News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Every time I hear his commentary or opinion on something related to United I wish he would just shut the ******** up. I loved him so much as a player but as an analyst he makes a fool of himself almost every time he opens his mouth.

Amdrag, johno, Futbol_Head and 2 others repped this.
  2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Since when is eating a $240 steak and flying private, bad discipline?

Obviously not shooting the messenger here, but its the same racist shit they say about Pogba and his hair, his dancing etc...

4. topnoevili

topnoevili Member

MUFC, Hartford Athletic
    Apr 11, 2006
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Referring to that collection of behavior as a "rap sheet" is some bs.

thenamestsam, Deadtigers, Amdrag and 4 others repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new unfortunately from the British (tabloid) press. The disparity in coverage from the Daily Mail about the young black City player who bought a nice home and Foden doing the same thing, was clear for all to see.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sure there is racism in coverage in uk paps, no argument there.

If missing training and team meetings is true though, then that would be a red flag with someone like Ole who probably has the same standards on that issue as SAF did.

The plane thing I took to be more about leaving the country without informing the club than the mode of travel, which is usually a disciplinary no-no.

The haircut issue was more about breaking lockdown rules. Minor transgression if true.

Some fluff like the steak thing in the story, sure. But a couple of things that should warrant some caution if true.

Would still sign the guy though, just need to make sure we have the usual stuff in the contract and make sure the guy knows what is expected of him as a Man Utd player.

7. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    It’s the subtext.

For comparison, here’s the Daily Star’s most recent article about Jack Grealish.

Anonymous_United and Amdrag repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BLewis1968 repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When you call the most minor of infringements a 'rap sheet' you are basically saying this person deserves to be treated like a criminal. That might seem like a reach, but that's the exact thinking that leads to a 15yo child being sent to jail for not doing all of her homework during the pandemic even though she wasn't any worse than her classmates.

These things get internalized and then people become less than human in the eyes of the beholder.

10. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me another player more loyal to their barber. My man swam across the Channel for a fresh trim.

Deadtigers, Anonymous_United and johno repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fjortoft implying no Grealish?

12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    "Only" means no other signing ..

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps something was lost in translation. Bottom line, I'm not entirely sure I buy that claim and I definitely do not believe Sancho will be our one and only signing of the window.
    The fact that he could be our only high profile one as suggested? It's possible but there surely will be others. The Grealish links started dying when Villa stayed up anyway...

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you're assuming his understanding is absolutely the concrete truth of the situation.

he's just another journalist claiming something. others have claimed we are targeting three signings.

it would not be a surprise if it was only Sancho given the current situation but it wouldn't be the end of the world either. let's wait and see.

it may also be a line fed out to journos to spread to appease the masses given the current financial plight of so many people outside of football

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Maybe money is an issue.

- pandemic
    - Need to sell quite a bit
    - Spending most of the budget on Sancho

MileHighRD repped this.
  16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    No, I didnt assumed him to be a prophet but as Ashur said something is lost in translation. I would be disappointed if we only Sancho but given how we have operated post SAF this wouldnt surprise most of us.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No other big profile, neither Badashile or Gabriel are big profile players.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    After Sancho, 50m or else only players and then we sell lots of dead weight.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #870 Ashur, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020

We've definitely arrived at the gamesmanship part of the negotiations with both clubs using the press to outline their position.
    Woodward is going to end up blinking first, as he tends to do. Why even bother? This is nothing new and the same happened in the Maguire, AWB and Bruno negotiations. Just get on with it already...
    As far as Dortmund are concerned, it's all well and good that they're ready to offer Sancho a new contract, but will he sign on the dotted line? That seems unlikely based on what's been out there. What seems more likely if they force him to stay, is that he'll just run his contract down and Dortmund will be forced to sell next summer. And even if more clubs could be in a position to get him and engineer some type of bidding war, they probably won't get the money they would this summer from United.
    Moves and countermoves: now we see what happens next but of course it never was going to be easy or straightforward...

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we spent more last year. we'll have to wait and see.

i don't know that there was necessarily any translation error as he speaks more or less perfect English. you said only means no other signing which is why i said you assumed. it may be no other main target who knows.

also consider his understanding can just be what he assumes as well. he's not someone considered super close to the club.

let's see what happens

Anonymous_United repped this.
  22. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Sancho has had a new contract offer on the table since last August, what incentive does he have to sign it now?

23. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Keane I think realizes being a heel sells in his current role. And he is bitter af.

Scholes is actually not very intelligent.

He doesn't, outside of Lewa like deal. He gets higher wages but his contract still expires in 2022.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dunc (Castles) also claims that a deal is rumored to be close...

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC