The Rapids are doing it right...

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by FCDallas96, Nov 19, 2004.

1. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. The Rapids are a mess and they need someone with professional soccer experience to help sort themselves out.

3. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Sounds like they are on the right track.

4. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way they have a GM for business only and left the player side of the GM business to a former professional. It's about time we start to utilize the retired talent who have played at the highest levels of the game.

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plse. excuse my "soccer dumb guy" qustion but What is the difference between a Technical Director and a Head Coach? In Spanish there is no term for head coach but rather Technical Director.

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Nothing against Marcelo Balboa--he may turn out to be a great hire. But Dan Counce already had a lot of experience--it's not as if he was a novice to the game.

2. DCU hired a technical director 3 years ago--Dave Kasper. The role at DCU is sort of the NFL equivalent of Director of Player Personnel: scout, talk and facilitate trades, and provide a second perspective (besides the coach's) to the GM or President.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was an experienced moron.

8. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Ouch.

9. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    sometimes the truth hurts

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't understand why so many people have such a high opinion of Balboa. He obviously is has little to no class....witness the way he treated the Metros organization. We gave him a great opportunity to play, and help a struggling team in the most important American market, and yet the guy decided to pack it in, and go through the motions. Gutless action, and shows he has little to no values or ethics. Not sure if that's the type of person I want as my technical director.

11. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    On the HDNet telecasts he constantly chastises players for not making the profesional foul. Rapids soccer should be wonderful to behold in the future.

12. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    IIRC Balboa got injured in preseason and wasn't able to play except for about 5 minutes at the end of the year. Can't blame a guy for getting hurt.

13. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    The main point I think is that he has been involved with the league from day one, knows the game, and you would think the market. Just like Lalas he can help the league becaue he understands how the sport works in this country.

14. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please. He was injured. But your clueless GM still gave away one of your best players for him.

Marcel Balboa doesn't need any lessons in "class" from the Metros organization.