The QPR Transfer News/Rumours Thread III: 05/06

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, May 18, 2005.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 05/06 news has started to come in -- bring on the new season!

The BBC says QPR would be interested in reacquiring Richard Langley... for the right price. Ian Holloway is quoted as saying "Cardiff are paying him double what we were and I can't meet those wages."

QPR Chief Executive Mark Devlin says QPR contacted Scunthorpe about defender Andy Butler, but have not made an offer. He denied reports of a £300,000 offer, saying no fee was discussed or offered, but that Scunthorpe gave an opinion of their view of his value.

Ian Holloway says a report on the Bristol City website that QPR are joining them in bidding for Sunderland striker Marcus Stewart is "utter nonsense." Olly says that so far as he knows, the player is going to Bristol City. "We are looking at a number of players but he isn't one of them."

2. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon Royce will sign a two-year deal with QPR upon expiration of his Charlton contract at the end of June. The same story confirms that Generoso Rossi has left Loftus Road.

Royce appears to be first choice for next season, but we new have no keeper on the roster to back him up except for young Jake Cole.

A further report indicates that the R's are in talks with 38-year-old Dennis Wise about coming to Loftus Road. Wise was player-manager at Millwall for the last two seasons. The report indicates that Wise was a boyhood R's fan and would thus like to play for QPR.

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the official site, the R's are close to signing Chesterfield central defender Ian Evatt. Evatt, who can also play in midfield, was Chesterfield's player of the year in 2004. Just 23 years old, Evatt started his career with Derby County, making his debut in the Premiership. He made 37 appearances for the Rams before moving to Chesterfield. While at Derby, he made 13 appearances with Northampton on loan. He's been with Chesterfield since July '03 and has scored 9 goals in 84 league starts. He also scored one goal in six cup appearances.

The report says we put forth a "six-figure bid" that triggered a clause in his contract allowing us to begin discussions with him.

4. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first new signing of the summer is complete!

Ian Evett has signed with QPR through 2008.

Bill Power and Giani Paladini flew out to Majorca where Evett was on holiday to get his signature. We've paid Chesterfield "an undisclosed fee" and now have a new 23-year-old central defender/midfielder on the squad!

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...now to get the Shittu deal sewn up, and our central defense will be set for several years. The only thing that worries me is maybe we'll see more of Georges Santos in midfield now.

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't think so. I like Georges (I'm predisposed to, since I sponsored his kit last year!), but I think at his age and up-and-down level of play last year, his value is that he's an experienced and extremely versatile backup.

7. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The BBC reports that Dan Shittu is close to agreeing to a new three-year deal with QPR. His current deal was to end in 2006, so this would add two additional years.

The same report indicates that the R's are close to signing Aston Villa's Stefan Moore for an undisclosed fee. Moore is 21 years old and, according to the story, "has struggled with injuries since breaking into Villa's first team."

The forward has 9 career Premiership starts and 13 Premiership sub appearances for Villa, scoring two goals, plus another 8 various cup appearances. He's also gone on loan to Millwall, Leicester, and Chesterfield.

Last season, he made 7 appearances for Millwall (4 starts), including a start in the home leg of their UEFA Cup tie against Ferencvaros, then appeared once as a sub for Villa in the Premiership, before finishing out the season on loan at Leicester where he made 7 appearances (2 starts). He scored no goals last season.

8. QPR-USA

QPR-USA New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Cleveland USA
    From QPR MAD

Following various rumours in West London it seems that Ian Holloway has contacted former Chelsea striker Tore Andre Flo about the prospect of a move to Rangers.

Flo has been released from relegated Seria A side Sienna and has asked his agent to contact various clubs in the Championship in order to move back to England.

After being contacted, Holloway has taken up the option to talk to Flo's agent and have proceeded with preliminary discussions. Although wages are yet to be discussed it seems Rangers are Flo's preferred destination after enjoying great success in West London with Chelsea earlier in his career.

The former Norwegian international will be 32 next week and with Paul Furlong coming close to the end of his career, Holloway may gamble on Flo to complete his quartet of strikers in time for the season's start in August.

Meanwhile, Holloway has contacted Swindon Town boss Andy King about the availability of striker Sam Parkin.

Parkin, a self-confessed Rangers fan, has been constantly linked with the R's over the past two years may be ready to move following a mass exodus from the County Ground this summer.

King has initially rejected the enquiry but with the club in financial trouble the Robins directors may be prepared to offload the 24-year old in a cut-price deal believed to be in the region of £250,000.

Holloway is also trying to ignite a move for Bristol City captain Tommy Doherty. After deciding against a move for Dennis Wise, Holloway has turned his attentions to the Northern Ireland international to help strengthen the R's midfield.

9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stefan Moore has signed a three-year deal with QPR.

Official Site: Moore Signs

Official Site: Great Ability (quotes from Holloway)

Official Site: Big Ambition (quotes from Moore)

BBC.co.uk: Villa Striker Makes Switch to QPR

10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Spooky.
    I signed him from Villa reserves when managing QPR a few months ago.
    He scored a couple of times then got injured for 6 months - hmmmm.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Moore is that mystery "good young player we didnt think wed have a chance at getting" that there's been so much speculation about? Or was that Evatt. Anyway, seems like the club's making the right moves, lets hope Moore stays healthy.

12. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR Mad notes that the Daily Mail (on 17 June) reported that Richard Langley may be returning to QPR. It's an oft-repeated story this summer. Let's see if it pans out. I, for one, would like to have him back.

The same story notes that the Sun reported that we're after Greek center-back Geogious Kryriazis. The story says he's 25 and playing for Seria B side Arezzo. The article notes that we've just signed Evatt, so it doesn't seem likely. That being said, our only cover for Shittu and Evatt at the moment are Rose and Santos. Given the new transfer window rules, I doubt we'll want just four at that position.

13. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Shittu, who had one year left on his current deal, has signed a new three-year deal that will keep him at Loftus Road through June 2008. That's a major piece of the puzzle settled. Very happy he's decided to stick with the R's.

14. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest signing so far. Well done Olly & co.

15. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As QPRReport already mentioned, the R's have signed midfielder Tommy Doherty from Bristol City for an undisclosed fee. Doherty has signed a three-year deal with the club. Long mentioned as a Holloway target, Olly finally has added his man to what is getting to be a pretty well-stocked midfield.

(note: as I try to keep these "Transfer News/Rumours" threads fairly complete, I'll put a news item here even when it gets its own thread).

16. QPR Report

QPR Report New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I'm sorry if I broke the board protocol re continuing existing threads versus starting a new thread. I know every site is different re such things (Rivals vs .org for example) and I'm not 100% sure of this one.

17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. If anyone thinks an item deserves its own thread, they should post it as such. I'm always happy when new people participate on the QPR board here -- welcome! There's no "right way" to do things here -- hope I didn't make it seem that way. We're a fairly small community, but there are just enough QPR fans among regular Big Soccer users to make it interesting (and I think we also try to keep it active so that Big Soccer users who might come to support QPR will find QPR supporters to discuss things with).

I just like to include all transfer-related items on the Transfer News/Rumours thread as well, because that thread will regularly be "bumped" up to the top all season, while individual news threads won't.

FYI, I don't read the .org board frequently (although I check it sometimes), but do read the LSA board fairly often during the season and sometimes the QPRnet or official site boards too.

18. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club has confirmed that it met on Wednesday with former Chelsea and Rangers striker Tore Andre Flo about the possibility of him coming to Loftus Road. Holloway says it's a "100-1 shot" and "we are shooting for the stars," so it sounds like it's going to be down to whether he wants to come back to London despite QPR's relatively limited wage offer.

Flo moved to Chelsea for £ 300,000 in August '97 and scored 34 league goals in 59 starts and 53 sub appearances. After that performance he was sold on to Rangers for a whopping £ 14,000,000, according to Soccerbase. He scored 29 league goals in 44 starts and 9 sub appearances for Rangers from 11/00 to 8/02 before a £ 6,750,000 sale to Sunderland. His year at Sunderland -- 29 league appearances (23 starts) and 4 league goals -- from 8/02 to 8/03 was his last time in England. Since, he has been at Siena.

19. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, Simon Royce has now signed a two-year deal with the R's.

Also on the keeper front, young Jake Cole has signed a three-year deal. We were wondering whether Olly was going to bring in another keeper or go with Cole as the reserve -- the article seems to provide the answer, saying Cole is "likely to be Royce's number two at Loftus Road this season."

20. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Yep but only by and for those people that have an inability to pronounce or even know of the existence of the 'th' sound in English. Which is in the main, retards, people from down the road wearing blue and Germans.

22. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    i don't know, i'm pretty sure if urbandictionary says so, it must be true.

especially the bit about "staff bumming each other in the showers".

time to start supporting reading or something.

24. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    this is a key signing.

our midfield may be "well-stocked" but before this the only recognised central midfielders on our books were bircham and bean, bean isn't good enough. fair enough rowlands can play in the middle but he's better on the wing, ainsworth/cook are wingers and i dont know what miller is, but he's not upto much really. the others deployed in central midfield last season: santos hasn't got a position, and gallen is not a midfielder of any type. matthew rose can play there but is a in defence.

apparently this evatt guy can play central midfield as well, but i have to admit i had never heard of him before we signed him so i've no idea whether he really can or not.

hopefully this means we'll see bircham and docherty playing together as first choice with gallen up front, and santos relegated into the reserves never to be seen again!

25. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States