News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Like I said before, he is currently negotiating a new contract and he's not happy with the money they are offering.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't he sign a 7 year deal like a year ago?

5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-4-3_11-31-57.png
    Honigstein is also suggesting that Dortmund's asking price, in conjuncture with Sancho's salary demands have put off most top clubs interested in him. United are definitely not one of them.
    United sees him as an essential piece of the current rebuild and a potential pillar of the club in the future.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    re: Saúl i can't find the article i thought i saw on a potential transfer. maybe taken down probably a mistake so my bad there.

i'll retract the statement of reasonable links with him. it would still be a nice transfer though

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    jnielsen repped this.
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree clubs with strong cash positions will flourish and their will be great bargains to be had.

But, I feel those clubs will be few and far between.

Those who rely a lot merchandise sales, those with high debt positions, and those with a large proportion of commercial contracts coming up fir renewal soon, will suffer most. My fear is we fall into this category.

Also, bad contracts will be even more impossible to shift now.

Here's another take on this issue.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...ue-to-coronavirus-impact-sources?platform=amp

In general, I think transfer fees will drop loads this coming window, whenever that happens.

Our biggest hope, is I think clubs with strong, well stocked academy's will weather the coming storm the best.

benni... repped this.
  10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our pending shirt sponsorship is a massive concern for me. The recovery period is likely to be long, arriving after our Chevy deal ends.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The market this summer is going to be very weird. I think there's a good chance that smaller clubs (and maybe even some big ones that werent in a good financial state prior to the market collapse) could be forced to sell players or will be willing to let players go for less than normal. That gives teams like United that already had a financial advantage and ever bigger one, as long as the upper brass are willing to spend in an uncertain market.

On the flip side, theres a good chance that teams are unwilling to let players go during the downturn because their values will be lower. There's also a good chance that cash strapped clubs will be trying a lot of swap deals this summer. It will be interesting.

I think if the Glazers give the club a decent sized warchest this summer, teams wont be in the position to play hardball as much as usual and we might get some good value. Thats if the Glazers dont shut down shop until the market rebounds like a lot of clubs will this summer.

Honestly, I think we're one good summer window away from being securely in that #3 spot in the league. Right now its Pool and City then a huge gap (despite Pool being way alone up front). If we have a great summer, there would still be a gap between Pool/City and us, but we could create our own gap between 3rd and 4th. Unless Chelsea spend big this summer theres really nobody making a serious push for that spot. Currently its just a crapshoot between Chelsea, Spurs, Us, and LC.

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @benni...

You might want to listen to Thursdays Football Weekly podcast.

They actually focused on the transfer situation and the economic fallout for the clubs across Europe.

benni... repped this.
  13. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I disagree, the clubs that will suffer most are those that rely almost exclusively on matchday and tv revenue. What will they do if there are no fans in stadiums into 2021? For as much of a joke as it has become, we’ve actually been set up well to handle this situation with the vastly diverse commercial contracts we have. That’s likely to be the most stable source of revenue.

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    TV revenue is based on broadcast though, even if its behind closed doors.

But for us, what happens as those commercial deals expire, like our chevy deal, and the wider economy is in the shitter?

Agree on match day revenue.

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re commercial deals i think it depends for example it may not be a normal type business that would do a shirt deal with us. I work for a consumer products company and our sales are up 40%(locally in the US market anyway) in the last 6 weeks partially because we offer home delivery for some of our products plus our store products are flying off the shelf. So my point is not all companies are hurting but for sure we won’t be getting a British Airways or United Airlines to sponsor us. (Who btw I always thought they’d be ideal with a United across the chest)

16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you think that's genuine demand or artificial demand pushed forward from future sales?

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Initial demand was people stocking up on supplies but its been steady since. I'm no expert to be honest but I think our sales will drop to normal levels when everything will reopen again.

18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From David Ornstein, so make of it what you will. Definitely agree with this personally, if it reveals to be true. Grealish is a luxury (especially if Pogs stays) and a top echelon DCM could easily make United's midfield into one of the better ones, not just in the league but in the game.
    upload_2020-4-20_11-28-36.png

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Grealish doesnt make sense with Bruno here unless as a depth guy. And he'll cost far too much for that role.

If Pogba leaves, either go after a box to box 8 or a top tier DM. If Pogba stays, go after a top tier DM.

Personally Id go for Partey either way. A midfield of Bruno, Pogba, Partey is world class. A midfield of Bruno, Fred, Partey is still very, very good.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Decent listen on the current financial situation at United, the transfer market this summer due to COVID, and the Newcastle takeover.

One of the highlights is something I've mentioned a couple weeks ago which is despite the obvious impact COVID will have on the transfer market, I think United are in a better position than most clubs to take advantage of it.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some rumors today that PSG want Dalot. Personally, I don't see why we sell him unless he wants out. He's a perfect plan B to AWB, especially against bottom half teams that want to bunker.

benni... repped this.
  23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    While were at it. Dean Jones seems to think Jude Bellingham will choose us over Dortmund.

Means he's definitely going there.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I haven't seen much of Bellingham, but these are the type of guys we should be targeting.

But if he wants to further his career and develop, Dortmund is clearly the better choice.

25. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone see Woodwards comments today?

Yea, there wont be any 9 digit transfers in the game for 2020.

Every club will be incredibly constrained in spending, including us.

jnielsen repped this.