The Questionable Offspring of MLS Rumors Superthread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Dec 25, 2007.

1. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    I think the idea is that he would be near the bottom of the depth chart, but that he wants to move to America for the quality of life and to continue his career as a doctor. Am I right in thinking Doctors in America get paid more than over here? Brain drain they call it

2. kjtuckley

kjtuckley New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    "The Good Doctor" as the legend Jeff Stelling called him was a goal machine at Gretna when they were coming up the lower leagues, and after going back to Gretna he has banged in a couple goals in the SPL. I have never seen him play, but until this season, I had always used Gretna as a banker in the accumulator bet and used to get excited when the doc scored.

This could be a pretty interesting signing if it comes off, he is still in his 20's (Unlike an awful pole now plying his trade in Chicago). This could be a little bit of a gamble as he is probably earning decent money as Gretna have a rich benefactor right now, but has had his issues with the club, but would probably still cost a decent chunk of change to bring him over. But if he supplements that with working as a doctor (as he still does), that is irrelevant as the insurance companies pay more than the NHS does!

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, then how come Toronto is trading him? He's certainly a franchise type player, but he wants out.

Telling you the truth and you not wanting to accept it doesn't classify me as a troll.

4. DigzTFC

DigzTFC Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Halifax
    Fair enough,hahaha. I lost track of where I responded to this. I thought I was in the TFC thread. You caught me red handed. As for him not wanting to be here, the reports are that his knee would be better served on natural grass. I like ROB and reacted to the unfortunate timing of your post, but I he's told fans and media he liked it here and thats all I can base my opinion off of, just as you have formulated you own.

http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/

Here's a link off the updated version of the trade. GolTV and this site are confirming the trade. Good luck in the season, but if you want ROB most likely you'll need natural grass in your stadium

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A foreign trained Doctor, even if trained in the fine systems in Scotland and England have some very difficult hoops to jump through before they can get a License. It's not like bringing in a computer programer or an engineer. Medicine in the US is a very much more restricted access system.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I thought they just have to take a test?

If English is their first language I thought it's not that big of a deal.

7. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Deuchar: Go to the chemist, pick up some plasters and you'll be right.
    Mormon with a scrape: What?

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    touche! :D

9. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
  10. DigzTFC

DigzTFC Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Halifax
    RSL & Rapids Fans:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23286680-10389,00.html

Real Salt Lake has pulled out of the race to sign Queensland Roar striker Reinaldo, but fellow Major League Soccer club Colorado remains intent on luring the lanky Brazilian to America.

With Colorado unwilling to give up its "discovery rights" on Reinaldo, Real Salt Lake will no longer pursue the 23-year-old forward.

Under MLS regulations, Colorado always had the first shot at signing Reinaldo after beating its rivals to the punch by listing him as a potential "discovery" signing.

Colorado is hoping to unload two players from its roster in a bid to fit Reinaldo under the club's salary cap.

With Reinaldo's future uncertain and fellow forward Simon Lynch tipped to leave the Roar for Gold Coast Galaxy, Queensland coach Frank Farina has bolstered his attacking options by signing 21-year-old Tim Smits on a two-year deal.

This is an article from today, in which we saw Deuchar's move to RSL and Nico Hernandez to the Crew. I think its looking pretty good for Rapids fans when all this takes place and the A-League side signs a replacement. Pure speculation though. Also, who is the second player to leave?

11. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/02/meantime_in_dallas_er_frisco.html

Goff reporting that the Dallas is close to the long-rumored signing of 29 year old Chilean forward Reinaldo Navia (Racing Club - Argentina) and that Roberto Mina may be heading out of Dallas (in addition to a few non-MLS potential suitrs, Goff speculates that Colorado may be an MLS destination for Mina given the salary cap clearing trade of Nico Hernandez earlier today and the Rapids need for forwards).

12. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Colorado is near the cap limit with that roster? Yuck.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    From Zero "Reinaldo's" to possibly two.

Interesting.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    In case anyone was interested:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician#Regulation
    This guy Kenny has a nice little story. I hope he does well.

15. DigzTFC

DigzTFC Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Halifax
    Ronnie O'Brien Rumor:

From Red Patch Boy sources wrote:
    I just got in from work, and don't have time to search to find a confirmation in another thread, so if you already know, bully for you.

I have no link to back this up, but there are several out there who know that my info is good when I get it.

It was confirmed to me today that Ronnie is indeed going to San Jose. There is no player coming in return. It's allocation money & a first round pick.

The reasons for the move are apparently twofold, and they were predicted here this week.
    1. He was no longer happy here.
    2. There is concern about his knee, and the turf.

Don't expect any news of a signing either. At least not this week.

Looks like that Revs fan was right. Don't know what is wrong with this guy

16. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope ESPN does a "famous people whose name ends in 'aldo'" for the first game of the season. That famous freds thing was the stuff of genius. Even better than "who's more now."

17. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Blumer on trial with DC?

http://www.gcz.ch/index.php?id=319&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2554

Article says that the 22 year old wants to take a chance on moving his career overseas. He will accept an invitation for trial with DC in the next few days which is why Grasshopper Zürich has decided to sign a Striker from Young Boys Bern until the end of the season.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballouchy - 70k
    Casey - 180k
    Erpen - 115k
    Petke - 126k
    Peterson - 70k
    Prideaux - 76k

Plus Cooke over 100k and Pablo near league max. I still don't think we're that close to the cap, but yeah, we're overpaying for a lot of players. On that list only Pablo, Cooke, and Petke are really earning their money.

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No written rumors but

Martino, Harmse and Gray have all be sent home from the pre season tournaments. They have to injuries so it looks like they may be traded.

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Not to mention Gomez, at likely 350k, and Kirovski at 200k.

21. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'd waive that crap in a shot.

Still, he's good at penalties, hey!

22. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    hopefully for RSL they this Indra fellow is good enough to play in MLS, but desperate enough to play here that he'll accept a low-ball offer. 200k for Kivorski, 180k for Casey?

Ouch....

Still, I like that RSL and Colorado are showing ambition, it's a good sign for the league. Let's just hope Colorado aren't good enough that Clavijo somehow manages to save his job...

I'm interested as to what TFC has cooking, it's gotta be something to make this move, even if ROB wanted out. One of the articles about the trade mentioned that Mo was balking at Kiki Musampa's contract demands, but he's looked good in preseason. I'm hoping he signs there, I think it's all part of the negotiations. They need to get some permanent signings in quick so they don't start the season unfamiliar with eachother.

They should go after that Canadian striker in CCC, can't member his name, throw low DP money at the dude, it's not like TFC need a gate draw...

23. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    He is. He has scored a bunch of goals off the bench.

he wont. He can make more at home in the S-League. He's a Singapore National Team striker. RSL would be lucky to have him so they better sign him ASAP.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, duh. I think Gomez was signed to the non-DP max, whatever that is.

(See what happens when you do a post and run? You forget the obvious)