News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Laurens is spot on here.

2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think I'm a star watching the Gab and Jules show more often. I really believe this is the Glazers model. Qualify for the CL get that sweet sweet CL money pocket it and pay off a bunch of their personal debt. Don't do much to reinforce the team just enough to make sure you can make fourth again. rinse and repeat

jnielsen repped this.
  3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So basically don't spend more on transfers now and when we get kicked out of CL next year, spend just enough to get back in.?

CybrSlydr, thenamestsam and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1504 Ashur, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are a few sites going with a story (dunno if briefed or not) that the club are blaming the fans for creating a negative atmosphere going into the new season :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

topnoevili, Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1506 Ashur, Sep 18, 2020
    upload_2020-9-18_11-12-58.png
    Considering where we are right now, if we were to end up with Sancho, Telles and VdB, it would actually be a pretty nice haul for us for this coming season.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    PSG are apparently now on the urgent lookout for a left-back as one has just gone down with an ACL injury and the other has just been banned for 6 matches.

Supposedly they are now looking at Telles who Ed was hoping to get on the cheap ...

8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    PSG have been interested in Dalot for a while, I'm hoping they'll come back for him.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hopefully they missed the few games he played LB for us :)

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's only played a few games in any position lol.

jnielsen and Sofabloke repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If United and Telles have an agreement in place, let's hope they won't be messing about to get it done with Porto as well. Particularly if PSG are lurking about: if they decide to go for it, no doubt they will close this quickly.

12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    They didn't miss the games against them.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    5 year contract? Lol wow

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1514 Ashur, Sep 18, 2020
    Who has the correct info?

Bouhafsi has been pretty hit or miss lately: would really trust him with rumors concerning French players (or ones playing in Ligue Un) more than anything...
    Fingers crossed we're not just the bait used to lure PSG out.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Likely will be a 4+1

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Muppets, keep in mind the whole story could be bait to drag out PSG.

jnielsen, LA. MAN UNITED and benni... repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Given the account's handle, it's probably BS, but would it be a complete surprise if it weren't? :cool:

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    What I don't understand if we're even interested in Telles, is that he's going to be 28 in a month or two. Why would we prefer to sign a 28 year old who can't dribble effectively, has less recovery pace and is mainly good at crossing from deep to a target man rather than overlapping, than sign a 23 year old with great recovery speed and work rate, who can overlap and deliver a variety of different cross types?

You can say it's the buyback in case Real Madrid decide they want him more than Ferland Mendy. Ok, sure. But we'll still need to replace Telles in 3 years, and he won't really give us what we'd ideally want from the LB. Most of his assists are from set pieces, not open play (from what I've read). Meanwhile I'd put money on Real not buying Reguilon back even if he does very well for Spurs.

It's all immaterial, I hope PSG don't mind us monitoring Telles' move to them.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I said it before, there has to be a reason he is still at Porto, when so many teams need a LB.

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    @Naboomagnoli

Reguilon deal only had downside.

If he fails, we waste €35m.
    If he succeeds, RM takes him.

With Telles, I agree with some of the concerns that you are raising.

At €15-20m, he gives you a
    a. experienced backup for Shaw
    b. good setpiece taker
    c. still scored 4 non-setpiece goals last season

22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    But you were ok with signing him for €30m (leave aside €20m) when I asked you last week

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I still am. Mainly because he's so damn cheap and we need a back up LB.

He can't be worse than Williams.

24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Telles vs Chilwell
    Defensively, Chilwell is slightly better than Telles. Chilwell won more tackles per game (1.6 to Telles’ 1.2), more clearances per game (2 to 1.2) and more headers (2.2 to 1.7).

Meanwhile, Telles had the edge in interceptions (1.5 per game to Chilwell’s 1.1) and in facing advancing opponents (Telles was dribbled past 0.7 times per game on average to Chilwell’s one per game).

Those numbers were not coincidental. Telles provided more crosses per game (2.3 to Chilwell’s 0.7), more key passes per game (2 to 1.2) and had more shots per game (1.4 to 0.6) this season.

Also, to naboo's point, he is a progressive passer instead of a progressive runner

[​IMG]

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #1525 Naboomagnoli, Sep 18, 2020
    I don't think this is accurate. 'If he succeeds' is only one part of the equation. Ferland Mendy would have to require replacing, and Reguilon would have to feel he would be a dead cert to start for them. And, of course, Real Madrid would have to consider his signing important enough in the face of their own issues trying to rebuild, when they need to spend so much across the rest of the pitch.

I don't think Telles is all downside. I just think Telles is no more long term than having the risk of losing Reguilon, except that with Reguilon you actually get 150% of his fee back to spend on the next guy if he does move. Telles is €20m you aren't seeing again. And, in terms of the player we need, I think progressive dribbling and overlapping is what we need, more than progressive passing and deep crossing. That suits Rashford better IMO.

I get that it's a bad look if Real can just come and take your left back and there's nothing you can do to stop it. But if you get past that, it feels like a false economy in a lot of ways. Reguilon might get nabbed by Real. Telles will definitely age.

thenamestsam repped this.