The REAL opening day of WWC '03 [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    24,347 at Lincoln Financial Field saw France hang tough against the defending Olympic champions from Norway (scoreless at halftime), but goals by Anita Rapp just 2 minutes into the 2nd frame and Dagny Mellgren about 20 minutes later sealed Les Bleues' fate. Pichon tried; Lord, how she did, but some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. :(

The second match was more entertaining as North Korea dismantled the Super Eagles of Nigeria 3-0, which continues the streak of teams named the Eagles losing at the Linc :p :|

France was the home team, obviously, and a terrific turnout by Charge fans. LOTS of Pichon banners and signs. They really need to win vs. South Korea at RFK to have any chance of making the Brazil game a week from tomorrow mean something.

North Koreans were warmly welcomed here; it's nice to know that even if their government is a collection of richard-heads, Philadelphia sports fans are willing to put aside their politics. Koreans of both north and south closed ranks today in the stands. It was refreshing to hear 'Dae Han Min Guk' (boom boom boom boom boom); they were LOUD, but we have a good-sized Korean population here, so maybe that wasn't a surprise. Nigeria is awful, IMO. Five players were stretchered off; three for leg cramps, a couple after collisions going for 50-50 balls. Four yellows. Omagbemi didn't last through the first half, being subbed out. Didn't know why.

Should have been about 5-0, actually. Nonetheless, the PRK'ers established themselves as a significant speed bump and I believe will get into the quarters. I'm still not sold on Sverige; maybe that will change tomorrow.

Nice opening ceremony. RFK will beat us, crowd-wise tomorrow (30,000 at last count), but we'll have a chance to outdo them Thursday. Well worth it.

Paul

2. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Mad props to the Norway and especially Korea and Nigeria fans. I spent a good amount of time with each of the latter two in the second game and they turned a pretty one-sided game into some real entertainment. Great drums, which really got the decibel level up.

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    And I was remiss in thanking you, along with two of the enemy from DC :p for the impromptu interview in-between the doubleheader. It was a most nice day (I wound up getting Paige Davis' autograph at the Franklin Institute; she's the host of TLC's Trading Spaces and that's become my favorite non-fiction TV show)

Paul

4. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Paige by Paige. I saw her listed for the suburbs. O, well. My sister knows Amy Wynn. Better.

"North Koreans were warmly welcomed here; it's nice to know that even if their government is a collection of richard-heads,"

If the Koreans spoke French, they would say "touche". Or Ditto.

Great atmosphere. I heard the Korean chant. Saw the unification banner. Bravi to them.

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    You're not gonna believe this....

Comcast SportsNet Philly on its 10PM sports update, just put up this graphic:

France 2
    Norway 0

:eek:

Paul

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    She was, actually. After the 10AM booksigning at the Franklin Institute (which actually began 10 minutes EARLIER as she arrived about 20 before 10), she would be at a Trading Spaces taping in Levittown.

Paul

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I meant I saw her listed for some suburban bookstores. Why not the Borders in Bryn Mawr is it? It's on Lancaster. Not far from Villanova.