10 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    1) What does that have to do with being a striker?
    2) You must be thinking of old footage. He has been showing some muscle this year.
    3) Does this come up with Bremen? I'd hope this would change because 2) has. But with Bremen we may never know.
    4) Does this come up with Bremen? I have seen some very nice one touch from him, though.

10. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Let’s take a look at Sargent and compare him to someone like Benzema. Someone who can hold onto the ball, make smart passes, and finish.

1. 1v1 dribbling ability is nice but ultimately not really a dealbreaker for a striker (benzema averaging .9 dribbles for his career, josh at .8 this year up from .6 last year)

2/3: josh’s physical attributes aren’t great but not necessarily bad, and imo he has pretty high potential to improve in this area. (Benzemas header Percentage is 36% compared to the 38% already referenced)

4. I consider josh to be a good finisher, he hasn’t exactly had much opportunity at Bremen, but has shown it at other levels. If ultimately he never finds the finishing touch at the highest level I would consider that a problem. But I’m not overly worried about that right now.

There is a high chance never becomes great at creating and finishing his own opportunities. But if he can excel at setting up others, and finishing others set-ups that wouldn’t be so bad. The description makes it sound like a hold-up or poacher role but I think he brings more to the table than that.

11. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh in the starting 11. Game on ESPN + at 10:30 am EST.

12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical. Sargent has finally had several opportunities in this one in the 1st half and has choked them all away. Very disappointing. Bremen is hard to watch... but Sargent is the only US Intl playing right now.... Gio on the bench and CP hurt in warmups. Don't get me started on the last one. I don't even want to go to the CP thread for a while now. Unbelievable.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been terrible. Open field opportunities, takes him forever to make a decision, & ultimately it's the wrong one. Not ready for the element of surprise in the box when a ball caroms to him. Disjointed in his outlet attempts. A guy who lacks confidence right now.

This is at striker. He shouldn't be your closest player to goal w/ his lack of poise in the final 3rd AND being a mediocre target to play out against a better team.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are also a lot more directional options for defenders than there are for attackers in an aerial duel - where attackers are basically looking to win the ball and go toward goal or create a combination. For a defender the options of away from goal, to either side, toward goal with enough pace/power for the goalie to play the ball, or even just delay until help arrives can all be winning options.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I have apologized for him often due to the supporting cast... but this has been a terrible half of football for Josh. He has had more opportunities in this 1st half as he has had all year and he screwed the pooch every time. Just brutal.

16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Who says he can't finish?

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, I'm convinced. Josh Sargent can't finish.

taylor, SteelyTom, kba4life1 and 2 others repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reverse Jinx. Nice. Josh on the scoresheet.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It counts. Good finish. Only takes one and you're a hero. That's football.

SteelyTom and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he just scored. Stayed onside on breakaway down the left and had nice classy finish for the goal.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have this recent habit of tuning into matches seconds before Yanks put the ball in the back of net. I like this recent trend. Plus I just see the positive and not the negative. :D

SteelyTom and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can have a sh!ty game but all is forgiven if you score.

24. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bremen is on the ropes. Sargent playing more like a wingman, helping the RB who is no better than the one that gave up the goal.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.