The QPR Transfer News/Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this article, Richard Pacquette has returned from Mansfield at the end of his loan.

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...STORY_NAME=soccer/04/03/09/manual_190637.html

Nothing about it on the official site, yet.

And, in other obvious transfer news, an as yet unnamed goalkeeper will be in the nets for Rangers this weekend. The official site notes we're looking for an experienced keeper and we're in talks with a Premiership club, but Olly and the scouts are still out looking.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~498580,00.html

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28-year-old Brazilian Adriano Basso started in goal for Rangers in a reserve friendly at Brentford.

Returning from his loan to Mansfield, Richard Pacquette scored two goals and Marcus Bean played 70 minutes, but Rangers gave up a two-goal lead for a 3-3 draw. Two of the Brentford goals were penalties, so only one goal given up by the SuperHoops in the run of play.

Match result:
    http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~498964,00.html

More on Adriano:
    http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~498806,00.html

The QPR website doesn't mention his history, but he seems to be a former player for Atletico Paranaense in Brazil, although he doesn't appear among their four keepers currently in the squad.

http://www.atleticopr.com.br/clube/jogprofissional.htm

Before Atletico PR, he played for Ponte Preta.

http://www.soccerage.com/en/04/21140.html

He seems to be listed as Basso Adriano or just Adriano in different places.

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And the winner of the R's keeper sweepstakes is...

Lee Camp from Derby County
    http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~499629,00.html

In other news, winger Eric Sabin looks to be leaving following a successful loan spell with Boston United. Official site claims Boston and Northampton want to sign him.

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and that move has been completed. Eric Sabin has moved to Northampton Town on a free transfer. Probably a smart move for Rangers -- with the addition of Cureton, return of Ainsworth, etc., he simply wasn't going to play, so we might as well take his salary off the books. Good luck, Eric.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~499961,00.html

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm late with this news...

Arsenal keeper Craig Holloway featured in a reserve match last week for Rangers. He's 19 years old and set to leave Arsenal in search of first-team action. With Camp doing OK and Day returning to action, I guess we may not be in the market anymore.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/3519128.stm

10. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus Bignot returns to Rangers, having signed a deal through the end of next season just before today's transfer deadline. There is no mention of a fee in any of the stories, so he seems to have come on a free transfer (R&D seems to be cutting payroll, having also let Onandi Lowe go to Coventry City, Paul Hall to Tranmere, and Paul Underwood to Luton, all on frees here at the deadline).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/3568871.stm
    http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~505559,00.html

I saw Bignot score on either a brilliant shot or an errant pass against Bury in our first year in Division Two. Welcome back, Marcus.

12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just a quick news note on the Bristol City game for you guys back home. It will be broadcast over the Net (free of charge) on both QPR World and BBC London.

www.qpr.co.uk
    www.bbc.co.uk/london

Enjoy our biggest match of the season!

13. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just handed out some rep loving to my BS QPR mates. You get another green thing at 100 points by the way, if you care.

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Cheers Art

Off to Brizzle in...well, a few hours from now - up way too late working. Will give a shout for all the Stateside R's on saturday. As always, look for me flipping out after a goal on Sky Sports News.

15. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Re: OT

Personally, that was my glory side.
    I was 13 or 14 and we had a great side. And multiple members of the England side - ok it was the worst England side in living memory but nevertheless....
    A few notable names.
    Jan Stejskal - Czech national GK (bought him after 1990WC)
    David Bardsley (actually managed to get an England call up)
    Clive Wilson (went on to Spurs)
    Darren Peacock (on to Newcastle Utd)
    Ian McDonald (carthorse)
    Andy Sinton (England call up)
    And the one...the only...Sir Leslie. (England call up, then off to Newc/Spurs? for £6m, not bad mark up on the £15k we paid for him)

And does anyone remember (from a slightly later season) - Devon White? 9ft tall and utterly useless.
    The greatest moment was at a Blackburn - R's match (in Blackburn). We were down 1-0. When, on the edge of the Blackburn penaly area Devon clearly punched the ball - the ref gave a freekick on the edge of the box...to Rangers! It was taken and we scored from it. And in the same game one supporter made the mistake of making money gestures to Devon - this was caught on camera and he was banned for life. A big thing was made of that over here.

Ahh, great days.

16. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The move's been finalized -- Kenny Jackett has left Rangers for the head job at Swansea City. Kenny got a deal through 05/06.

Here's the official release from Swansea:
    http://www.swanseacity.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10354~509747,00.html

Congrats to him and many thanks for his efforts at Loftus Road.

Of course, people are trying to get clever with his last name:

"Jackett puts on Swansea manager's coat":
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp?j=99851698&p=9985z4x4&t=soccer

...and "Jackett on for Swans":
    http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2741574

17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In another whisper that is bound to excite London's Italian community, Benito Carbone could be on his way from Parma to QPR. The Italian football agent Gianni Paladini, who is keen to buy a stake in promotion-chasing Rangers, explains: "Benni is only 32 and QPR have a good history of playmakers over the years." Eh?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/rumourmill/

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't he some what of a head case. Didn't he have problems at both Wednesday and I think Bradford City. I'm not sure if this is such a good idea. :eek:

20. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Carbone's the one that crippled Bradford isn't he?
    Well they were stupid enough to pay his £30k a week slary so it's their fault but he better have lowered his money expectations before coming here.

21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    While I'm certainly no expert on the financial side of things and usually steer clear of following them - this Paladini situation sounds very dodgy. Biggest warning sign coming from Port Vale - who Paladini tried to buy a stake in earlier this season. Vale supporters do not have many flattering comments about Paladini - no verification of his football playing past (Juve and Italy...?), using a story about his son being a "supporter" (which he's using again with us). Plus, he's an agent, which is just about enough reason to brand him a scumbag.

This is all very sketchy - hopefully his influence (and potential damage) would be too significant.

22. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the big transfer season is upon us again as the R's face the task of consolidating our position in Division One. Ian Holloway and 14 Rangers players are out of contract, according to the official site.

In going back through this thread and checking elsewhere on the internet, I've tried to figure out who is signed for next year and who is not. Please let me know if there are any errors, but here's what I've come up with:

Under contract for 2004/05:

Martin Rowlands -- signed two-year deal before 03/04 season
    Gino Padula -- ditto
    Gareth Ainsworth -- ditto
    Chris Day -- ditto
    Kevin Gallen -- signed extension through 04/05
    Dan Shittu -- signed extension in November that was one year if we didn't get promoted and two if we did, so Big Dan should now be under contract through 05/06
    Marcus Bean -- agreed to having club take up two-year option before 03/04 season
    Tony Thorpe -- signed two-year deal when transferred from Luton early in 03/04 season
    Jamie Cureton -- signed a year-and-a-half deal in January, so is signed through 04/05
    Arthur Gnohere -- signed a two-and-a-half-year deal in February, so should be under contract with Rangers through 05/06
    Marcus Bignot -- signed through end of 04/05 on transfer deadline day
    Kevin McLeod -- early-season transfer from Everton saw him sign through 04/05
    Nick Culkin -- signed three-year contract before 02/03 season
    Wes Daly -- same as Bean, except club appears to have no interest in retaining Daly; on loan to Grays with transfer or release likely

Out of contract:

Ian Holloway -- our promotion-winning manager is out of contract -- Holloway says he'd like to stay
    Marc Bircham -- signed two-year deal before 02/03
    Paul Furlong -- signed through 03/04 when came to the R's in 9/02
    Clarke Carlisle -- I'm 99.9% sure he's out of contract
    Richard Edghill -- came on board during season and was signed through the end of season
    Richard Johnson -- signed three-month deal in February, so is out of contract
    Matthew Rose -- contract runs out in 03/04
    Steve Palmer -- signed one-year deal before 03/04 season
    Richard Pacquette -- ditto

Loan ended:

Lee Camp -- his loan from Derby County went through the end of the season

Unknown status:

Terrell Forbes -- not sure about his contract status nor of his legal status
    Dennis Oli -- couldn't find anything about the status of this youngster
    Ben Walshe -- ditto

So, when they say 14 players are out of contract, I think that includes some of the youth/reserves who haven't seen any first-team action. I count nine to twelve, depending on Forbes, Oli, and Walshe. So, some of Marien Ifura, Jake Cole, Ryan Johnson, John Fletcher, etc., from the reserves may also be out of contract.

With guys currently under contract for 04/05, you could field this team:

--------Gallen----Thorpe/Cureton------
    McLeod---Rowlands--Bean---Ainsworth
    Padula----Gnohere----Shittu----Bignot
    -----------------Day----------------
    Bench: Culkin, Thorpe/Cureton, ?, ?, ?

While that squad looks pretty good, it's important to note that among the unsigned are seven players that started the final three weeks of the season: Bircham, Furlong, Carlisle, Rose, Johnson, Edghill, and Camp. Among the guys who started on Saturday, only Padula, Gallen, Rowlands, and Ainsworth are signed.

23. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Evening Standard reports Ian Holloway and at least six out-of-contract players will be offered new contracts.

The story quotes David Davies as saying, "I hope a deal with Ian can be done in the next few weeks and we can begin planning for next season. The players will want to be away by the end of May and we'll try to sort out new contracts as soon as possible."

Further, it states that Marc Bircham, Paul Furlong, Clarke Carlisle, and Richard Johnson "are certain to be offered new deals," and Matthew Rose and Richard Edghill "may also be retained."

Kevin Gallen and Martin Rowlands, both currently under contract through next season, are likely to be offered "improved contracts" it is reported.

The story indicates that Rangers will make "over £1million from promotion" and also have the recent investment from Gianni Paladini with which we'll be looking to recruit four or five new players.

24. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a story in The Guardian, Marc Bircham says the R's need to re-sign Ian Holloway:

25. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential good news -- a BBC story reports:

Clarke Carlisle wants to remain with the club. Clarke says, "I'd love to stay. I believe the club is on the up and I want to be a part of it."

Marc Bircham believes he'll stay, saying "I think this means I can stay - I really hope so. I'd have been happy to stay whatever division we were in but if we hadn't gone up, I personally doubt it would have happened."

Possibly of the most importance, the story also reports of Ian Holloway that he "is expected to sign a new contract this week."