The [R] Rule

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    None taken. Did you take our survey? Lots of hints in there :)

Do you want BigSoccer to add news and scores?
    Yes 65.6% No 34.4%

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Just to clarify:
    I assume you mean NEW not no.
    I assume that's page? Also, what do you mean by "nominal votes"?

I'll comment on the rest later, but I wanted to get these clarifications first.

3. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    New not no.
    %age = percentage, not page
    Nominal means that while 67% sounds impressive, 93 votes sounds less impressive considering the amount of traffic here (that's why I refer to a vocal minority). Think of Michael Moore - huss be careful here - in his guns movie he talked about the deaths by guns in nominal terms but never in %age terms. So yeah, gun deaths are scary and they are really scary when canada has, what 3 and the us has 5000 or whatever, but as a percentage of population 3 and 5000 are a lot closer than they appear - its an example in reverse of what i'm saying.

4. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe I did, but it's been sometime.
    Sure, a news and scores page would be good but I wouldn't want it if it meant the [r] went away. What means the most to me is the community here, that is what make BS different than other sites that are news driven. I can't get this anywhere else, really.

I do commend you guys for not being myopic. It's important to look beyond what you are currently doing to see if there is a unmet need that you can fulfill.

I'll look at the survey again. Thanks.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh how the English language suffers ...

6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We will not sacrifice the community to grow. IT can be done with and without R thus the discussion.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Of course we don't know it's a minority correct? I mean the % very well could reflect the sentiments of the site as a whole. If 78 or 68% of users start avoiding the site because they want to be sure to not see a score, that could hurt BigSoccer.

Obviously, they won't all avoid it at once, but since it seems we are talking about having live scores displayed automatically then that's a lot different than just removing the rule because most people will probably still follow it anyway when starting threads. I could be wrong, but it sounds like what you are proposing is that people will know they are guaranteed to see the scores.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on forum?? Bad idea. Keep in mind, the thread title would appear on BS Live.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep it going, enforce it and ditch the newbots.

10. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    not if on your ignore list, IIRC

11. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    This is what I said in the Star Chamber:

Again in the end I just don't care, because if the game means something to me I'm not coming here, checking my E-mail, etc. I think most other soccernutjobs are the same way.

For the record the Supermod discussion was not heated. It was violent with warm and fuzzy overtones.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like somebody went wookie.

13. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was me ;)

I could care less - I do avoid the web if I taped a game - nevermind Big Soccer, but I have got away with coming here for MLS news while taping Chelsea so the [R] does work

The bots have killed people in the past....maybe a front door on the site to news - store - boards - blogs -

One extra clickeroo

I mentioned this before.....

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    IIRC, the [R] Rule is an anachronism that came to BigSoccer via the old rec.sports.soccer usenet group and various soccer listservs.

It made sense then because there weren't that many games on live tv. Today there's a lot more soccer on the tube, and the sport itself is much more popular. The way I look at it is that anyone who has taped something and doesn't want to know the result should turn off the radio, not watch the news and not log on to any sports and/or news sites online to avoid results. BigSoccer is just one of many places were results can be found.

The [R] Rule needs to go.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'll be outvoted, but I agree with Mike.

In a society where you can get the score of a game on the ticker while they are showing highlights that are supposedly building up to the finish, I have little sympathy for people who find out a soccer score while on a Web site devoted to soccer.

Maybe it can exist as a courtesy, but a hard and fast rule just seems silly to me.

16. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    if it's complete, the r is obsolete

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you explain the downside of having the [R] rule? I just don't see what it hurts and it seems clear that some people, like myself, find it very helpful to know that we can check a particular thread or even an entire board and have a good shot at not seeing every score from that day. Mike is right about there being more live football on television. However there are still plenty of same day delayed games shown here each weekend. Even the CL is going to be broadcast on delay for the next matchday. So its not just a handful of people taping games.

I also notice that both monster and Mike list DCU and no foreign footbal clubs. So maybe you don't have to deal with the issue of delayed broadcasts as much as some of us who are more interested in european football?

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Not to mention the increasing numbers of people using TIVO.

19. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

downside?

let's see

geekiness, unacceptance, hiding, crying, unwillingness to accept more fans, wanting to stay a niche sport, dorkiness, the game is over... move on, reality, actuality

it's news, it's fair game... ******** everything else... but please, please put an [r] when discussing the '04 world series... i'm waiting for the dvds to be mailed to me

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think the [R] rule is both obsolete and unenforceable.

It's an anachronism from an earlier time. If you don't want something spoiled, stay off the InterWeb, don't answer your phone, and don't read the paper.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Lighten up? This is what I mean by "unenforceable."

Why have a "no spoilers" rule if there's no social or administrative penalties?

If there is a "no spoiler" rule, then they really do need to start handing out yellow cards to keep folks from starting such threads. Of course, the worst folks are those that drop spoilers into existing threads.

But the whole "lighten up" attitude, in my opinion, is just wrong in this case. I think it's time for the [R] to be retired - because I don't think it's enforceable. But as long as the rule exists, I follow it. Putting scorn and cards on the folks who don't follow the rule should be accepted practice.

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well crap on a shingle, Huss, if you didn't want to answer my perfectly legit question about the new "poll" on the front page, then fine: don't answer.

Chickening out by deleting the post is pretty cheezy, man. Sort of makes me suspect that my guess was right.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main reason this is such a self-perpetuating controversy is not that the no-spoiler rule is somehow unenforceable. That's nonsense. It's perfectly easy to enforce. You just delete the offending thread title or post and deliver the warning (or more, if warranted by the evidence). It's ridiculous to equate "enforcement" with "absolute suppression". That doesn't happen in the real world so there's no reason at all to expect it to happen in an internet community like this one. This "problem" persists as a problem because people like to argue about it.

I realize that pitching hissy fits is one of the most frequently indulged pleasures of the internet but this particular version of it seems so far beyond the realm of common sense that I'm comfortable in suggesting we all might be better off with a little less of it. It's hard for me to imagine how heaping scorn on somebody who's accidently broken a rule--and the vast majority of spoilers are unintentional--is going to do anything remotely useful.

There's a certain amount of good to be derived from the no spoiler rule inasmuch as it makes the site more useable. It allows users who are concerned about a heightened degree of safety when they are reading posts while trying to avoid seeing a game score. Unfortunately, that degree of safety is limited--by human nature, basically. However, that's no more a justifiable rationale for throwing out the rule than the persistence of jaywalking in the real world is a reason for eliminating crosswalks.

As far as I can tell, the best reason for eliminating the no spoiler rule has nothing to do with substance of the rule itself. It's that the main proponents of the rule get so damned pissy about each infraction they manage to generate a constant, low grade nuisance.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I just don't see why a sporting event is so much different than a movie or a tv show or whatever. You won't see a "Soylent Green is People!" thread on a TV/movie message board - it's just not that difficult to observe this etiquette.

And I don't get why you aren't at least vaguely sympathetic to a different point of view - it's fine that you don't have tivo or care about these issues, but why not at least understand that some of us don't want to know that a Yank is going to score a game winning goal in the 90th minute in advance.

And this thing you have with geekiness and niche sport is not everyone's hang-up.

Maybe I'm not reading the right forums, but I just don't see that much whining about violations.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What about the constant, low grade nuisance of spoilers that do exist today?

Seriously. There are moderators. They are doing what they can, and yet the spoilers continue. I don't see how following the rules is such a hard problem for some posters. The fact is that for every newbie spoiler mistake, there are probably 10 by posters who know full well what they're doing.