The Razing of Falljua begins

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnnyCash, Nov 5, 2004.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
  2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been gearing up for it for a few weeks now, what they're going to do takes time and careful planning. This isn't something they want to just decide to do at 6 am and start at 9 am. We've f'd up enough planning as it is, let's get this one right.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's possibe but you have to remember, no matter what side you're on...

When lots of dead American soldiers start coming out the battle it certainly wouldn't help.

I think that's all he might be suggesting.

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Body bags dont' help a president, no matter what party

6. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

But as this election proved, they don't necessarily hurt, either.

7. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the folks that are there, they've been getting "razed," continuously for months now, without pause. This may be an intensification thereof, but what was happening before was certainly no walk in the park. Well, maybe Central Park.

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    We can't win this war.

If we lose militarily again, well, obviously, we've lost.

If we level Fallujah, we've pretty much done everything except send out AQ membership cards to everyone between Rabat and Jakarta.

And weren't we supposed to be liberating these people, not slaughtering them?

9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    An actual exchange in my daughter's history class, when they were debating the Iraqi war and its effect on the election:

PRO-BUSH GIRL: "I don't understand why the Iraqis don't appreciate our efforts to help them."

MY DAUGHTER: "Helpl them? We are at war! We invaded their country and we are killing them!"

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dante...what, they've been planning this since we ran away in May, and by the biggest freakin' coincidence ever, it took till 3 days after the election to get everything into place?

That's gotta be the most naive thing I've ever seen posted here.

That'll be their first response.

When we start losing 25 soldiers a week--and we will--that tune's gonna change.

11. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    They've been getting 20-30 casualties a day and they're expecting that to double on bad days.

not sure though if these are coalition casualties or iraqi casualties combined.

12. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do they expect Sunni participation in an election after this massacre? It'll be illegitimate.

Bush's war is a failure. Yet I suppose a moral victory for the Red Staters.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah but they don't let us see the body bags or the flag-draped coffins. By keeping death abstract, they keep the sheeple placid and calm.

14. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's relatively simple in concept.

You destroy the 5000 insurgents while keeping civilian casualties to a minimum.

Iraqi security forces patrol and maintain order in the city while the 200,000 displaced residents come home.

Set up polls at the end of January.

Barb, I think the American public is well aware of the casualties we've suffered in Iraq. Put please do continue to refer to them as 'sheeple'.
    Let the people vote.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    PRO-BUSH GIRL'S DAD: "I don't understand why the Iraqis don't appreciate our efforts to help them."

ROEL: "Helpl them? We are at war! We invaded their country and we are killing them

16. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PROFFESOR/MODERATE/REASONABLE Person:

"Well. The truth is somewhere in between. Most Iraqis are greatful toward the Americans for liberating them, but naturally resent all the destruction and disruption of their lives. They're looking forward to elections in January and having the Americans leave as soon as possible."

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DAUGHTER OF TWIT: Daddy, if we just went there to kill Iraqis, why don't we shoot the ones who don't shoot back? Wouldn't that be safer.

TWIT: NAZI COW!!!!!!

18. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    None of this is funny.

So why am I laughing out loud?

19. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dear Stopper,

Hell yeah, baby!

Love,
    Israel

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    As my dad, a former Marine said: "The Marines aren't good occupation, they are good at killing". I have no doubt that they will complete their mission, the only question is if it will have been worth it.

21. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is a delicate, almost naive, simplicity to the political consciousness of 16 year olds. Both kids showed their simplicity and cut to the chase. I thought it was a very telling exchange.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You forgot the part about the roses. ;)

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In April and May of this year when things went all to hell in Falluja the first time around the body count on our side soared and Bush's numbers in the polls went south.

The solution? Evacuate the premises, hand over "responsibility" to the ill-equiped, ill-trained Iraqi police or whatever they were at the time, and basically wash our hands of the place.

The result? That big stupid idea began biting us right in the butt from day one. The city has obviously been one big arse think tank for the insurgeny and now, suddenly, what do we have?

A war that officially never ended, just as soon as we invade Falluja. I hope to God it won't happen, but I fear a bloodbath as the "enemy" has had all year to prepare for this moment. Something tells me the bombardment from the air to "prepare" the battlefield isn't doing jack diddley squat, if it were we wouldn't be in this trouble as we've been bombing the city all year. Nope, this is gonna get ugly, fast. At least the likelyhood of that is extremely high.

We're gonna take this one on the chin.

24. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't they smell like............................victory?

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that the Marines will take the city. But that's the only part I've got no doubts about.