News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't quite understand our fixation with Grealish. He's a good player, but he's a wrung below what we should be targeting. If he was this player but 19-21, I could see it but he's going to cost Ziyech money which is fine, but he's not half the player Ziyech is, even if he's prem proven.

benni... repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that we are still targeting Grealish after we signed Bruno is a bit surprising. However, it does make complete sense if Lingard particularly (and perhaps even AP) end up going this summer.
    The most important thing is that United going after Grealish does not impede in our pursuit of Sancho in the summer (which it really should not, in any way).
    Putting that concern to the side, have absolutely nothing against the player himself: think he pretty underrated and believe that a move to a better club, with better personnel will only make him better (definitely don't feel he's reached his peak yet). Not to mention, mentality wise he'd be a solid addition to the team as well.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People need to realize that Bruno was bought as a Pogba replacement.

JamesA repped this.
  5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like Grealish myself. More than Maddison, especially given hes a more attainable target.

Hes got that fiery, competitive edge to him, like Bruno. You dont ever see him pouting on the field either.

A summer of Grealish, Sancho, a backup 9 and backup 6 would be decent I think. Mostly attainable, except for perhaps Sancho.

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Should we try one of our youth midfielders as backup 6?

7. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd be happy if we got the following,

Sancho-RW
    Grealish-AM
    Partey/Ndidi-DM
    Ben Yedder -ST

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My biggest worry with the summer transfer window is our negotiation and execution capability and financial logistics.

It seemed last summer there were some unrealistic expectations on valuations of outgoing and incoming players. Resulting in a low net spend giving us a thin squad and little cover in key areas.

Hard not to imagine Woody and Judge basing their current summer plans on incompetent/unrealistic expectations of income from Pogba and maybe even Sanchez, DDG, Smalling etc. sales to part-finance some equally unrealistic purchase prices for Sancho, Grealish etc.

You would hope they would be learning from past mistakes, but there has been little evidence they have been.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-2-26_13-50-51.png
    Still very early when it comes to the Sancho sweepstakes, but I still believe that we are very well positioned for Sancho, provided we can secure CL football for next season (if Ole is going to remain the man in charge).
    And even if nothing can be taken for granted when it comes to Woodward and co, but when you factor in the circumstances we are aware of, they look to favor United. The biggest threat domestically imo remains Pool and that is if they lose one of Mane or Salah this summer, which could very well happen.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bruno has been here for five minutes, he came from a small league. can't really compare him to most players in our squad. Still, I've seen him waiving around, demonstrably upset after not getting the ball. But I guess people like that.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i wonder how much the Bruno transfer affects the summer warchest.

hopefully not but it was almost our entire net spend for the last two seasons so...

12. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    disagree there. i think grealish is exactly what united needs: a true ball carrier from midfield, always showing for the ball. i feel strongly about him becoming a star once he starts playing with actual footballers. maddison is the one i would stay away from, bit of a passenger at times.

13. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Pogba is leaving, buying another AM makes sense unless Gomes is ready to step up.

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Gomes was ready to step up, he would have been knocking on the door harder this year. Just my take.

His talent is obvious. I had such high hopes back in August and really thought he'd surprised this campaign.

But, something just isn't clicking for him here in the seniors I think.

I'm sort of lost hope now for both him and Chong.

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Where does Grealish fit in that XI?

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Grealish doesn't do enough in terms of creation or scoring and he's the very definition of a tweener. He's not a winger, not a 10, not an 8. Useful player, but the kind of price he'd go for, we could land a better player who is younger and use the rest for a player that makes our team better.

Put this way, if Bruno is our 10, Rashford our winger and Martial our 9, is Grealish really an improvement for us on the right?

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm working under the assumption Pogba is gone.

In that case, I see him as an option with McT, new backup 6, Fred, Bruno, Grealish as our main midfield grouping. Then, the kids after that.

Then up top, a grouping of Martial, Rash, hopefully Sancho, James, Ighalo/a new backup 9, Mata and Greenwood.

I think Lingard and Perreira might be gone.

18. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    the fact that we've been heavily linked with grealish and maddison makes me think ole wants to play a 3-man midfield - none of these guys can play in a double pivot.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Ashur, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020

Bottom line is that Sancho is the one who will decide where he goes next (based on who comes for him obviously). What Dortmund will be in control of is how much they get for him.
    And for all we know, he might have already made up his mind (or is close to it at least), but I doubt anyone outside of his circle can claim to know with any certitude where he will headed this summer.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-3-2_7-34-10.png
    The report is also claiming that United appear the only club interested in him ready to meet his contract demands at this time

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I still don’t think we get Sancho unless he’s dead set on returning to England. But if there’s a chance, Woody and them should be doing the work now and try to get shit done before the summer window opens so all that’s left to do when the window opens is sign the contract. If he blows up even more at the Euros then it’s over.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Couple of questions for everyone that I've been thinking about...

1. Is anyone worried about Martial being our starting 9 going forward? I'm a huge fan of his talent but I just dont think he is best as a lone 9. He doesnt make enough of the right runs in the box. So many times we have the ball wide his hanging out at the top of the box and not making #9 type of runs.

2. Hypothetically say Pogba leaves and we bring in Grealish and Sancho as the only major starting pieces this summer. How much does that improve us and can a midfield 3 of Bruno, Grealish, and McT/Fred work?

thenamestsam repped this.
  24. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are those questions independent of each other?

If we have a more engaged 9 I am fine with that midfield.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, two separate thoughts.

The Martial thing I’ve been kicking around for a while. I think he has tons of talent he’s just not built to lead the line in a lone 9 setup unless the front 3 are really fluid. And maybe that is the case if we get Sancho.

The Grealish and Sancho thing is based on obvious leaks being reported lately.

thenamestsam repped this.