News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    who thinks any deal is actually gonna be done for anyone at all?

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seeing a rejuvenated Matic for a number of games followed by McT/Fred leaves me concerned about a DCM. A fit Matic is our best current answer but not a long-term one owing to age / oft-discussed issues.

This sums it up nicely (esp with Champions League oppo next season);

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This window is starting to worry me.

5. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    it's the same old story of the last few windows.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its been open for days.

And, we just rid ourselves of our worst contract in history.

BLewis1968 repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Surely not over yet of course. This deadline from Dortmund never really made sense to begin with (other than attempt to pressure United into getting a deal completed quickly).

8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    The problem with trying to sign small players is that the tried and tested white sheet method is more effective at keeping our activity under wraps.

20200810_102534.jpg 20200810_102542.jpg

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What is going on there and who are the players?

10. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That hair is giving me felliani flashbacks. :confused:

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    The first player is clearly visible, and if you can't work out the second one I don't know what to say.

These aren't new pics, if that helps?

johno, CybrSlydr, benni... and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People will be seeing things in the tea leaves next!

Ole probably talking with Matic about why there were no bread rolls at breakfast in the hotel :)

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Standard hardline from Dortmund. Woodward needs to pay up though as getting Sancho 'on the cheap' is pretty much out of the question.

14. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Ed window in progress. The tease, the hope, the let down and the overpayment for the player we didn't really want. Nothing to see here.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  15. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    actually ok with woodward's stance on this one. united can't allow selling clubs to fix the price and set the deadline. dortmund will take 100+ mil now or on oct 5th.

EDIT: just reading on twitter dembele and aubameyang both left after dortmund said that they would stay.

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What do you mean we cant allow? We are the desperate ones. There's no amount of mind games and negotiation ploys that will save us.

We are not in any position of strength. They don't need to sell to us. If he stays one more season he can go to another big club. With his contract ending in 22, his price will be lower than now, you assume.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Zorc’s comments, though, are understood to be a bargaining move, with Dortmund and United yet to finalise a fee for Sancho. United want to pay an initial £90m (€100m) over three annual instalments and a further £18m in performance-related add-ons. Dortmund’ valuation is around €20m higher and the German club would prefer a larger lump sum payment."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-will-not-leave-this-summer-manchester-united

No excuses for losing him under those conditions: none. Dortmund are ready to sell this windown. We've also got a free run at him this summer (which we probably won't get in a years' time). United/Woodward need to sort themselves out and make this happen ASAP.

18. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    we can't allow it because they're posturing, simple. dortmund will take the money, they always do.

i also don't believe that getting sancho is the only way for united to get back on top. i'd be ok with united getting coman for literally half the price and keep enough money for a top midfielder. essentially the city way: buy 40-50 mil players at every position.

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  19. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard pass on Coman. That would feel like a very luke warm signing.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund end up selling, that is true but they always get what they want in the process as well. We can go back to Lewa's move to Bayern for proof (and probably before that even).
    Zorc's revelation that Sancho is signed until 2023 changes the variables of the equation quite a bit and most definitely gives them the upper hand now. Agree completely that the deadline set to today was complete BS (and pretty unreasonable), since we're still so early in the window.
    But Zorc's comments today are a clear message to Woodward and United: the price is set, there will be no discounts of any kind. Either pay up or Sancho stays. It's still early but Sancho does not appear to be agitating for a move (Dembele and Auba both did btw, without equivocation), which for now strengthens their position that much more. Things could change if he starts stating publicly he wants to leave or even puts in a transfer request but we're not there yet...
    Bottom line though, Sancho is a player worth the effort/going the extra mile for: he's a generational talent

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I don't know man. They set a price for Dembele and got what they wanted. They set a price for Auba and got it. Pulisic, Mhiki, etc...

They set a fair price for Sancho. Its on us, not them.

I see your point if we have to move on, but ill pass on Coman. The french theo Walcott with a bad injury record.

Imagine going from Sancho to Coman, lol they'll be outside woodys house again.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    They got over 200mil on these two combined.

Screenshot_20200810-120737_Chrome.jpg

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i don't buy that either. the price is set.. for now. there are THREE MONTHS left. i don't think dortmund will walk away from 100 mil because they wanted 120.
    then replace coman with a winger that you like - the point remains. a 60 mil winger and a 60 mil midfielder would be perfectly fine with me.

24. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    and did they get it by their own, made up deadline? i've been really critical of woodward but there's no reason for him to rush to the table right now. dortmund is bluffing and now they have to save face. negotiations will keep going.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There isnt a £60 million winger out there that would make us better. Unless we're getting a huge discount on Dembele from Barca.

Amdrag repped this.